The people who get famous...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i won't lie that i make money off this site...

but i also spend hours upon hours a day working on things, dealing with spam, keeping the server updated, the software updated, fixing bugs, handling scammers as best i can/point of contact for people.

at the end oif the day, If this were a salary position, I'd make 50 cents an hour off this site.

the best new bands as of right now have to be 10years, and paramore.
10 years have some badass lyrics and the guy can sing fucking great. all the guys in that band just mix so well. even a distinct bassist, not just that 3 note follow along bullshit.
and paramore, the guitar and shit is kinda basic, but still done right. the bassist is pretty good for a guy that young. and hailey, my god can that girl sing.

neither of these bands can sell out a big venue, like an arena, they play small houses that will sell out.
i saw 10years last month, with filter, place wasnt even half full.

but you put kenny chesney in a coliseum that bitch sells out qiuck. could be bc im in nashville though.

avril, a lot of people hate her, either bc shes gone pop with her last album or bc most of her songs are written for her, at least the first two albums were. but the girl can sing. she has a wonderful voice. even live she sounds great. but people dont care about that.

they want trends. everybody wants a trend. its what sells.
half of the people who dont make it in the music business are the ones who wont go out and play.
paramore and 10 years got signed bc they went out on their own dime, or had a tiny ass label help and played small venues all over. catching local stage gigs and bullshit like that, and caught the attention of the right guy... being in the right place at the right time. also going out and looking for the right place helps.
if you just go to the same little shithole clubs and bars that are local and convenient then chances are nobody important is going to see you.

if you have connections, or money, those will always be your lifeline.
but one day, they will run out, and that person will be stranded. wondering why they are not loved anymore.

the biggest thing right now that destroys good music is piracy. the best bands have their music stolen the most. therefore their label doesnt make much off of them, then they get dropped and disappear. people say crap like "oh the band doesnt make anything off the cd's". well, that may be true, but it sure as hell helps keep them on the label thats going to fuel their success and therefore bring you more music that you like.
call me old fashioned but i still buy cd's. i have not downloaded any of my music.

The only Paramore song I heard is Misery I think. I liked it at first but got annoyed how the chorus goes/sounds after hearing it a lot on the radio.

^^^Avril's cover of Metallica's Fuel is pretty damn good.

The real pirates are the labels. Most new bands get completely screwed on their contracts and actually end up owing money instead of getting paid. The industry just needs to change it's business model and accept the fact that the '80s ended a long time ago. The only real advantage of a major label is their publicity power. But bands still get paid the old fashioned way, by relentless touring. An $18 CD costs about $3 to make, including all overhead and the minute artist royalty. Where does the other $15 go? Right to the label to pay for their extravagant life styles. That, is the problem.

And as far as country selling out a venue, that's exactly why I'm going to get hired by a working country band in the near future...as soon as I find the right one, that is. I have a friend who's had 45 gigs in the last three months including a week on a Caribbean cruise ship, playing with a local country artist. He makes a little over $2k a month not counting merch sales.

You don't strike me as the country type, but everyone has got to pay their bills...

The only Paramore song I heard is Misery I think. I liked it at first but got annoyed how the chorus goes/sounds after hearing it a lot on the radio.

i stopped listening to the radio a long time ago.
the only reason i ever heard paramore was bc i was sitting in my couch on my laptop. somebody had the tv on mtv (i fucking hate mtv) and i had just muted it instead of turning it off. then out of the corner of my eye her hair caught my attn, so i unmuted it and looked them up online.

Wow that first video sucks... It's almost like the vocoder didn't kick in at first, she's way off key and sounds like an american idol reject until 0:18 then bam, synthetic sounding and more on pitch.

Last edited:
Back