the tool thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FFCiv

I have alot of questions about tools because soon I will be getting my first car and working on it.

1. What tools do I need to start off and be able to do most jobs including a new exhaust, head gasket, and FMIC?
2. What companies are known for making the best types of a certain kind of tool
3. WHat are the best places to buy?
4. How much should I expect to spend at first?

thatnks for your help

1. how can you NOT know the answer to this question? Were you born with penis between your legs? if so, then tool knowledge should be in your genes...

2. i like craftsman.
3. i like sears or home depot.
4. 500.00 for a o.k. set.....1500.00 for the works, including air compressor/gun, dremel, 18v. Dewalt, various ratchets, wrenches, hammer, screwdrivers, various sockets, stripped nut socket remover, i could go on and on and on ....

p.s. if you live in so. cali. hit me up, there is nothing i like doing better on a saturday morning then going to sears or home depot (when i got the cash) and spending hours in the tool department comparing and buying shit.

i feel like a kid in a candy store....

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Oct 22 2003, 05:59 PM
2. i like craftsman.
3. i like sears or home depot.

craftsman all the way

MAC are okay, ans Snap-Apart just sucks. I've broken more snap on tools then I can count. And you gotta love the Sears christmas specials on tools!

Tools are not cheap but they will last you forever. If you have a lot of money and are planning on going into some field that you will use these tools daily i would reccomend snap-on, matco, and mac. If your broke and are just using these tools for little jobs around the house id go with craftsman.
Tools you will need in no particualr order.
Metric socket set both 1/4 and 3/8 drive up to 19mm (matcos' are nice)
Screw drivers
Ratchets 1/4 and 3/8 (snap on is the best)
Prybars
3/8 impact (ingersol rand aka matco)
1/4 air ratchet
Cut off wheel.
Air hammer (snap on)
Pliers
vice grips
3/8 air drill (snap on)
wrenches (snap on or matco)
prices will very greatly. my snap on air hammer was like $300, matco 1/4 socket set like 100 5mm-14mm

BTW i'll b 16 in dec and the my dad isn't a car guy but my uncle in LI, NY is but he only does muscle cars. (just trying to explain why I don't know much about tools)

saws all
18 or at least 14 voit drill
a metric set of sockets and wrenches, its all ways good to have extra 14,12 and 10mm scokets ( i lose those fuckers all the time.)
philips screw drivers all sizes
a torque wrench or two
good jack stands
stripped nut socket remover
vise grips you can never have enough
I know nothing of air tools but will be looking in to em some day

multiple feeler gauges they are like 6 bucks at Advanced Auto... and ignition gauges to adjust gap on spark plugs... ring compressor, ring groove cleaner plastic/rubber hammer again the list goes on

Buy and learn how to use a tig welder....then your set.

you'll have your car set up, and then if your welds are good, others will want you to work on their cars.

If your really good after that...there is a big career feild in Aircraft welding. First get an internship at a rebuild facility, then get FAA approved, then open your own shop..........that's if you want your tools to pay themselves off.

I'm 18 and I got a good set of 60 piece ratchet set, black and pecker drill that won't hold a charge but it helped install fog lights before, and it makes some shit faster than by hand. I bought like over 70 pieces of screw drivers bits, wood bits, I probly could hit up some steel if my black and decker was powerful enough. I have only a few wrenches. In about 5 weeks my mom gets married so, I'll be getting more tools.

But one thing for sure have the tools for the job before it gets dark, and before you start the project. Because flashlights, and cold sucks. Also invite many friends, and they'll be glad to help you.

I don't know if anybody mentioned this one, but you might need a toolbox to keep those tools in order, don't want to overlook that.

to fix things the only tools you need are wd-40 and duct tape.

If it doesn't move and it should, use wd-40

if it does move and it shouldn't, use duct tape :thumbsup:

J/K
craftsman owns lifetime warranty>me :D

Originally posted by h82w8@Oct 24 2003, 03:21 PM
to fix things the only tools you need are wd-40 and duct tape.

If it doesn't move and it should, use wd-40

if it does move and it shouldn't, use duct tape :thumbsup:

J/K
craftsman owns lifetime warranty>me :D

:spin: Don't forget tooth picks for stability and rubberbands for flexability.

Originally posted by Airjockie@Oct 22 2003, 06:42 PM
Buy and learn how to use a tig welder....then your set.

you'll have your car set up, and then if your welds are good, others will want you to work on their cars.

If your really good after that...there is a big career feild in Aircraft welding. First get an internship at a rebuild facility, then get FAA approved, then open your own shop..........that's if you want your tools to pay themselves off.

:werd: if you can weld good, people will pay you well to do it for them

and you might want to invest in a floor jack. Also, craftsman, mastercraft, snap-on, mac hand tools all carry lifetime warrenties. Just pick one that is easiest to return if/when you break :D

well all those tools are great, but just to get you started this is what i'd do:

1. get a good socket set from craftsmen with 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drives, metric and standard
2. get a screwdriver and plier set. you might even find a socket set with these included.
3. multiple size cheater bars :D

that will get you started. you can prolly get all that stuff for around 150-200 bucks. as far as drills/cutting wheels/compressor/welding machines go, the only time i've ever taken a drill/welded on my car was to replace the radiator support. you probably won't be getting that in depth seeing as how you didnt even know what tools to get in the first place.

Jack stands and a floor jack have already been mentioned, but are worth repeating.

Don't forget an oil filter tool. :)

Also get good quality jack stands and floor jack. Is it worth your life if a cheap one gives out. I had a jackstand collapse on me before, thank god the car went away from me.

insted of an oil filter wrench you can get a craftsman strap wrench cuz they work on oil filters and much much more. :)

Back