Thermostat Broken?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

So a while back, my temp gauge was going nuts (i'm not driving the car right now). For a while it would read really cold and then suddenly it would read "dangerously hot." Then it would return to normal opperation temperature. It was really cold outside when this was going on, so I think I busted my thermostat. So....should I avoid driving my car? I know I will need to replace the thermostat, but is there any danger of it damaging the water pump or any other parts of my engine?

If you don't konw (and are too dumb to read my sig) I drive a 90 CRX HF with a JDM B16 sawp.

w00t easy fix! Now for the rear suspension bushings.... <_<

Oh yeah, what model should I get from? 94 Del Sol DOHC VTEC? or 90 Teg?

i dunno dude, that sounds like a classic head gasket leak, or bubbles in the cooling system, but if the car had no work on it, then the only way air is gonna get into that head is from your head gasket puttin combustion chamber gasses.

thermostats dont NORMALLY flucuate likethat, they either stay stuck open or stuck closed. in which case with it closed, your engine will just overheat and if its stuck open your guage wont rise at all!

Originally posted by DelSlo@Feb 19 2005, 04:07 PM
i dunno dude, that sounds like a classic head gasket leak, or bubbles in the cooling system, but if the car had no work on it, then the only way air is gonna get into that head is from your head gasket puttin combustion chamber gasses.

thermostats dont NORMALLY flucuate likethat, they either stay stuck open or stuck closed. in which case with it closed, your engine will just overheat and if its stuck open your guage wont rise at all!
[post=463180]Quoted post[/post]​

not true, every time i have had to replace a thermo, it has started to stick on me. as in it will stick shut then finally open, or vice versa, so it dosent just stay open or shut when its bad.

Well, I'll look for any crazy shit when I drain the coolent, but I highly doubt that there is a blown head gasket. If I blew my HG, then I would have white smoke pooring out my tail pipe...which is not the case.

either way spend the little extra doe and get a fail safe one. Bleed the system when your done installing.

I think I'm going to go start the hatch up and let it run for 20 mins and see if mine is working. I haven't tested the cooling system yet. :)

Originally posted by senate_9427+Feb 19 2005, 04:16 PM-->
@Feb 19 2005, 04:07 PM
i dunno dude, that sounds like a classic head gasket leak,  or bubbles in the cooling system, but if the car had no work on it, then the only way air is gonna get into that head is from your head gasket puttin combustion chamber gasses.

thermostats dont NORMALLY flucuate likethat,  they either stay stuck open or stuck closed.  in which case with it closed, your engine will just overheat and if its stuck open your guage wont rise at all!
[post=463180]Quoted post[/post]​

not true, every time i have had to replace a thermo, it has started to stick on me. as in it will stick shut then finally open, or vice versa, so it dosent just stay open or shut when its bad.
[post=463184]Quoted post[/post]​

hence the reason i said normally, meaning its possible but its more of a minority, while the majority of the times it would stick open or stick closed..

also you dont have to have white smoke puffin out the tailpipe to have a blown head.

My problem was I had tons of ait bubbles in the coolant system. So I fixed it. Now Im fine. As far as the rear disc brakes go... I suggest using them from an DA/DB (90-93) Integra

Back