the never ending d16a6 build up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lil_red_si

:mrgreen: hey guys...you may know me as whos_the_master's lil bro chris........this weeked i will be pulling my d16a6 out of my crx si to build a sohc monster.......here are my plans and please give me some imput on the build.....so far in mind i have

d16a6 block
d16z6 pistons
d16z6 rods
new rod bearings
pistons rings
block gaurd of aluminum filling
aluminum oil pan
(still thinking) d16z6 head ( or stock si head)
aem tru time cam gear
some kind of valve springs
stainless steel valves
act street clutch
lightweight flywheel ( around 7-8 lbs)

now for the turbo!!!
garret t3 turbo
obx turbo manifold with external wastegate flange
tial 50mm wastegate
skunk 2 intake manifold
greddy type rs blow off valve
stainless braided oil feed and return lines
random fmic
some ebay piping
apexi vafc for some tuning

how much horsepower am i looking at with about 7-9 pounds of boost......i want the motor reliable for everyday driving but can turn the boost up at the races for some power.....btw it is an 89 crx si...red in color ( that will do me well being red and loud!) does anyone have a similar setup to this.....give me some info on how u guys will think it will run....thanks guys :mrgreen:

I would go with some stronger internals if you are looking for something you can really have fun with if you are going to weekend race it. Might as well build it strong while ur in there if you have the budget for it.

im not lookin for a wrx killer or nething....just ya know....bout 200hp fun......i just want the power to be there when the pedal hits the floor......im not taking it to drag tracks or anything....just a daily driver that can handle some street races once in a while....what are some low budget internals besides like aires...je...and eagle

i dont want to buy another motor if i have one already........plus i always wanted to build a stock si motor up.....just gives me the "geeebies" dunno why tho......how is my setup guys?

i do not want VTEC i just want to lower my compression for the boost with those vtec pistons.....idk...ill figure a build....thanks newayz :mrgreen:

oh no.....i know adding the vtec will be better and i really appreciate the help man....but then i hafta wire my car for obd1......so it can add fuel for te vtec and i really dont feel like doing a wiring job....just some simple bolt on and tuning power...feel me......is there a way i can use a vtec switch but just use bigger injectors instead of wiring obd1 to use the vtec ecu.....and another reason i dont like switching to vtec is the dizzy....if i stay obd0 i cant use the obd1 dizzy and vise versa......sorta to annoying for me...but thanks for the help man i really appreciate the quick responses and help.....thanks :mrgreen:

tial 50mm WG. on top of the fact that there isn't such a thing, if there was, it is 18 times too big for your application, and more so, won't fit your manifold. toose obHexed manis are 35/38 flanged.

oh..lol.....my bad......well.... my motor is all sealed up and i dropped the original pistons in with new rings...now i just gotta find some turbo parts...anyone got anything? manifolds....chargers...piping?....my motor runs really strong and dosent smoke at all....im just ready to build some boost now :mrgreen:

I would definately not go with an obx manifold...I have heard bad things about those manifolds. Plus if you have the stock exhaust manifold from your motor you can buy an adapter plate for the turbo you buy and use that manifold. But that's just my 2 cents.

Back