The post junk found in a junkyard thats better than average junkyard junk thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i dont know why this thread ever took off.......... this is one of my fav's. i think i will go to the junk yard this weekend! will post oics if i find anything good. last trip was for a window switch for my girls POS murcury mystic......... it was raining hard but i allways have fun at the ol' junk yards! need to find a battery box for my honda oddyssey! spelling sucks today!!!!

Apparently we don't have pick and pulls here in Texas anymore, according to state law they have to pull everything because of liability. Thank goodness there's still a couple yards that didn't get the memo.

I'm pretty sure its just the realization that the yard can both stop some theft, and charge $25 for removing that oh-so-precious ash tray. I could be wrong, but why would the state step in to protect random yards from potential lawsuits?

I'm pretty sure its just the realization that the yard can both stop some theft, and charge $25 for removing that oh-so-precious ash tray. I could be wrong, but why would the state step in to protect random yards from potential lawsuits?

Well the state knows best. /s

I have yet to find anything cool in any junk yards.

Apparently we don't have pick and pulls here in Texas anymore, according to state law they have to pull everything because of liability. Thank goodness there's still a couple yards that didn't get the memo.

Wow.. Really? That's kinda dumb if you ask me...
It won't be long and we won't be able to do anything anymore. :(

I dont have any pics but my friend found a '48 Ford flathead v8 last weekend to go in the project '31 pickup
with what appears to be a 4 speed tranny, according to the shift knob anyway

Last edited:
I dont have any pics but my friend found a '48 Ford flathead v8 last weekend to go in the project '31 pickup

Whaaaaaat?! I found a ford flathead v8 once on craigs for free. Before I could a hold of the guy it was gone.

My latest find isn't from a junkyard but from craigslist which I like to classify as one. I bought a set of 1.50 degree cambered spc ball joints for the cb7 for 50 bucks. Their brand new and still the box. The set brand new is worth 150.00 easily.

Except their prices didn't go up really. There's one or two places that still let you go in and pull your own little items, but the bigger yards are the ones that won't :(

If I had to guess it would be more limiting issues arising from people getting hurt, or something with lowering the cost of liability for salvage yards. Insurance lobbyist pushing it to make more money maybe, who knows. All I know is it's fucking lame.

I was pulling a set of bose speakers out of a new caddy, cut my finger bad enough to need stitches. I walked up to the front, paid for my speakers, and left.

The problem is, there are too many douche bags out there who would have sued the yard for cutting their own finger open while trying to pull speakers.

All they have to do is post a "No Douche Bags Allowed" sign outside. problem solved.

P.S. no pics at the moment, but I bagged 4 new bose speakers and a durabrand CD player for $25.00. Mounted them in a box, wired 'em up, and now I have jams in my semi.

Found a Silvia front end on a 240 once, really shoulda snagged that...

Couple of squeezes with the sheet metal press, and the crank sprocket is good as new. Crank itself was also bent, but I straightened it. New tube in the back. Everything is lubed up and working 100% I have a $11.50 mongoose to fuck around on! ($7 purchase price +$4.50 tube)(I remember when mongooses were $450+ bikes.. They are $99 at wal-mart now! ha!!)
I remember paying around $250 for my old one. Then less than 2 years in I got a Haro Backtrail frame for free. Swapped everything over. First project that involved wheels, haha.

Sold that bike at my yard sale for $25. I got to play with it for a few days, got tired of it, sold it for more than double what I paid. If only everything in life went as well.

I'm sorry :(

For what? I bagged an entire stereo system for $25. It more than does the job I ask it to do. I mean, I could have gone to the audio shop and spent $400 on speakers and $600 on a head unit and had a nicer sysem, but this thing is in a clunky, loud ass, full of wind noise semi. Not exactly an amazing stage for high end audio equipment. I'm all smiles.

Last edited:
At an attempt to try and keep this thread going and seeing if there were any new finds out there, This is my find. I was just looking to hope and find some random things and trying to fix my Speedometer.
Speedometer (not the whole cluster), Windshield wiper, Cigarette lighter bracket and wires. - $30
Not bad, I was at least happy to not have to rig my wipers anymore.

Then on the way home I stopped by a body shop/used car lot to look in the junk cars and was looking for a tail light or comer lights and the guy and I was talking and he opens the hood, on this coupe was a Strut tower bar and I was like, "Hey.... How much?" He says 20, I say okay ^_^ Not sure what brand it is but even still, its definitely worth the $20 While getting it I asked if I could get the VSS too and hes like sure. so Strut tower bar & VSS for $20. :D

Yep, I don't really want to do much to my sedan because I want either a hatch, crx, or del sol. I'm getting bored, trying to save up and get one of the mentioned probably from a dealer. :(
Anyways.
I hope its more than 5$, anyways I also got a VSS so I don't think I got ripped that bad if I did.
DSCN0559_1_.JPG

DSCN0559_1_.JPG

Back