the supercharge build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mintoxik

Well the sc build it's here. The old motor coming out d15 new one is going to go in a sc y8. Yesterday was the start of the tear down it went well 50/50 stuff came off but the motor is stuck on something and I can't find what. It got late so I just called it a day. The plan is to get it ready for paint and have the new motor ready about the same time so I don't have to look at a different color engine bay (we all hate that don't we haha)I'll post some pics as soon as i find my cord for my phone. It's a couple pre pics and one where they bay is a huge mess but it will clean up nice later on. I'm not 100% sure on what I'm all going to put on or in this motor yet but we will find out together should be a good time.

that was fast haha here some pics and the chaos that is with it. it is really going to be ripped apart to almost shell status

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 257
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 278
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 222
well the car was stolen before when i lived in AZ so that is a custom mexican paint job right there haha. I was thinking a nice semi glossy black. but I'm not up today on the coolest colors though either haha.

So i was doing some reading and the pully situation. I have read both ways big pull on SC and small pull on SC. the big pull would allow me to create more pressure but at the same time i would lose power because the motor has to work harder to spin the SC. But a small pull would make more power spinning faster but i wouldn't be able to ride the motor to hard for very long because that SC would be spinning at a stupid speed. any thoughts on this?

update almost ready for paint but its been kinda rainy here and so on. The new motor should be here this week sometime. Have to get new pistons for it I was thinking vitara because they should be good for my power abilities. Also been reading that it drops my comp. So I was kind of wondering if what kind of rods I could use to bring my comp up. Or am I all ass backwards about it

superchargers are not as efficient on little 4 cylinders as a turbo could be, its true... but i still wouldnt be worried too much about parasitic loss from it. kind of a mute point because it still makes more power than without the blower.

With the jackson racing you will just want to run as much psi as you can without running into a lot of heat in the intake. on a jrsc 7-8 psi is perfect, makes the most power without excessive heat. if you have the extra $1k to spend on a aftercooler then you can go to 10-11lbs.

what are you expecting to do with the car, over-all top speed for drag racing, or mad acceleration for scooping curves?

Well I have no track where I live nor do I have any fun curvy roads. I live in the plains of south dakota. I know with a SC I'm not going to get tons of power like I would with a turbo. I got a good deal on the motor SC together so I picked it up just want it to be a pretty mean street car.

It will be super fun, but you will soon wish for more power:ph34r: Can't beat the addicting, top end rush of a nicely sized turbo.

I agree but I have some child support issues and a HIGHLY additive car thing I need to keep up with. That is why I'm building a D with a SC because of the reason I've said before good deal, in my budget atm, and it should be pretty reliable as far as a FI car goes. Why do I have the feeling I'm running in circles with this? Can no one answer my questions? I've done alot of reading and am super overwhelmed with information. Would just like some help, tips, and some ideas from my friends at hondaswap.

Well I have no track where I live nor do I have any fun curvy roads. I live in the plains of south dakota. I know with a SC I'm not going to get tons of power like I would with a turbo. I got a good deal on the motor SC together so I picked it up just want it to be a pretty mean street car.
With the conventional positive displacement blower, the car will be driveable - should have a real nice, even power band with good low end and throttle response.

Last edited:
Well an update I'm working on the old hatch now useing that aircraft stuff. Works pretty good just slow going paint guy should be here in a few hours hopefully or I'm going to be in one hell of a mess! Ill take a pic or two throught the day.

First post sent from my crackberry yay! Haha

I agree but I have some child support issues and a HIGHLY additive car thing I need to keep up with. That is why I'm building a D with a SC because of the reason I've said before good deal, in my budget atm, and it should be pretty reliable as far as a FI car goes. Why do I have the feeling I'm running in circles with this? Can no one answer my questions? I've done alot of reading and am super overwhelmed with information. Would just like some help, tips, and some ideas from my friends at hondaswap.
What questions do you have? Please re-state them?

Well more or less any information on a SC build I know the JRSC is good on stock internals but why not beef them up a little. What kinda parts do people use? I've looked and looked there is a little info out there. If you have a site or some reference material that would be great. I've taking bits and pieces from the mr2 because they come SC.

**update**
Motor is here being tore apart car has been moved to my body/paint guy.
new suspension is going on maybe this weekend. Think I have to work though.
Also new information on pistons I emailed a company that sells them. They swear they know civics like no other. So here is that eamil

The long and short of it is the lower compression pistons will allow you to run higher boost levels. If your looking to make as much power as possible, then the lower compression pistons will allow you to cram more air in from the supercharger without getting detonation. High compression pistons will mean you can only run a little bit of boost before running into detonation issues, so you won't be able to efficiently utilize the supercharger. If your using a positive displacement supercharger then the lower compression will also be more tolerant of the heat produced by the blower. If your going with a centrifugal setup then you can get a bit more low end power with higher compression pistons, but you'll have to limit boost at the top end, which will hurt midrange power as well. When your going to a supercharged setup that will be part of a full engine build, it's best to let the supercharger do as much work as possible as it is more efficient to make power that way.

**update**
Motor is here being tore apart car has been moved to my body/paint guy.
new suspension is going on maybe this weekend. Think I have to work though.
Also new information on pistons I emailed a company that sells them. They swear they know civics like no other. So here is that eamil

The long and short of it is the lower compression pistons will allow you to run higher boost levels. If your looking to make as much power as possible, then the lower compression pistons will allow you to cram more air in from the supercharger without getting detonation. High compression pistons will mean you can only run a little bit of boost before running into detonation issues, so you won't be able to efficiently utilize the supercharger. If your using a positive displacement supercharger then the lower compression will also be more tolerant of the heat produced by the blower. If your going with a centrifugal setup then you can get a bit more low end power with higher compression pistons, but you'll have to limit boost at the top end, which will hurt midrange power as well. When your going to a supercharged setup that will be part of a full engine build, it's best to let the supercharger do as much work as possible as it is more efficient to make power that way.
Or.... Run E85 and enjoy high boost + high compression. WIN ;)

Back