Thermostat questions.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
I need some help. I called the gas company and they say that the gas was never actually shut off. So I flipped the valve open and turned the breaker/light switch on to my furnace. When I turn the tstat to heat, nothing comes on. but when I turn the fan on it blows cold air (obviously).

So I decided to switch the old tstat out with my honeywell programmable one.

I have it set up as it should be, all the color wires are on the correct terminals.

Red - R/Rc - power
White - W - heat?
Yellow - Y - cool?
Green - G - fan

I know the red is power and the green is fan, but I can't recall which one is heat vs cool. I know it's hooked up correctly according to the directions, though.

Blue - unhooked as it was. I apparently have a four wire system, it says on a 5 wire system I'm supposed to unhook the bridge between the R and Rc pins.

With and without the bridge I can't get the heat to blow, any suggestions? It's like 38 in my house right now and my hands are still numb from the 20 minute drive.

When I opened up the furnace it's on and seems to blow some air, and had a light or whatever on, but no real heat is coming out.

Nobody has ever put in a thermostat or had this problem? :(

and boo to all of you being asleep.

Is there a main valve on your gas meter? It might have been closed when they left.
If the furnace is running, it should be making heat.

Assuming its a 1 heat/1 cool stat

with the jumper intact (between R/Rc):

R/Rc: Power
W: Heating
Y: Cooling
G: Fan

Also...MAKE SURE YOU'VE GOT THE RIGHT VOLTAGE

Baseboard heating is usually 120 or 240v
T-stats can be 24/120/240/even 460v

Also, if you have a gas fired boiler, the t-stat might not work with the zone valve (2 wire vs 3 wire)

If you're still having problems, just let me know what model t-stat it is and I'll try to help you out

Last edited:
Ok, I had everything right. The lady that said the gas was never shut off was only half right. I had gas service there, but the main meter was closed. A tech stopped by and flipped it on, my stove works, my furnace works, and shortly my water heater will work when I fix the grommet.

Now I'm getting heat and the furnace is running.

Yes, Heat. I set it for 68 for the time being. let it get warmed up and then I still gotta move the Tstat.

I would have figured you'd get the right answer, living in Alaska and all. :p

Rep for you. heh

Shit. I need to learn about t-stat's and heaters and such. Stuff I have no idea about.

Well I have a gas furnace at the house, the color codes were exactly as I described them. It's apparently not that hard, I had everything right but the gas wasn't on. heh

Back