the supercharge build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Or.... Run E85 and enjoy high boost + high compression. WIN ;)
Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't change anything. E85 has it's limits too. Yes, it will run better with higher static compression ratio's with any given setup than non-ethanol enhanced fuel.

But, within the constraints of E85, the same principle applies with regard to manifold boost pressure and static compression ratio. Lower static compression ratio's will support higher manifold boost pressure without detonation.

Did I miss something? (It's happened before) I'm with you on running E85 on a blown engine for the street for sure. :thumbsup:

Did I miss something? (It's happened before) I'm with you on running E85 on a blown engine for the street for sure. :thumbsup:

Well it is for street use more or less. Being there isn't a track for about 200 miles and I think that is a long way for a couple of runs IMO.

How does that work?
E85 has a knock index of 105 octane, although it behaves more like 112 octane fuel. And is cheaper by the gallon than 87 octane.

Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't change anything. E85 has it's limits too. Yes, it will run better with higher static compression ratio's with any given setup than non-ethanol enhanced fuel.

But, within the constraints of E85, the same principle applies with regard to manifold boost pressure and static compression ratio. Lower static compression ratio's will support higher manifold boost pressure without detonation.

Yes of course E85 has its limits too. Typically above 700hp you start to run into issues with variances of different batches of E85 having different knock ratings. In the Evo world people are building 10:1 CR motors and running 30 psi of boost on stock framed (not stock turbos though) turbos.

The principle does apply with static vs. manifold pressure, E85 just allows you to have more.

Turbos and especially superchargers have limited efficiency ranges where you need to make up for that is in static compression.

E85 not only has the benefit of a higher octane rating but the alcohol acts as a cooling agent in the cylinder to drop tems even more so than typical petroleum would.

I would say a stock CR or even higher CR D16 motor with a supercharger at 15psi or so would be just fine on E85.

Last edited:
^ Thank you sir.

So, my DOHC ZC which is now at 10:1 static should work well at 10.5:1 static? Running stock cams and is normally aspirated with a 61mm TB.

O jeez haha so running 10 to 1 on e85 won't cause issues with det.?
Depends upon how much boost. What are you going to use for the ECU? I'm guessing you are going to have it tuned so it's correctly setup for the blower.

Last edited:
^ Thank you sir.

So, my DOHC ZC which is now at 10:1 static should work well at 10.5:1 static? Running stock cams and is normally aspirated with a 61mm TB.

You can run 91oct at that cr with no boost. I'm running nearly 13:1 N/A on my B18C and have a lot of timing advance.

I'm getting an ecu with the motor but I was thinking of just getting the p28 to make things easier if I could run 15 lbs of boost that would be great but that would cause belt slipping problem correct?

the roots type blower that the jrsc kits use will not support more than about 8lbs without just making a lot of heat. trust me i know from experience. it made the same power on the dyon on both 7 psi and 10 psi, but with 10lbs the IATs were through the roof and we never could get a nice dyno tune on it. there is a very limited efficient range on this type of blower.

if you use some sort of aftercooler, like the LHT, then you can go to 10-12lbs range on the jrsc. the only thing that sucks is that the LHT charge cooler is like $1000 just by itself.

:ditto: The blower on the d series kits is a small M45 eaton supercharger vs. the M62 on the vtec b series kits. I'd say that it would be good for around 200whp with a good tune, nice flowing header/exhaust, and 8psi. Want to make more and you're spending $$$ and might as well go turbo.

Yes more power turbo I know. Once again I got a good deal on it. A turbo is not in my budget ATM. This build is for a street car. It will never see a track or strip ever.

What we keep trying to say, politely, is if you sell or actually keep the supercharger on a shelf, it will cost you the same amount it will take you to get that super charger running properly then to buy a DIY turbo kit and install it. If this comment fails I'm sure the next guy can say it blunter. Especially if you're on a budget, it's not the right way to go for 200hp in a 1.6 gutless torque less road car.

I see well I already have it might as well use it I can upragde later if the option is here I will.

What you are doing now, like has been advised, set it up for 7-8lbs of boost. Be sure the clutch set (pressure plate) will handle ~250hp.

If you end up with 175-200 whp in that little car, it will haul ass and may stay together a while if you don't beat on it too hard.

You will probably want to put a higher flow fuel pump in it just because. New motor and higher demand on old pump - I don't know how far the stock pump can go in terms of HP - some of the other guys can help you there. I'd replace it anyway with a fresh engine build.

Last edited:
I'm sure its in my other thread, but my plan is to tear down the car to nothing and go up from there replace what needs to. The car is almost ready for paint ( some compressor issues). Going to build the bottom end. Beef up the head a little. It's going to be a fun like SOHC. As soon as I get a F-ing weekend off I can put my new suspension on. Have a few other pieces to get but I can start.

Back