The Quest for a House Saga-Part 1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

you might have a hard time getting a mortgage of any value with 2 rental properties hitting the debt to income ratio-- especially since it won't be rented at the time of your closing (as you'll still be living there). Talk to your lender about that option before you get set on it.

Well B you may be smarter then the first mortgage guy i talked too at Webster Bank. He indicated to me all we needed was a rental contract and a deposit from the renters and he could use 75% of the rental income to include in our income when applying for the mortage. This would have qualified us for way more then we need.

Well he was dead wrong. Not only does it not count in the income, it also gets used on the expense(debt) side. It's a doulble negative.

Thank god I shopped around and found a guy who knew what he was doing. The government no longer allows banks to include rent for purposes of income when the rental property doesn't have atleast 30% equity in it. People were getting their houses and just walking away from the mortgage on the rental.

Right now we are very close to still qualifying. It's still in the works. It's not looking the greatest but he may be able to pull it off. He ran it with 5% down initially, i upped it to 10% down which should convince the PMI company's to insure the mortgage.

We'll see..if not we will wait it out 6 months or so, save even more money, get our scores up and try again.

It's gonna be a close one but if i was a betting man i would bet it doesn't go through.

If not we will just have to work on getting our credit scores up, mines ok hers is what is killing us. Our mid scores are 662 and 634.

Why not just sell the place? you can always pick up another rental a few years down the road when you're in a better finanical place.

Another thing to consider is if you currently have any kind of FHA style mortage on the condo. Those mortgages are specifically for owner-occupied places. And if you no longer live there, you are required to re-fi out to a conventional.

Well if this doesn't work out we'll have to talk about selling. The problem is its going to cost us $31,000 to sell her place due to it being upside down. We could move back into my condo and live there and save up and try again next year and try to sell my place at the same time or just rent it again. At least her condo would be gone and our DTI ratio will be very low.

I'm not to sure about the re-fi comment. I think because it's been over 5 years that the rule does not effect us(i can't confirm that though). I know that when i got my CHFA i was tol i had to occupy it for 5 years. She has been in hers for over 6. Also how can you re-fi an upside condo without it being fannie or freddie backed? She is already higher then the current rates at 5.375%

just have to wait and see how it all plays out

got approved......going to agent today and putting in offer...fingers crossed

It is a pain for mortgages right now, they are looking at everything. Also, most mortgage brokers seem to be clueless. I talked to 3 of them and I got 3 different opinions of what I can afford.

It is a pain for mortgages right now, they are looking at everything. Also, most mortgage brokers seem to be clueless. I talked to 3 of them and I got 3 different opinions of what I can afford.

yes they are looking at everything.....basically i was told that when we get our wedding money checks, we have to deposit them into a different account so it doesn't show up in the account we are using for the downpayment of the house. i had to send them proof of a lot things. Or else we are going to have to get a copy of each check we deposit and show it as proof of where it came from.

uhggggg.....went to make an offer yesterday....found out there was going to be another offer. We put in our best offer, guess we will have to wait and see.

nice. now sign your life away

haha, nah we'll be fine..im excited, inspection next week....closing Nov 16th.....freaking excited as hell... already have renters for her place lined up(not signed yet just in case) .

very nice place. enjoy!

yeah...they dumped over 40k in the kitchen, not even sure how much on the sun room but it was built in 2010. They are leaving us that sun room set and a couple couches but not exactly sure which ones.

inspection went exrtemely well today, no major issues, everything is 5 years old or newer...inspector had no concerns....only a few things needed to be looked at but very very minor.

Now we just have to get past the appraisel and hopefully be all set

Ask the realtor for a few min to discuss with the wife and knock out a quickie in the bathroom. lol

Back