The ultimate HONDASWAP...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
Well, since I am always around planes and helicopters, I worked on a lot of engines. But my old CRX engine is still running strong, even after I have abused it over the last year, and the thing won't die. Well, in the concern's that Honda makes a damn good engine, I am finally pleased to see that they have been building a few product's for General Aviation. There is no release date, but if this engine is anything like the other engines they make, I am sure it will be a great engine. No to try to figuear out how to mount one in the rex....hehe.....yummi...direct drive.....

AvWeb News

honda-engine.jpg

Red valve cover and all...I think I just messed my shorts.

Can you say "Propeller Type R"? :lol:

Flying is by far way safer then driving IMO.

:thumbsup: On the Honda plane motor.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Jul 30 2003, 06:34 PM
Flying is by far way safer then driving IMO.

:thumbsup: On the Honda plane motor.

I supose.. but then again im scared of planes..
Im sticking to the ground.. my feet aint leavin the ground unless its to jump on B. :lol:

Sorry B i couldnt resist.

Originally posted by Sweet InStinct@Jul 30 2003, 06:39 PM
Im sticking to the ground.. my feet aint leavin the ground unless its to jump on B. :lol:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That engine's pretty sweet. I'd love to see one taken apart to see what they're doing different for the aviation market. I almost thought that article was a joke because of the title...

Homebuilders have been using honda engines in experamental airplanes for a few years now. They call them the CAM series honda engines from civic. Usually the use 100 hp civic engines with a few performance parts. Personally i think they are underestemating the power that can be extracted from our little four bangers.

s3f2876becc177.jpg
s3f2876ad78a51.jpg

The Europa is probobly the best looking airplane on the market with the honda engine kit option... Except for the replica spitfire.

s3f28770c3d0a7.jpg

The bottom one is not a turbocharged honda engine, even though it should be. Its a turbocharged Rotax 914 from Bombardier aerospace division making only 115hp. Although it is alot lighter then the honda engines, im sure the extra power you could get out of the honda would more then make up for the added weight :D .

edit: The difference between the honda auto engines and GA engines, will be that the aircraft engines will need more torque. You cant spin a propeller at 6000 rpm or else the propeller blade tips will break the sound barrier and thats bad for everyone. The big block you see in front of the engines in the top photo is a reduction drive unit. They do a great job of lowering the propeller rpm, but they are also pretty heavy units. The new GA honda engine will probobly resemble a Continental or Lycoming engine. 4 cyl horizontally opposed, long stroke, lower compression and bullet proof internals. The shortfall of the obove mentioned engine manufacturers is that they havnt changed the engine design very much in years. Still two valves per cylinder and most engines are still carburated and fired by magnitos enstead of the infinately more reliable electronic ignition.

Originally posted by Sweet InStinct@Jul 30 2003, 07:39 PM
my feet aint leavin the ground unless its to jump on B. :lol:

Sorry B i couldnt resist.

:lol:

just don't land too hard :p

747 TypeR is coming next. watch out boeing

i sense another domestic jet engine vs. import propeller engine argument coming on................. :lmao:

VTEC y0!

Back