The Truth About A/F Ratio Gauges

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PBE9699

Ok I've been hearing a lot of things these days about A/F Ratio Gauges. People have been telling me don't buy an AutoMeter gauge because its all fancy display and flashing lights and they lie anyway. They say at wide open throttle instead of reading the actual input from the sensors it simply displays the data from the fuel map in the ECU; something about a closed loop circuit being responsible. They also say the most accurate A/F Ratio Gauge that uses stock sensors is the GReddy... is this true?
To all the Electronics Gurus out there please help me. I'm going to buy one of these babies and I need to know which is the best to buy. Thanks for all Feedback

if your looking for dead nuts real most accurate data from an A/F gage then the only one you should be looking into is a wideband O2 sensor.

if you're looking to get kinda an idea , a half ass estimate than go the cheap route and spend $35 on the Autometer gage, at best it will give you a very rough estimate that if under hard throttle if your rich or lean.

Hmmm I heard that The Wideband O2 sensors are HELLA expensive and the sensor doesn't last very long as its usually used for dyno tuning and not meant to keep on your car all the time... how true is this? Well anyway I also heard that a better way to ascertain your A/F ratio is buy using an EGT gauge... how true is this? And if so how does it work? I'm guessing the Hotter your EGT's the richer the ratio is?

If I do Decide to buy and EGT gauge, which manufacturer should I go with? AutoMeter, GReddy, HKS... ? All opinions welcome

get a VX wideband

there was a guy on H-T who made kits a while back
i dont know if he still does.. do a search there for "VX wideband"

1- Aftermarket A/F ratios are limited in that they only read what the ECU is reading up until the ECU goes in to closed loop where the A/F gauge then reads max. Since stock 02 sensors are not good for tuning compared with wideband 02 sensors.

2- EGT's are great if you know HOW to read what you're looking at.

3- Wideband 02's such as Tech-Edge and FJO are somewhat costly and true, they should not be run at all times.

If you're looking for a cute light that goes blink blink, buy a autometer or whatever....

If you're looking for a great TUNING tool that will be used from time to time, invest in a good wideband 02 sensor and display kit.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Oct 8 2003, 02:51 AM
EGTs heat up when are you running lean, not rich, by the way.

isn't it possible that running rich can heat up exhaust? if you have unburnt gas left in the combustion chamber, wouldn't it then get ignited or partially ignited on the way out the exhaust. therefore uping the temp?

Originally posted by kell211+Oct 7 2003, 10:41 PM-->
liquid00meth
@Oct 8 2003, 02:51 AM
EGTs heat up when are you running lean, not rich, by the way.

isn't it possible that running rich can heat up exhaust? if you have unburnt gas left in the combustion chamber, wouldn't it then get ignited or partially ignited on the way out the exhaust. therefore uping the temp?

Negative ghost rider.....

Lean = Hotter

Rich = Cooler

Thanks for all the Info guys, i think i'm going with the cheaper yet more accurate route, The EGT gauge... which would you fellahs recommend? i hear the GReddy is pretty good. And can anyone give a crash course in interpreting the EGT gauge?

Back