the smoking bans and business

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Blanco@Dec 31 2004, 01:07 AM

Nope, not at all. Like I said, I'm a respectful pot smoker. That means that I don't do it around people who care and possibly offended by it. I ask, then I move if it's possible. And I'm all for banning diesel powered cars and trucks.

People have the right to smoke on the property, just not inside. Why shouldn't people have the right to breathe clean(er) air? If there weren't health issues invovled (somewhat of a contradiction, I know), I'd be more than able to tolerate the overwhelming stench, but that isn't the case. When was the last time you had to ask a non-smoker to move because their non-smoking was making you cough, naseas, light headed, or have a possible allergic or asthmatic reation? Non-smokers have to do it every day to smokers in cases where it's not as easy as going somewhere else. Again, why shouldn't people have the right to the choice they made to not smoke without having to stay inside or find the one crappy non-smoking bar in town?
[post=439307]Quoted post[/post]​

CRappy non smoking bar? Wonder why it sucks?

Anyway, if the conditions of a resturant are such that if they allow smoking and it isn't properly ventilated than ok, I can see asking smokers to go outside. My major bitch is that it is not hard to make a resturant that you can smoke in, that the non smoking section can't smell or be affected by, I have worked in them. Now in steps the gov. and tells resturants they have to conform to this new standard, but they aren't going to help them keep an equilibrium, that is bullshit. And non smokers don't want a equilibrium anyway, I have rarely seen such a bunch of nazis claiming good of the whole. They want, want, want, and bring their self righteous attitudes, which have come out in this thread, and expect that the world is going to bend around their ass's, fuck that. You want, guess what, you need to give. Talk compromise and you might stop hitting a brickwall. One place had hours, after 10PM you could smoke, guess what, it worked good.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Dec 30 2004, 04:53 PM-->
corvetteguy
@Dec 30 2004, 02:51 PM
thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard in my life, maybe even dumber then things  Bush has said......smelling liquor can't harm your body, 2nd hand smoke can...this isn't  a matter of being offensive,  its a health issue and i should have the right not to be breathing in posion that could potentially kill me prematurely because some fuckwad wants to kill himself with cigarettes/cigars......
[post=439224]Quoted post[/post]​

all this coming frmo the man who doesn't smoke but came on most of our cigarette breaks outside. lol
[post=439255]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah but i chose to go out on those breaks with smokers...

Originally posted by Sabz5150@Dec 30 2004, 06:17 PM
Ban smoking at bars?! Holy hell now you're pissing people off. You don't like the smoke at bars? Drink at home. End of discussion.
[post=439290]Quoted post[/post]​

Is everyone a moron here, Bars are for serving alcohol....Do you see a bunch of brand cigarettes behind the bar? Do you see people order a cigar on the rocks, or a pipe and coke? No!!!!!!!! Why?? because a bar is a place that legally serves alcohol liscensed by the state. If you wanna smoke go home....

IMO Open a smoking bar where there is no alcohol and just cigarettes/cigars/rolling paper, that way you can kill each other faster and not other people who don't want to be near it

Originally posted by corvetteguy@Dec 31 2004, 09:32 AM
Do you see a bunch of brand cigarettes behind the bar?

Actually, yes. I've bought a pack of smokes from many a bar before.

Do you see people order a cigar on the rocks, or a pipe and coke? No!!!!!!!! Why?? because a bar is a place that legally serves alcohol liscensed by the state. If you wanna smoke go home....

A bar is a place for socializing. Some people go to a bar and don't order any alcohol. A lot of good conversations start with the simple question "Got a light?"

IMO Open a smoking bar where there is no alcohol and just cigarettes/cigars/rolling paper, that way you can kill each other faster and not other people who don't want to be near it

Cigar shops have smoking lounges in them. You can try different stogies and fine wines there (at least the one I know about). Don't smoke cigars? You can still stay around and try the wine. We aren't gonna ban you from our shops.

We have the smoking bans here in ny state, but people still smoke in there anyway. They just say, its like underage drinking, if they can't even keep that under control, why smoking. The bartenders are even smoking, and I know they don't have the license to permit it.

Originally posted by Sabz5150+Dec 31 2004, 10:19 AM-->
corvetteguy
@Dec 31 2004, 09:32 AM

Do you see people order a cigar on the rocks, or a pipe and coke?  No!!!!!!!! Why?? because a bar is a place that legally serves alcohol liscensed by the state. If you wanna smoke go home....

