The Official "Help Cel pick a car" Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I almost got my hands on a somewhat thrashed E46. Was thinking of grabbing it and throwing in a SBC, but I could find much on swapping one into that particular generation.

Last edited:
<3 gen 1/2 supras !
1034417_8e9183d2_vbattach389614_jpg0974ce1d28b36ec541f671775655c94e

Yeah, I'm so old and have been in the game so long, I still think of the Csaba Csere short story when I hear Rush's "Red Barchetta". (Another good car name... "CHAbah CHerry")

I love the Jalpa. They did it right with that car. There are no exposed screws, the glass actually fits in the damned holes, and the wheels look correct in the flares. I'm also a big Jarama fan. The Jarama is actually my favorite.

Oh, and Alpine Renault. That's a good name. "alPEENa RAY no"

Anyway, the BMW:

Alright, just done with a 6 hour session with the dealer. My financing, even after all of my hours talking on the phone and reviewing paperwork, turned out to be EXACTLY what they said it wasn't in the first minute of the conversation.

A lead generator. But I got a real loan at a somewhat better rate. Now the problem: I live in both CT and PA. The loan is approved for my PA holdings, but I have to register in CT. So tonight I have to somehow gain a utility bill with my name on it.

But fuck'em. They didn't tell me how to do it (Start -> All Programs -> Photoshop 7.0 -> Acquire TWAIN)

Anyway, the car is .. nice. I mean, Civics in my area of the same vintage cost the same - so it's totally better than that. And I'm getting a helluva deal on it ($6500 out the door with $1600 down). 119k miles. Serviced, new brakes and tires. Small scuff on rear bumper. Not even New England Acorn damage. HID lights too.

But the car has the standard rear ratio. And this thing whines like a Civic on the highway. I mean, it's more insulated so it's not HORRIBLE, but it grates on my teeth. I guess the other 330 I drove had the special order final drive. That thing was magic on the highway.

It's got lots of good materials, and the finishes are in good shape (No peeling of the wood trim or trim coating). The radio and everything works, so it appears to be good to go. But connected to the road ? Not by a long shot, Charlie.

The shifter gate is worn in. The shifts are so easy the cabin A/C can knock it clear into 4th gear. The clutch is the highest clutch I have ever driven, and the acceleration is very 4 cylinder like. I mean, a lightweight 4 cylinder, not an Accord or anything like that.

Highway ride is like an Accord too. The car seems awfully small on the inside. Seats are power and stuff, but can't seem to get it right. If I could shim the rear mounts a bit I think we would have a winner. The leatherette is FAR better than the leather that I had in the 330 I drove before. Autodimming rear mirror is the pen-ultimate techno-heathery that prolly cost a million dollars to develop, and turned out to be just a shitty rear view mirror.

Wheel doesn't go down far enough. NASCAR steering wheel position all the way, baby. It generously telescopes 1/4 of an inch in either direction :/

Unlike other MPG gauges, this one actually gives you a range. Normally these stupid gauges just go from "100" to "0" and nothing in between. This one actually seems to read something.

Focused HID lighting FTMFW.

I should be taking delivery tomorrow.

I knew what a Jalpa was, because I once read an article about an 80's Dodge Daytona that engineers modified with a Jalpa engine and custom AWD drivetrain.

I knew what a Jalpa was, because I once read an article about an 80's Dodge Daytona that engineers modified with a Jalpa engine and custom AWD drivetrain.

Now I'm going to have to find that article...

No one in their right mind would put a Lamborghini V8 with NO consideration for space saving into a FWD Dodge. It simply wouldn't fit. No way, no how.

No one in their right mind would put a Lamborghini V8 with NO consideration for space saving into a FWD Dodge. It simply wouldn't fit. No way, no how.
The Daytona engine bay is huge. It fit; the oil pan only had 1.5 inches of clearance though.

It was done in the 80's Cel. Did you miss that part?

EDIT* here's some better pics

Attachments

• Dodge Decepzione Article 1.jpg
    Dodge Decepzione Article 1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 668
  • Dodge Decepzione Article 2.jpg
    Dodge Decepzione Article 2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 380
  • Dodge Decepzione Article 3.jpg
    Dodge Decepzione Article 3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Oh wow, BUILT by Lambo and Chrysler. I figured it had to do with the owner swap back then. I always loved the 4 scissor door sedan concept- would've made an awesome family car.

The Portofino was the introduction of Chrysler's "Cab-Forward" design, and a precursor to the Neon and New Yorker platforms. In fact, the Portofino looks like a Concord, 30 years after the prototype.

What color you going with Cel?

Back