the smoking bans and business

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Why did they do it? Because environmentalists and the government don't really care about people, the economy, or anything other than their personal interests.

i think bars are ok to smoke in, but restraunts, gimmie a break. i hated smelling smoke while eating.

Yeah, restaurants and things should be smoke-free. But bars? I mean, come on. One could argue that the smell of liquor is offensive. I don't know, it just makes me mad that people could willfully damage the economy in such a way.

again, you guys are missing the point.

Smoking bans were put in NOT to protect you, the customer. They were put in place to help lower the cost of health insurance and/or general well being of the EMPLOYESS of the business.

It's retarded.

no matter what i like to see it in place..... i know if we had bars with it in place they will gain my biz. i dont go out that much because i find it hard to breath in bars that smoking is in. we have a bar in town that is smoke free and it is busy as fuck but spendy

ok let me ask you this...

Would you rather see your favorite place to eat:

A- go out of business
B- allow smoking in a PROPERLY ventilated room, per gov't spec.

i lost my dad when he was 43 because of smoking and my mom almost died last year from it. no matter what anyone says i will support the banning of it

Pinstripes Sports Bar Closed 100% 100% Norwich CT
Pinstripes Sports Cafe Sports Bar Closed 100% 100% Norwich CT

My favorite bar... RIP... :(

Brown Derby Tavern 50% Montville CT

My other favorite bar... Thank god for regulars... But they have lost alot of business... I know the owners...

EDIT: But let me add that I am 15 months smoke free, and it is refreshing to go to the bars and not come home REAKING of cigarette smoke.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 28 2004, 04:44 PM
ok let me ask you this...

Would you rather see your favorite place to eat:

A- go out of business
B- allow smoking in a PROPERLY ventilated room, per gov't spec.
[post=438419]Quoted post[/post]​

if every place has to follow the rule its not like people who smoke will stop gong because they can't smoke there anymore. i didn't see a rash of buisness shut down when smoking in public places was not allowed in CA. maybe that is just because CA > CT? :)

La Primavera Restaurant Closed 100% 100% Meriden CT
When the statewide smoking ban snuffed out cigarettes in his bar area last October, 80 percent of his business went up in smoke. The restaurant was one of the few family restaurants remaining in the city.

Fucking hole in that wall crappy shit food, they are just looking for something to blame it on

Being in the food biz Id puit money on it that half of that list where places went out of business were not becuase of smoking bans.

Restaurants are NOT easy to run and keep up. Every week it seems there's a new place that opens. We had another store like ours open up awhile ago and we took about a 50% loss in business however we picked it back up over time, also you CANNOT smoke in our place not even up front near the bar.

A restaurant owned by joe blow goes out of business becuase of poor management or other restaurants taking a good chunk of their business. Do I A tell someone or the media that it was becuase I wasnt able to run the place or I wasnt able to out do the other restaurants or do I say well they baned smoking and since then it was alll down hill.

Restaurants go out of business ALL THE TIME. I wish people would stop bitching about wah wah its becuase of this wah wah and run a good food place and make money off of the FOOD.

Smoking or no smoking you still have to eat.

I agree with you jeff- and i'm not coming off as a whiner.

but i'm speaking from personal experience.

me, e, bill, etc used to go to a local diner at least 4 times a week for dinner-ish/burgers, coffee and just a place to be. we all smoke.
there were times were i ate all 3 meals in the day there without leaving... just downing coffee, and hanging out.
the owners love us. great us, shake our hands when we walk in. the waitreses fight over whos section we get to sit in.
we loitered- but we gave them a shit load of business and we always tip well. up to 50% sometimes if we didn't get much food or whatever. be that as it may, we paid our stay.

in the past 3 months, i think i've been there once.

they have def. felt the effects.

at 2am bar closing, you used to never be able to park in the lot.

now, you can get a front row spot just about any hour of the day.

