The Z will live....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
http://www.recordedmemory.com/limerock/images/P7200271.jpg

That's the pic of the Z getting a piggyback ride to the house....

Story: Lime ROck Drift event...I was reving the crap out of the Z, smoking like a mofo that just found a free blunt...OK...I give up on trying the slang crap...

Anyways...I installed the ACT clutch last year so I could get down to the drift event in MD at ripken stadium...and I've also had the Z at many autocrosses, and other drift events....literally...I'm beating the shit out of the car....and it breaks..and I just build it better the next time around...well...at the Limerock event...after my second run...which was finally getting dry, and I was finally figueing out the LSD and the power and 4.11 ring and pinion...it was parked..and then when the next run was up...when I started the Z....clunk..clunk...clunk...clunk....and I quikly shut it down and decided to just get it towed home...and A HUGE THANKS TO JAMIE...who got me the AAA tow...You and Damian are getting a few beers from me the next time your up in the area.

Well..the Z sat for a week or so...and I finally jacked it up, put it on blocks..and I'm going thru the paces trying to find out what the noise is...Worst case...the timing chain tensioner gave way, and the chain slipped a tooth and pistons were kissing valves...but the clunk was to heavy sounding...next I thought it was a conrod or something busted on the crank...oh well...won't find out till it's all apart. Popped the valve cover off...everything looks good, pulled the plugs...couldn't get any of the pistons to move when appleing pressure on the down strock of the crank....so that means that the engine is good...

Next was the drivetrain...Driveshaft was still tight..diff looks good, no leaking...but the noise was from the engine...So I popped the tranny off...and there was the ACT Clutch...looks a little dirty...so I wiped it down a little...and it moved...Shit. crap...it rocked back and forth about a mm each way...so I removed the pressure plate...and the disk...which still looks new after a year of abuse...and there was the problem. The damn flywheel bolts loosened up on me. When I installed the flaywheel...they were torqued to spec...and forgotten...

So know I'm just going to slap it back together and get the Z back on the road...of course I should wait and see if Nissan stealership has some new bolts, and they will be loctited in there this time...crank looks good, and everything else looks normal...I'm wondering if I should wait to put it together and get a 6 puck ACT disk.....hehe...but the $20 Autozone disk is doing just fine....for now.

Moral of the story...
If your car is making a sound you have never heard before...shut it down and tear it apart. If I would have tryed driving it home like that...the flywheel might have shelled out and departed the engine/transmision area. :shocked:

Wow.. Holy shit. Neil was right.

We gotta talk to him and ask what him think that. I mean, it didn't behave any differently with the clutch going in or out - And it went away at higher RPM.

-> Steve

or, it could be totally un-realated.... and the flywheel is just loose, and once tightened, it still makes the noise... heh

but, let's hope thats it.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 29 2005, 08:21 AM
or, it could be totally un-realated.... and the flywheel is just loose, and once tightened, it still makes the noise... heh

but, let's hope thats it.
[post=546686]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope...the flywheel was loose...car runs fine now...If I had the money, and the time off from work...I'd even plan a trip down to NJ wed night...but since I'm still broke, and I used up all my days off to go to Japan...I'm screwed...

Ohh well...now to get a few more things done to the garage...and get it ready for a real for real, JDM BBQ for Sat night...a BBQ for the crazy JDM despirate housewives and the husbands.....I'm going to get so fucked up... :ph34r:

Back