the tool thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by CRX_B16B@Oct 24 2003, 03:40 PM
insted of an oil filter wrench you can get a craftsman strap wrench cuz they work on oil filters and much much more. :)

Good point Mr Bob Vila... :D

A friend of mine has a strap wrench and it is pretty useful.

OK this is what you do, go garage selling, I mean go everywhere, look for all the rusted craftsman tools you can find, buy them cheap. This is why u gotta love craftsman, lifetime warrenty, send them in or take them to sears, get replaced, then u will at least already have some of the basics....

s3f99caf69eb21.jpg

Sorry to double post, but I got this at sears for like 30 bucks on christmas special, combine that with a deep socket set with metric and standard, and u are pretty much set for any project that you are able to do yourself.

Hey, dont wanna threadjack or anything, but i jsut bought a AC Delco jack set from WalMart. It came with jack, jackstands, and the wheelstoppers. Just wondering if anyone has this also or knows how good of quality these are. the jack is kinda small, but works good. and the stands look good and strong.

Well, the question has already been answered. Plan on spending a grand or so including the box to put 'em in.

Be forewarned, though... tools are like crack- you can't stop buying them.

As for brands, as long as it has a lifetime warranty, you're set. Mac, Matco, Craftsman, Snap-on... All quality tools. However, if you don't work in a dealership and don't get to see the tool guy once a week, go with Craftsman for convience because when you break a tool, you can return it to ANY Sears nationwide. If you break a tool from the other guys, you have to wait a week to get it replaced.

I've been doing this shit for about eight years and still keep buying tools.

my school has snap on and craftsman tools only so I think im gonna see if i can get a good deal from them

Originally posted by IDMaxGuy@Oct 24 2003, 07:54 PM
OK this is what you do, go garage selling, I mean go everywhere, look for all the rusted craftsman tools you can find, buy them cheap. This is why u gotta love craftsman, lifetime warrenty, send them in or take them to sears, get replaced, then u will at least already have some of the basics....

is this true??....can you bring any craftsmans sockets and trade them for other sockets or tools???.....cause i have a alot of standards that i do not use and would like to exchange them for some other things......thank you and have a nice day!!!

hell i know a guy who used to live in kenosha, wi where snap on is made and he went dumpster diving getting all the defective tools traded em in and got new ones. the sockets/ ratchets have to have something wrong with them to trade them in so try torquing on some burly ass nuts with your 1/4 drive ratchet of you want a new one.

I have snap on tools... I like them, they are old for the most part, my dads old set. I kept breaking my socket wrench, and the snap on truck guy kept fixing the gears, and finally gave up on fixing the gear and hooked me up with a new wrench... so :thumbsup: to snap on..

Originally posted by xyswany@Oct 24 2003, 10:36 PM
hell i know a guy who used to live in kenosha, wi where snap on is made and he went dumpster diving getting all the defective tools traded em in and got new ones. the sockets/ ratchets have to have something wrong with them to trade them in so try torquing on some burly ass nuts with your 1/4 drive ratchet of you want a new one.

so lets say i broke all these sockets and when i go to trade them in do i have to get the same ones or can i get different sockets??....

ive never delt with craftsmen if thats what you talking about but im guessing as long as the sockets are the same price they'll give you it.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Oct 24 2003, 10:39 PM
I have snap on tools... I like them, they are old for the most part, my dads old set. I kept breaking my socket wrench, and the snap on truck guy kept fixing the gears, and finally gave up on fixing the gear and hooked me up with a new wrench... so :thumbsup: to snap on..

you have the blue point ones? those are pretty nice but the head is kinda big on the box end,

Back