I guess my point is this. Why should the state mandate what an owner can do under his own roof?
If a restuarant doesn't want a smoking section- so be it.
but to say they can't, i think is just stepping it up too far.

i really don't mind not smoking in the restuarant- but at a diner and a bar, i think it should be allowed.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 29 2004, 12:17 AM
I guess my point is this. Why should the state mandate what an owner can do under his own roof?
If a restuarant doesn't want a smoking section- so be it.
but to say they can't, i think is just stepping it up too far.
[post=438495]Quoted post[/post]​

thats like saying you should allow fucking in a resteraunt. if the owner wants it then whose to stop him from allowing it?
im all for people doing what they want, and owners having control over there own business, but there has to be a limit.
before the ban, in most resteraunts, the only thing discerning smoking from non smoking section was at most a wall. lots of places were just open areas with one side labeled smoking and one labeled non smoking.
1 person can go into a fully seated room in a resteraunt and light up a cigarette and automatically ruin or lower the dining experience for that entire room full of people. the majority of people dont want to smell/taste/see cigarette smoke everywhere when they are trying to eat.
the cleaner a place looks/feels/smells the more frequently im going to go there and the higher im going to tip for my service.

so as a business owner would you rather cater to the 500 people that are going to come in and eat for lunch and want a smoke free environment, or would you rather cater to the 50 or so people who want to smoke, when all they have to do is walk a short distance to smoke outside the resteraunt.

as far as bars go, i think its ridiculous to ban smoking. smoking and drinking just goes hand in hand. i know a ton of people who only smoke when they drink. its more of a social thing. and i doubt very many drunk people would be bothered by the smoke.

Originally posted by micah@Dec 29 2004, 03:26 AM
thats like saying you should allow fucking in a resteraunt. if the owner wants it then whose to stop him from allowing it?

sure.

so long as there's a sign on the door that says "This is a Fuck-Full establishment." Kinda like how they have all the "This is a smoke-free estrablishment" signs now.

so as a business owner would you rather cater to the 500 people that are going to come in and eat for lunch and want a smoke free environment, or would you rather cater to the 50 or so people who want to smoke, when all they have to do is walk a short distance to smoke outside the resteraunt.

i disagree with this a lot.

Perhaps its demographics, but here, i'd say its 500 smokers vs 50 non-- especially in "diner-like" enviroments. we're not talking about country clubs and stuff here.

as far as bars go, i think its ridiculous to ban smoking. smoking and drinking just goes hand in hand. i know a ton of people who only smoke when they drink. its more of a social thing. and i doubt very many drunk people would be bothered by the smoke.
[post=438544]Quoted post[/post]​

word. i really could care less about the restuarants. it was really only a matter of time. Mcdonalds banned it like 15 years ago- it was only a matter of time.

but the bar ban is just fucking stupid.

everytime you want a smoke, you have to go out side, and then get re-carded or whatever by the bouncer every time. get all stamped up with ink and shit. and then you can't take your drink out the door. and if you leave it, its gone. so you have to have a smoke only inbetween drinks. blah.

when i'm president, i'm going to let the business owner decide what he wants for his establishment.

I also thought about this-

In the state of CT, in order to allow smoking inside, you have to post something like 60% of all sales coming from tombacco products- thus allowing cigar bars to stay in business.

a very easy way to allow smoking-
instead of $10 cover....
make everyone buy a pack of smokes at the door for a rediculous price- like $20.
yeah, its 20 bucks- but you're still making a cut for the cover, and you will easily post over half your sales from cigs, and the guy walking in the door gets a pack of smokes :)

and then, you can put up your sign:
WE ARE A SMOKE-FULL ESTABLISHMENT

Fredom of choice, owned by the USA once again.

communism isn't so bad after all....

Fuck smoking bans.

If the resturant/bar owner wants to allow his patrons to smoke, and he can deal with losing nonsmoking customers, it's his business.

All the bullshit non smokers shit like "Well, you can go outside and smoke", guess what? You can go somewhere else.

I go to a couple bars in Austin that quit letting people smoke and it sucks, no one goes anymore.

Back