The Right does it again!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I stand more on the side of ahedau in this situation. Children have inocent minds and should be able to keep them that way. There are a lot of messed up people that want to take this inocence. (By the way inocence is not the same is ignorance.) When I have my three year old watching PBS cartoons I dont want him to be exposed to other peoples tax paid brainwashing schemes trying to fill my kid's head with an alternate agenda no matter what that is. Cartoons are not simple and fun anymore, they try to bring adult issues to children who should'nt have to worry or think about adult issues till a more mature age. As far as right and wrong being relative thats a bunch of crap that explains why society is the mess that it is. People try to rationalize the wrong they do as right all the time. The example that someone gave of someone stealing food to feed there families demonstrates this, sure the person is trying to feed their family which they view as right but the stealing action is still wrong no matter the justification.

Originally posted by StarBellieAngel@Feb 3 2005, 02:48 PM
here's another example.

my father has been in a wheelchair his whole adult life. my kids have been around it, and they see it as a 'normal' thing... it's no less than walking people. some children ask my father where his leg went, out of pure curiosity, and some parents say 'no no honey, don't say that' and get flustered. it can be paralleled (though not the same) because, if the kids are AWARE of it, they won't 'embarrass' the parent, and they will learn that people are different, and that doesn't make them any less of a person. just as a little black girl asked me one day 'is he your baby?' i said 'yes.' she says to me 'how come he's brown?'

very innocent questions, but with even a little bit of exposure, and in appropriate ways, can teach them about how the world is. doesn't mean you have to like it, but it can ease some parents worry or embarrassment (which i think is absurd)

you may think i'm off my rocker, but i think kids should be aware of the world, and what goes on in it, so they can make better choices. if they know about something, and research it, then make a clear decision, they can handle ANY situation the same way, and they learn. it shouldn't be a big deal. and if you handle it like it ISN'T a big deal, they know it's not 'taboo'.
[post=455907]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree with you. 100%.

However, what started this thread was introducing the subject of sam sex couples very innocently in a television show marketed toward children. I can understand why that can be viewed as a problem and attempted to explain the reasons.

It ballooned from there into a quaigmire about parenting skills.

I believe right & wrong is black & white. So you stole an apple to feed a starving child--its still wrong. So you killed the person that molested your child----its still wrong. So you lied to your significant other in an effort to perserve their feelings---its still wrong & not a good idea in the long run.

If you choose to believe differently, so be it. And why is it that because I have morals that are different from your's that I am automatically "...on moral high ground..."? I am to infer from that statement YOU believe your morals are lower than mine?

I try not to preach to any of you or anyone in person. I do offer an alternative opinion and am as adamant in defending it as you are. Because I do not choose to accept the notion that "doing what it right in yor own mind" is good for my kids, our community, the government, etc. doesn't mean I am wrong any more than your belief in "moral relativism" means that you're wrong.

Originally posted by ahedau+Feb 3 2005, 07:39 PM-->
StarBellieAngel
@Feb 3 2005, 02:48 PM
here's another example.

my father has been in a wheelchair his whole adult life.  my kids have been around it, and they see it as a 'normal' thing... it's no less than walking people.  some children ask my father where his leg went, out of pure curiosity, and some parents say 'no no honey, don't say that' and get flustered.  it can be paralleled (though not the same) because, if the kids are AWARE of it, they won't 'embarrass' the parent, and they will learn that people are different, and that doesn't make them any less of a person.  just as a little black girl asked me one day 'is he your baby?' i said 'yes.' she says to me 'how come he's brown?'

very innocent questions, but with even a little bit of exposure, and in appropriate ways, can teach them about how the world is.  doesn't mean you have to like it, but it can ease some parents worry or embarrassment (which i think is absurd)

you may think i'm off my rocker, but i think kids should be aware of the world, and what goes on in it, so they can make better choices.  if they know about something, and research it, then make a clear decision, they can handle ANY situation the same way, and they learn.  it shouldn't be a big deal. and if you handle it like it ISN'T a big deal, they know it's not 'taboo'.
[post=455907]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree with you. 100%.

However, what started this thread was introducing the subject of sam sex couples very innocently in a television show marketed toward children. I can understand why that can be viewed as a problem and attempted to explain the reasons.

It ballooned from there into a quaigmire about parenting skills.

I believe right & wrong is black & white. So you stole an apple to feed a starving child--its still wrong. So you killed the person that molested your child----its still wrong. So you lied to your significant other in an effort to perserve their feelings---its still wrong & not a good idea in the long run.

If you choose to believe differently, so be it. And why is it that because I have morals that are different from your's that I am automatically "...on moral high ground..."? I am to infer from that statement YOU believe your morals are lower than mine?

I try not to preach to any of you or anyone in person. I do offer an alternative opinion and am as adamant in defending it as you are. Because I do not choose to accept the notion that "doing what it right in yor own mind" is good for my kids, our community, the government, etc. doesn't mean I am wrong any more than your belief in "moral relativism" means that you're wrong.
[post=456081]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Originally posted by Blanco@Feb 3 2005, 10:40 PM
Ok, one last statement.

You guys are what's wrong with America, not us.
[post=456155]Quoted post[/post]​

hehe dream on, brother.

Back