the lude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dalude

Well i have a 92 prelude with the H23 a-1 and i want more power.... What engine would be the best choice

the h23 isn't a bad motor. the basic i/h/e livens it up a good bit. i'd go with that or turbo it. but if you have to have a swap then go with the jdm h22.

I believe you would be happier with boost. The H23a has almost as much torque as the H22 already, and is a solidly built engine. VTEC is nice, but boost would be better, and make much more power. Boost might cost a little more.

I was told by one of my buddies who seems to be a honda genius that i would come out with more power if i just did a head swap.... How true is that?

Originally posted by dalude@Feb 23 2005, 09:11 PM
I was told by one of my buddies who seems to be a honda genius that i would come out with more power if i just did a head swap.... How true is that?
[post=465400]Quoted post[/post]​

It would be comparable to a H22A, but the cost of putting a H22A head on the H23, along with the modifications, is more expensive than buying a H22A.

I found a Jspec h23 vtech from this japanese dealer and was checking the specs on it...... How big of a turbo could an H23 handle?

Originally posted by dalude@Feb 24 2005, 04:41 AM
I found a Jspec h23 vtech from this japanese dealer and was checking the specs on it...... How big of a turbo could an H23 handle?
[post=465513]Quoted post[/post]​

Depends on how well you do the turbo speak.

You can figure out the lbs per minute, cfm, torque curve and power gains wanted, then do the math, or just ask someone that has boosted an H22A. I would go a little on the big side, but don't way overdo it. You'll want a T3/T40E combo. Your power gains and how well built the system is will determine how much turbo you need. Read in the turbo forum for a while.

Originally posted by dalude@Feb 24 2005, 04:41 AM
[post=465513]Quoted post[/post]​

i don't know if i would go with the h23 vtec. those came in the type-r accords i think and the price tag is quite hefty (4 grand?). i think it has 20 more hp than the h22, but honestly i don't think the extra price would be worth it if you're going to boost it anyway. stick with the h23 nonvtec or h22. easier on your wallet!

The H23 VTEC came in late-90's Accord wagons. It's got the same 200hp rating, with a couple more foot-pounds of torque occuring a little lower in the RPM range thanks to the 1/10 of a liter of extra displacement. It is indeed quite pricey, due to the limited production of the engine.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Feb 28 2005, 12:37 PM
The H23 VTEC came in late-90's Accord wagons. It's got the same 200hp rating, with a couple more foot-pounds of torque occuring a little lower in the RPM range thanks to the 1/10 of a liter of extra displacement. It is indeed quite pricey, due to the limited production of the engine.
[post=467159]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah you're right. i was thinking of the h22 type-s which had the 20 extra horses for some reason. i didn't know they came in the wagons though.

H23 vtec is also OBD2, causing even more problems. I have the same car as you and I put a H22a in it. The whole swap cost me less than 3k (including installation) and I am very happy with it because I can notice the extra power yet it is still very reliable. However, boost is also a good idea and will probably give you more power per $.

Originally posted by dalude@Feb 22 2005, 08:30 PM
Well i have a 92 prelude with the H23 a-1 and i want more power.... What engine would be the best choice
[post=464942]Quoted post[/post]​

Do not switch to the h22 it is not worth it at all if yo just go with the h23 and then boost you will be much happier just make sure you get all of the accessories from a good company. No aftermarket stuff or you wont get the power you will need.

h23boost......have you boosted the h23 yet? or do you know anyone who has....i have made my mind up....now it is just a matter of doing my research before i invest my loot.....where would be a good place that has reliable info on how to boost the h23?

"Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. It's a fountain of knowledge as far as turbos go. I've read it, and I can tell you that you will build a better turbo system after reading the book.

Back