**THERMOSTAT HELP!!!**

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
I got everyone at autozone stumped. I got a 94 civic hatch cx. It has a 95 cdx engine (d15b7). Well, the other night my upper radiator hose broke and squirted coolant all over my engine. Prior to that my coolant gauge on my cluster read cold most of the time. So my guess was that my thermostat was bad. So i went to auto today to replace the hose and thermostat. I took off the thermostat housing and there was no thermostat there. Also, none of the thermostats even fit. They are all too big. Nobody knows whats up. a guy who works at autozone is so stumped hes gonna pass by my house tonite. Anyone have any idea whats up?!?!

If you want to check the thermostat, follow the lower hosel. That is where it is. In the back.

Originally posted by NoJokE@Nov 7 2003, 04:51 PM
If you want to check the thermostat, follow the lower hosel. That is where it is. In the back.

actually it comes from the upper radiator hose.

Coolant flows from the top of the radiator to the bottom. so the thermostat must sit at the top hose because, when its closed, no fluid runs through the radiator.
If its at the botom. there would be no ciruclation throught the WHOLE system and your car would over heat.

the thermostat sits in line with the upper radiator hose, and comes of the head.

Yeah, I took off my upper rad. hose, and took off the housing (held on by two bolts). The housing and the hole on the engine where the housing sits is a rectanglur shape. The thermostat is round on both sides. One side is bigger than the other but either way each side will not fit into the hole. Its suppose to be flush, in the hole. We looked at thermostats for my engine and civics from all different years, and all were the same really. I'M LOST!

BTW, again there wasn't a thermostat in there when i took it off too. Only thing i'm thinking is the thermostat is located on the lower hose because when I followed the hose from the bottom of the radiator to the block, there looked to be another sort of housing with a sensor coming out of it. Does it go there?

Originally posted by HatchSpeeD@Nov 7 2003, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I took off my upper rad. hose, and took off the housing (held on by two bolts). The housing and the hole on the engine where the housing sits is a rectanglur shape. The thermostat is round on both sides. One side is bigger than the other but either way each side will not fit into the hole. Its suppose to be flush, in the hole. We looked at thermostats for my engine and civics from all different years, and all were the same really. I'M LOST!

BTW, again there wasn't a thermostat in there when i took it off too. Only thing i'm thinking is the thermostat is located on the lower hose because when I followed the hose from the bottom of the radiator to the block, there looked to be another sort of housing with a sensor coming out of it. Does it go there?

it comes from the upper radiator hose. are you sure your taking apart the right peice? post up some pics if you can.

Well, dude came down from autozone (LOL) and we figured out, like I suspected its on the lower radiator hose. Thanks for the help guys. This has gotta be the 5th consecutive post that I didn't get help with. I mean atleast this one I got some response but lately, its like nobody helps anymore. :(

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Nov 7 2003, 06:02 PM

it comes from the upper radiator hose. are you sure your taking apart the right peice? post up some pics if you can.

On either a F22A,F22B,or H22A, the thermostat is towards the rear of the engine, coming off the lower radiator hose. I had mine out last night because my car was taking too long to warm up. No contest, lower hose. Some may be off the upper though.

why would it come offa the lower radiator hose? weird....

Kudo's to you.... glad you got it fixed. sorr i was no help though

Back