The REAL engine swap for a 240...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

^^ooops...That wasn't the pic i wanted to show ya but o well..

:worthy: to your buddy....Nice setup... :wub: something different..

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Jul 19 2005, 06:23 PM

And for the RB26DETT comment... You deserve to be SMACKED! An RB w/ a big turbo will MAYBE get you into low 12's to high 11's... And would cost you FIVE TIMES what this small block setup cost. Sure you could get it into the 10's... But don't even THINK about running it on the street, unless you run it on pure cam2, plan on replacing o2 sensors left & right from the constant cam2, and worry about it every time you drive it...
[post=528704]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol: Gimme a break dude. There is a plethora of 9 and 10 second 240's and Skylines out there running the RB26DETT - Single Turbo setups that are more than streetable.

Here is one:

9 second street legal GTR

Just google it man. I'm not denying the fact that it will, obviously, be more expensive considering all the parts have to come from Japan for the most part.

I dunno man, the way i reacted to this 240 of your buddies is the same way I'd react to a SBC in an EG hatch....cool and all, but ya didn't have to look past Honda to get that kind of performance.

Originally posted by adnoh@Jul 19 2005, 04:55 PM
cool and all, but ya didn't have to look past Honda to get that kind of performance.
[post=528721]Quoted post[/post]​

Dollars to make a Honda-powered car run 11s: a whole f'in lot.

Dollars to make an SBC-powered car run 11s: NOT a while f'in lot.

It's mainly a cost issue for most people. Why put out 8 grand or more for an RB making 500 hp when you can build a 500hp SBC for like 3-4 grand?

Originally posted by Battle Pope+Jul 19 2005, 07:29 PM-->
@Jul 19 2005, 04:55 PM
cool and all, but ya didn't have to look past Honda to get that kind of performance.
[post=528721]Quoted post[/post]​

Dollars to make a Honda-powered car run 11s: a whole f'in lot.

Dollars to make an SBC-powered car run 11s: NOT a while f'in lot.

It's mainly a cost issue for most people. Why put out 8 grand or more for an RB making 500 hp when you can build a 500hp SBC for like 3-4 grand?
[post=528735]Quoted post[/post]​

You mean 3-4 grand to make a 600 hp SBC... ;) And the torque to match, and then some... :)

And that RB26DETT is doing 9's... For a "tad" more money.. So then you pay for $50k for the car, then another $30-$50k into it. $100k into that 240, he'd be running 7 seconds in the 1/4... :blink:

And he doesn't have to make those stupid ass JDM poses either. :lol:

Man....did you guys ever twist this post into a "cost vs. power" arguement.

Where in ScrapinSi's original post does it say "my buddy was really short on cash, so he decided that a more cost effective way to make power would be to install a short block Chevy engine......." NOWHERE.

How much did that Skyline cost? Who fucking cares how much. It's a street legal 9-second RB26DETT with a single turbo, just like I said, and just like I was told wasn't streetable. And christ, I'm more than certain that you could make that skyline out of a rusted-ass old 240 and still run the same times. There's your cost savings.

And when most people swap a RB26, you swap the AWD system as well, so there's your AWD.

And one more thing...... how much would you like to see a sweet ass Dodge Charger R/T powered by a turbo B16??? It'd look pretty wierd wouldn't it? Well, thats how I feel about this one....it's cool and diffrent and best of luck to him, but NO THANKS.

*edit* But those JDM poses are pretty gay, aren't they.....:lol:

Originally posted by adnoh@Jul 19 2005, 08:56 PM

Where in ScrapinSi's original post does it say "my buddy was really short on cash, so he decided that a more cost effective way to make power would be to install a short block Chevy engine......." NOWHERE.

How much did that Skyline cost? Who fucking cares how much. It's a street legal 9-second RB26DETT with a single turbo, just like I said, and just like I was told wasn't streetable. And christ, I'm more than certain that you could make that skyline out of a rusted-ass old 240 and still run the same times. There's your cost savings.

And when most people swap a RB26, you swap the AWD system as well, so there's your AWD.

And one more thing...... how much would you like to see a sweet ass Dodge Charger R/T powered by a turbo B16??? It'd look pretty wierd wouldn't it? Well, thats how I feel about this one....it's cool and diffrent and best of luck to him, but NO THANKS.

