The Quest for a House Saga-Part 1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Funny story.

Last year my roommate was moving out so we got new carpet put in for the next person that was moving in. The old carpet was ratty and the new carpet was nice and plush.

I went up stairs to a roommate about something and thought he was still working in the empty bedroom still. Sure enough his GF, in a very loud scream, "DON"T COME IN". And the door was promptly slammed. Apparently they were breaking it in before they moved to Maryland.

well...i just developed bi-lateral carpal tunnel and bi-lateral epicondylitis from signing all the mortgage application documents. Overnighting them today

spoke to the real estate agent, she indicated the mortgage lender's appraiser said he will have absolutely no problem appraising this house for the purchase price. Now just need him to send a report the the lender and get the mortgage commitment. Looks like things are moving in the right direction.

New Home break in sex set for 11/16

O yeah and i already have a rental contract in place...i made the rental agreement contingent upon us getting the house and if for any reason it doesn't go trhough, the rental ageement becomes null and void

Appraisal came in at $332,000, sale price is $327,500 with $5500 back at closing so we are in very good shape. Loan has been submitted to underwriting, should hear something by 9/26.

This process is such a pain in the ass. Even if we get the approval on 9/26, they can still ask for more statements in November before closing.

If we get this house, it will be the last one i buy, i'll just rent

It is a pain in the ass, you can thank everyone who bought a house they couldn't afford and mortgage companies that let them. Hopefully all goes well.

It is a pain in the ass, you can thank everyone who bought a house they couldn't afford and mortgage companies that let them. Hopefully all goes well.

Yeah that was part of the problem, IMO the real problem was the credit default swaps that "insured" those mortgages without goverment regulation.

Basically(much more details to it), The Insurance company, we'll call it it " Steve's Insurance", insured the Bank, we'll call it, "Joe's Bank" though a credit default swap. Only it's not an insurance policy so it's not goverment regulated, meaning that Steve's Insurance didn't have to keep that money in reserves. So when Mr Johnson couldn't pay his mortgage to Joe's Bank, Steve's insurance didn't have the money to pay Joes Bank.

Only there were trillions of dollars of credit swaps and millions of Mr. Johnson's.

Last edited:
after developing high blood pressure and thoughts of violence towards underwriters, we finally got the mortgage commitment. closing is set for 11/16. Now I just have to get through a minor detail, getting married on Saturday.

Closing on Friday....i really hate packing....it really just does amaze me how much stuff you acquire over the years...went furniture shopping today, well actually, we have been to 9 stores over the past two weeks..finally hit Puritan and got a family room, kitchen and dinning room set. Still need some misc things like end tables and TV stands/mounts but that stuff i'm getting at Walmart, they sell Sauder which is pretty good furniture.

Now just need Friday to come along to get they Keys....I can't wait to have a cigar and scotch on my deck

I would have to agree with that.

It's ok as long as you NEVER attempt to move it. The same could be said for most of the stuff at IKEA.

Congrats and good luck with the move.

Just was looking back through the thread and the house is beautiful. Your taxes alone are just a couple grand less than we pay a year TOTAL to the bank, including taxes and insurance. I know prices out that way are outrageous. A house in the midwest of similar size would probably go for 250ish right now.

Hmmmmm Sauder get's good reviews usualy 4-5 stars on their stuff. It's just going to be a TV stand and two end tables for the family room. No big furniture. I cannot find a Corver TV stand that's "wood"(no glass or metal ones) that holds a 51" TV for around $200 other then Sauder

Sauder Harbor View Corner Entertainment Credenza, for TVs up to 61" - Walmart.com

Thanks for the compliments on the house. It's a very nice house, well taken care of, completely updated and high end. Everything we wanted. CT is a very expensive state to live in and houses are $$$ for anything updated.

As far as kids, no plans, if they come they come and we will be happy and have the room for them and not have to sell the house and upgrade to a bigger house.

I look at the source of those reviews with questionable eyes ;). If you're willing to get 1-2 years out of it then its a good buy, if its something you're looking to keep onto for a few years, than I'd look at a furniture store or have one built.

Or mount the tv on the wall.

So the East Coast is all oil heat right? Any idea what it costs to keep yourself warm for a winter?

Ok makes sense. We have good (relatively) cheap natural gas here. If you're out in the sticks most people use propane.

Oil here and...i guess i'll find out....We have zone heating and cooling so we don't have to waste oil heating the whole house at once. Plus i like my house around 64 tops in the winter.

Oil does have an advantage , per our inspector, oil water heaters have the fastest recovery rate for hot water compared to gas and electric.

As far as Sauder is concerned, it should be fine. It's just going to sit there with a tv on it so im not to concerned about it to much as I would be with a Couch set or a bed.

Back