A bar is a place for socializing. Some people go to a bar and don't order any alcohol. A lot of good conversations start with the simple question "Got a light?"

Cigar shops have smoking lounges in them. You can try different stogies and fine wines there (at least the one I know about). Don't smoke cigars? You can still stay around and try the wine. We aren't gonna ban you from our shops.
[post=439551]Quoted post[/post]​

Tell me what bar sells cigarettes from behind the bar, i would love to see this......

Originally posted by corvetteguy+Dec 31 2004, 11:10 AM-->
Originally posted by Sabz5150@Dec 31 2004, 10:19 AM
corvetteguy
@Dec 31 2004, 09:32 AM

Do you see people order a cigar on the rocks, or a pipe and coke? No!!!!!!!! Why?? because a bar is a place that legally serves alcohol liscensed by the state. If you wanna smoke go home....

[post=439551]Quoted post[/post]​

Tell me what bar sells cigarettes from behind the bar, i would love to see this......
[post=439558]Quoted post[/post]​

Mars, the bar I frequent most every Wednesday for starters. I can get a pack of smokes at the bar. They're in a small case next to the liquor. The Canal Club also sells cigarettes from behind the bar. I'll actually look around and ask other bars around the area if you'd like.

Originally posted by micah@Dec 31 2004, 12:10 PM
cant say that ive ever seen that, but then again i dont frequent bars so i wouldnt know :p
[post=439574]Quoted post[/post]​

Mars is also the only bar in the area that sells traditional Absinthe, has a wifi hotspot and an Atari 2600 on a big screen.

Originally posted by Blanco+Dec 31 2004, 02:35 PM-->
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Dec 31 2004, 08:05 AM
Blanco
@Dec 31 2004, 01:07 AM

Nope, not at all. Like I said, I'm a respectful pot smoker. That means that I don't do it around people who care and possibly offended by it. I ask, then I move if it's possible. And I'm all for banning diesel powered cars and trucks.

People have the right to smoke on the property, just not inside. Why shouldn't people have the right to breathe clean(er) air? If there weren't health issues invovled (somewhat of a contradiction, I know), I'd be more than able to tolerate the overwhelming stench, but that isn't the case. When was the last time you had to ask a non-smoker to move because their non-smoking was making you cough, naseas, light headed, or have a possible allergic or asthmatic reation? Non-smokers have to do it every day to smokers in cases where it's not as easy as going somewhere else. Again, why shouldn't people have the right to the choice they made to not smoke without having to stay inside or find the one crappy non-smoking bar in town?
[post=439307]Quoted post[/post]​

CRappy non smoking bar? Wonder why it sucks?

Anyway, if the conditions of a resturant are such that if they allow smoking and it isn't properly ventilated than ok, I can see asking smokers to go outside. My major bitch is that it is not hard to make a resturant that you can smoke in, that the non smoking section can't smell or be affected by, I have worked in them. Now in steps the gov. and tells resturants they have to conform to this new standard, but they aren't going to help them keep an equilibrium, that is bullshit. And non smokers don't want a equilibrium anyway, I have rarely seen such a bunch of nazis claiming good of the whole. They want, want, want, and bring their self righteous attitudes, which have come out in this thread, and expect that the world is going to bend around their ass's, fuck that. You want, guess what, you need to give. Talk compromise and you might stop hitting a brickwall. One place had hours, after 10PM you could smoke, guess what, it worked good.
[post=439535]Quoted post[/post]​

Like I keep saying, and your post details quite clearly, the biggest problem is that smokers have a basic lack of respect for those that have choosen to not smoke. Smokers seem to feel that they are the only people who have rights and the rest of us just have to deal with it or live like hermits. Now that non-smokers are officially tired of being forced into something they've decided against, smokers are being persecuted and treated unfairly. Well boo hoo, you made the choice to get addicted and now you can either deal with it or quit...just like any other addict.
[post=439620]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm siding with 92b16vx and I'm against Blanco?

BIZARRO WORLD!!!