[post=528746]Quoted post[/post]​

:boxing:

Bahaha... :lol: ok you win....But I still like scrapin's buddys car....
stop crying puss... :) ..jk.

again...Nice job...
:thumbsup:

there are plenty of high horsepower skylines running on the street. my fried showed me a video of a 1200hp r33 downshifting to 4th at 100mph, barking, and leaving a bike like it were a pinto. and this thing runs on street. good luck to your friend on runnin that 240 on roads. hed better haul it on trailer if he ever wants to see that thing even go through a mcD's drive thru. now im not bashing, i think it is clever. but pesonnally i am a fn of power AND rarity. like RB's and such. Like the turbonetics solara. now tht is a wicked drag car.
By thewy to all drag followers-
@ Nopi Bristol

Street Glow Solara - New Driver - 6.30
Chevy Cobalt - Solara's old driver - 6.13

:( cobalts suck

Originally posted by HollowJDM@Jul 19 2005, 08:16 PM
there are plenty of high horsepower skylines running on the street. my fried showed me a video of a 1200hp r33 downshifting to 4th at 100mph, barking, and leaving a bike like it were a pinto. and this thing runs on street. good luck to your friend on runnin that 240 on roads. hed better haul it on trailer if he ever wants to see that thing even go through a mcD's drive thru. now im not bashing, i think it is clever. but pesonnally i am a fn of power AND rarity. like RB's and such. Like the turbonetics solara. now tht is a wicked drag car.
By thewy to all drag followers-
@ Nopi Bristol

Street Glow Solara - New Driver - 6.30
Chevy Cobalt - Solara's old driver - 6.13

:( cobalts suck
[post=528753]Quoted post[/post]​

#1. That Turbonetics solara is a full tube frame car with nothing but a solara skin on it.. This is a full frame car. With a twin turbo v8. There are COUNTLESS twin turbo Small And Big Blocks running 5 and 6 second 1/4 mile times...
#2. How much money do you think it takes to make a 1200hp R33? Little more than $4k...
#3. Power & Rarity? How many 240's do you see that have a carb on them? :huh: And with Zumi Headers?

I just have to revert... There is no replacement for displacement... I'm a vtec fan... but it still dont work the same.. :)

Originally posted by Estorvito+Jul 19 2005, 08:08 PM-->
@Jul 19 2005, 08:56 PM

[post=528746]Quoted post[/post]​

:boxing:

Bahaha... :lol: ok you win....But I still like scrapin's buddys car....
stop crying puss... :) ..jk.

again...Nice job...
:thumbsup:
[post=528750]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh fuck, by all means I still like the SBC 240, it's a cool car, just not my cup of tea in the least bit.

And dont call me puss, slut :lol: jj.

And for the "no replacement for displaassss bla blah blah" comment. Big displacement motors are like tampons.....every pussy needs one.

Oh fuck, by all means I still like the SBC 240, it's a cool car, just not my cup of tea in the least bit.

And dont call me puss, slut jj.

And for the "no replacement for displaassss bla blah blah" comment. Big displacement motors are like tampons.....every pussy needs one.

Damn..You canadians are uurrgghhhh....enough....jk. :p
Crystal, Bay beach is the shizzt though aint it.? bahaha.. ;)

would like to see that beast on the dyno...

Originally posted by adnoh@Jul 19 2005, 09:03 PM
Big displacement motors are like tampons.....every pussy needs one.
[post=528770]Quoted post[/post]​

Kinda like Civics with b16's.. :owned:

"Man....did you guys ever twist this post into a "cost vs. power" arguement.

*edit* But those JDM poses are pretty gay, aren't they....."

:ditto:

except people dont usually swap AWD when doing RB swaps. every 240 with a rb(20,25,26)- s13 or s14, has had a RWD tranny. i new a kid that had a RPS13 and he swapped out his blown SR with a rb26dett but i dunno if he used the sr tranny or rb25 tranny. i dont know if the sr tranny fits.

whatever, the 240 v8 is like a 280zx with a v8 in my opinion, its pretty cool, but i would have used a different motor. good luck w/ it

jdm poses are stupid

the kids that support the NO THANK YOU OPTION.... I am laughing at you....

its 4 grand for a RB26DETT that wasnt stollen and is worth owning, then you have to find a Trans and thats atleast another grand maybe more... so call it 4 even if you found everything with a perfect deal...

you can buy a complete LS1 with a 6speed trans for about 2 grand and be running about 100 more horses....

and I really like the small block idea, but not from the factory..... still needs to be a turbo KA

Originally posted by NissanNiNjA2nd@Jul 20 2005, 02:24 PM

its 4 grand for a RB26DETT that wasnt stollen and is worth owning, then you have to find a Trans and thats atleast another grand maybe more... so call it 4 even if you found everything with a perfect deal...

you can buy a complete LS1 with a 6speed trans for about 2 grand and be running about 100 more horses....

and I really like the small block idea, but not from the factory..... still needs to be a turbo KA
[post=529120]Quoted post[/post]​

Not to mention the RB is a LOT heavier than the LS1.

Originally posted by Battle Pope+Jul 20 2005, 04:29 PM-->
NissanNiNjA2nd
@Jul 20 2005, 02:24 PM

[post=529120]Quoted post[/post]​

Not to mention the RB is a LOT heavier than the LS1.
[post=529123]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the 406 in this car, and its GREAT for drag... But i would LOVE to take an S13, drop in an LS1 with a 6 speed attached to it, with the Independent 240 rear and an R200 LSD... :huh: And maybe some different gears... I just love fuel injection for some reason... :)

Back