The Phish show I couldn't attend

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
http://www.mainetoday.com/phish/

You wanna see some articles with some devoted fans and 20 Miles of Traffic down RT1 in maine check out the portland news paper.

excerpts:

Promoters of the upcoming "It" festival - two days of concerts by the Vermont rock band Phish in remote Limestone - announced last week they would limit ticket sales to 60,000.

Limit sales to 60,000? For a concert by a band that's never had even one hit song? On a former Air Force base in the hinterlands of northern Maine?

Yup you read that correct, never had a hit song to date on any record charts.

More than 60,000 fans are expected to attend the festival, By 4 p.m. Friday, organizers estimated they had parked about 12,500 vehicles, each containing an average of two to three fans. More fans were apparently still on the way, according to the Maine Turnpike Authority. Between 1 p.m. and 8 p.m., more than 3,000 cars passed through the York toll plaza each hour.

God Damn 3000 cars per hour. that's got to be a guiness record.

030802traffic.jpg

I'm kinda upset I didn't get to go, at $140 a ticket all 15 of us that were supposed to go couldn't really afford the trip.

A really good friend of mine went to the Phish concert last weekend in Atlanta and she really enjoyed it. that is crazy the amount of people that are going there.

I caught both dates at alpine valley here in WI. I remember some of those two days... never the less I had a great time. that pic looks just like the exit on 43 south, phish fans are hard core. $140 a ticket!!!!!!!!!! I got both of mine for $101.50, damn good reserved seats too. btw, nice touch on the yem in your sn.

thank ya much,
"YEM" is my license plate on my car.
hence the CRX-YEM

It's a Phish thing , you wouldn't understand. :lol:

j/k
it's a kick ass phish jam.
called You Enjoy Myself.
take a look on some p2p network and find one I suggest a version circa 1998

Buncha reefer smoking hippies wearing birkenstocks and hemp jewelery.

No thank you. I'd rather go to a concert where people BATHE.

yeah, fucking tree huggin hippies. LOL JK :)

I can't stand phish, oh well

yeah everyone gets the misconception of phish fans. it's a 50/50 mix of wannabe fleece hippies (aka dave mathews type fans) and the old grungie hippie (aka the gratefuldead fan) which I can't stand (because they smell like petroully oils) but they are really down to earth cool people.

The two kids that I know that listen to phish are big burnouts, I used to toke with them when I was 15 the only difference is that I stopped and they still smoke out, and theat is almost 10 years later.

I am a dave fan and went to one of his shows, it was great I thought. But the part I didn't like was when the kid infront of me was so fucked up that he passed out and fell face first into the wet mud, just before that him and his buddies decided that they wanted to take a piss on the ground since it was raining and the angle of the grass, so he ended up falling face first into his own piss. Just don't like the drug scene so I had no simpathy for him :) idiot.

Milan

Great story Milan. That guy got OwN3D. ;)

My step sis is pretty hot, but she's a major burnout. NO sympathy for being jobless, worthless, and pretty much hopeless coming from my direction. You make your own life, IMHO.

Dave Rawks. I love his albums. Never been to one of his shows, though. I hear he puts on a pretty good stage act.

Phish. They're like the Grateful Dead. Their music sucks, they don't know what day it is, and the only reason people come to their shows is for the drugs. If the fans weren't stoned, they'd realize that the band can't play worth a shit and has little to no musical creativity.

:woo:

Preach on brother. The only reason they've got such a huge fan base now is that all the stoned Dead fans woke up out of their collective high and went "Whoa. We need another band. Jerry's, like, dead or something."

A lot of people who have never actually listen to a phish CD or concert say the say thing as Loco did.

Me on the other had have 350-400 phish CD's and have been to 50 of there concerts. I'd have to say I've scene at least half the shows sober. their music is nothing like the Dead's the cult like following my be the same and that's were any similarities end. I think the music is amazing, I'll admit they have a few songs that blow and vocally they aren't the best but it's more than just lyrics that constitute a great band.

Yeah I do agree that after the Dead stopped touring it picked up a lot of Dead fans, and then again a lot of dead heads already listened to phish before the dead stopped touring and beyond that most phish fans are actually yuppie college students.

You'd be surprised to see how many bands have got a chance to be heard because or the Dead and Phish. There's the Disco Biscuits, Moe., Flying Frog Brigade (lead by les claypool), Ratdog (Bob wiers band), The Other Ones, Bruce Hornseby, and the list goes on.

I've noticed that many more open-minded eccentric individuals appreciate the music for what it is not for what the stereotypical top/pop 40 culture thinks it should be.

In my own opinion pop 40 music is bringing the so called commercial music scene to it's screaching knees, I've yet to hear one band with an ounce of talent these days. Not one artist, (and I'm using the term artist loosely) is in it for the music and what it means to their fans these days it's all about the money. Conversely jam bands like The Dead , Phish, Allman Brothers are more in tune with there fans (I'm not saying they don't like the money either but it's not their first priority)

Actually, I live in the dirty hippie capital of the US...Boulder, Colorado. I've had more Phish and Grateful Dead crammed down my throat here than anyplace else I can remember. Their music is so unimpressive, so uninspiring. Maybe it's because I don't smoke pot. Maybe it's because I like music that doesn't just consist of running scales over and over for 15 minutes on end. I'm not really sure.

I used to really like Medeski Martin & Wood when I heard a few of their songs on a soundtrack. I went to see them live, or should I say, "live". The music was as exciting as a Geo Metro drag race. It was the first and only concert I've ever:
- fallen asleep at
- walked out of
Just jamming for a half an hour at a time (as MM&W did) has got to be the most boring and talentless thing I've ever seen. I'm not sure how being a "jam band" puts said band "in tune with their fans"...maybe it's because some drugs make you want to sit around and stare off into space to a soundtrack.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Aug 6 2003, 12:38 PM
Phish. They're like the Grateful Dead. Their music sucks, they don't know what day it is, and the only reason people come to their shows is for the drugs. If the fans weren't stoned, they'd realize that the band can't play worth a shit and has little to no musical creativity.

:werd:
I got hit on in Friendly's one day by a chick with a Phish shirt on.
She was hott too.
But she smelled like onion, armpit and ass...
But if she ever showered... :hitit:

Back