The time has come..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Typically when I sold cars, I've had 3 in my name, I had literally 30 days to transfer the title into my name at the point of sale. Otherwise, the paperwork was defunct. That is washington though so it's probably different. Also bill of sale was always needed, and I only got called on my price once, and I had a mechanic "estimate" for why it was so cheap.

At that, it was washington, so this information means nothing.

oh.. i thought you meant itd take 30 days to get the title in my name.
lol
im glad i left washington.

im not sure but i think you atleast need a bill of sale...if you do not have the paperwork you have to go to the dmv in which state it was last registered,,
we just bought a R.I truck and live in CT and they made us go to R.I dmv for paperwork,,just to register in
CT

yes you do...typically your insurance card with your name on it..if the insurance card isnt in the persons name registering the vehicle dmv will not process you

So you have cars registered and insured under your name but you have no driver's license? How does that work?

NY DMV are real douchebags
I typically go there on average once a month, because I work close to DMV.

To put a car on the road you need.
Signed and dated title.
Valid ID
Signed Bill of sale
Registration form filled out
Sale or Transfer of Vehicle form filled out
Insurance card with your Last, First, Middle Initial and todays date or prior.

Yes, I have been denied for now having the middle initial.

I would prob say a little over a hundred bucks.
Assuming your sales tax rate is 8% you're only looking at 8 bucks per 100, and you really really really don't want them questioning your bill of sale. If you put $1000 you're only looking at 80 bucks in sales tax.

In NY it typically costs 50 for a 2 year registration and $50 to transfer the title, plus your sales tax.
And you will probably not receive the new title in the mail for 30 days cause DMV is slow as fuck.

NY DMV are real douchebags
I typically go there on average once a month, because I work close to DMV.

To put a car on the road you need.
Signed and dated title.
Valid ID
Signed Bill of sale
Registration form filled out
Sale or Transfer of Vehicle form filled out
Insurance card with your Last, First, Middle Initial and todays date or prior.

Yes, I have been denied for now having the middle initial.

I would prob say a little over a hundred bucks.
Assuming your sales tax rate is 8% you're only looking at 8 bucks per 100, and you really really really don't want them questioning your bill of sale. If you put $1000 you're only looking at 80 bucks in sales tax.

In NY it typically costs 50 for a 2 year registration and $50 to transfer the title, plus your sales tax.
And you will probably not receive the new title in the mail for 30 days cause DMV is slow as fuck.

and how much will the penalty charges be for not registering it within 10 days of buying it? cuz i bought it like 7 months ago.

I know of no such penalty "charges".
Never heard of such a thing.

If the title isn't dated you're fine.
If the title is dated just tell them the car was in need of repair, as noted by the as-is on the bill of sale.
7 months should not be a problem, I've gone way longer than 7 months before putting a card on the road.
All depends on your state though.

why don;t you just go to CA DMV online
all the info is there

it doesnt say anything about needing a bill of sale when buying an out of state vehicle..
Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State—Be Sure You Can Register It in California (FFVR 29)

NOTE: Transfer fees are due within 10 days of the “sale.” Penalties are assessed if payment is not received by DMV within 30 days of the “sale.” If multiple sales occur before DMV is notified, a separate transfer fee is collected for each sale when the application for transfer is received by DMV.

How to Change Vehicle Ownership

some of this shit is just confusing.

i put my address up in washington on the title when i signed it, will that be a problem?
and should i actually write out the bill of sale or should i fill out the bill of sale that i got from the dmv?

California DMV HTVR9 - How To Register A Nonresident Vehicle
there it says i need a bill of sale if i bought the car from the person the cars title is registered in, but the guy i bought it from wasnt the one on the title.. does that mean i dont need one?

and i have to have it smogged before i can register it?
i thought i would get a temporary registration or some shit, like those red pieces of paper with a big number on it to put in my window so i can drive it to get smogged?

i would do both
write it out and fill out the form

i would def fill out the bill of sales with the original titles holders name and signature

ok.
that shouldnt be a problem.
ive been signing my moms name on detention slips and citations and shit since 4th grade.

you dont think theyll look to closely?
is the note supposed to look like my hand writing or should i have my girlfriend write it or should i type it?

Back