How can you say that we feel that the only people that have rights are other smokers and everyone else has to live like a hermit when you are outright telling smokers the exact same thing? You want us to deal with it or live like a hermit. Is all you care about are non smoker's rights in this situation?

smoking is an addiction
non smoking is not
addicts forcing there addiction on non addicts is bad
non addicts forcing there non addiction on addicts is good

you want people snorting coke and shooting up heroin next to you while your eating?
prolly not.
just like i dont want you smoking ;)

Originally posted by Sabz5150@Dec 31 2004, 05:26 PM
How can you say that we feel that the only people that have rights are other smokers and everyone else has to live like a hermit when you are outright telling smokers the exact same thing? You want us to deal with it or live like a hermit. Is all you care about are non smoker's rights in this situation?
[post=439692]Quoted post[/post]​

The only right that smokers have in this situation is the right to kill themselves smoking. They don't have the right to kill the rest of us who choose not to smoke.

Originally posted by micah@Jan 1 2005, 01:53 AM
smoking is an addiction
non smoking is not
addicts forcing there addiction on non addicts is bad
non addicts forcing there non addiction on addicts is good

you want people snorting coke and shooting up heroin next to you while your eating?
prolly not.
just like i dont want you smoking ;)
[post=439706]Quoted post[/post]​

No one is forcing an addiction on you, if I was, I would be forcing you to take up smoking. And fixing up at a table in a resturant is just a hair different than smoking.

Corvetteguy and Blanco, you are exemplifing the attitude that gives smokers the push to say "Well fuck you then". You see, why would anyone want to work something out with someone that has that attitude? They don't.

The thing that pisses me off about smokers is when working with them.

It's weird how if you take up smoking you can get breaks every hour or two.

IT sucks for employers because if we don't allow smokers to go smoke then they get all pissy and are total dicks to work with becuase they can't get their fix.

I wish I had the option to get up and walk out no matter how busy we are to take a 5 min break sitting on my ass or standing outside.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Jan 2 2005, 12:55 PM

IT sucks for employers because if we don't allow smokers to go smoke then they get all pissy and are total dicks to work with becuase they can't get their fix.

I wish I had the option to get up and walk out no matter how busy we are to take a 5 min break sitting on my ass or standing outside.
[post=440100]Quoted post[/post]​

In one of my IT jobs, everyone in my group smoked, including our supervisor. We'd use that 5 minutes to just step away from the situation and do a sort of collaboration. It was a great way to pass around ideas and let each other know where we were standing.

Besides, non smokers usually crowd the water cooler or copy room for long periods. Don't tell me you guys don't use those breaks.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Jan 2 2005, 12:55 PM

[post=440100]Quoted post[/post]​

my last job, at olive garden. you did not get any breaks during your shift.

but every once in a while they would open the back door and all the smokers would go outside for up to 15 minutes and smoke. if my manager went outside and saw someone not smoking he would ride your ass. i thought it was complete bullshit that only smokers got breaks.
and it sucked for everyone that wasnt a smoker because you had to pick up slack for 15 minutes, and if you didnt then everything would get piled up and the whole place would get way behind.

15 min for a smoke break is just stupid.

when im at work and go out for a smoke, i'm usually back in time as if someone went to take a piss.
3 min ish.

for those of you who piss 4 times a day, while i piss once or twice, we even out.

I can relate to workers taking excessive smoke breaks. A waitress we recently let go took smoke breaks that would start with a cigarette but would eventually include 2 cigarettes, and a conversation on her cell phone. Would take her like ten minutes. The new waitress still takes smoke breaks, but is respectful enough of the rest of us to suck it down as fast as she can so we dont all fall too far behind. Cigarette breaks are given to people so they can have an outlet do deal with their weakness (addiction), sort of like methodone maintainance, it isnt supposed to be an extra regular break.

i'm @ a split on this one folks...

first off me = non smoker. smoking is a disgusting habit. period

I don't wanna breathe the shit. but I know if I go somewhere where its allowed, I have to deal with it.

comparing it to illegal drugs is irrelevant in this case, smoking IS legal.

this is argument is like gay marriage or abortion, there will always be two sides to it and the two sides will always fight and try to prove their point.

if you are going out and you don't like the smoking going on in a particular place, leave and go somewhere. you have that freedom. with that freedom goes the right for business owners to decide what the fuck goes on in their restuarant as long as it is within the law.

when I become president and outlaw smoking, then we came have this argument again. kthanksbye :wave:

Back