Thermostat

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

efhondakid

My name is Byron.
Where is the thermostat housing on the 4.0 Jeep motor, right on the front of it where the upper rad. hose goes into the head. Im pretty sure thats where its at, just not 100% and this puppy is old and rusty so I dont want to have to take more apart than I have to.

If you have a recent one (like, 95 or so and newer ? Not sure) the overflow tank has a line that goes into the head. That's where I recall it being.

The hose tracing isn't as important as the water neck itself. It should be a large, bulbous water neck with a split housing.

Take this opportunity to flush the system and go with a lower temp stat.

The thermostat will be taken out completely, its my friends 87' Cherokee Wagoneer, it never sees the street, and when your in the woods on a hot day it runs hotter than it should. So I told him we can pull out the thermostat, the AC condenser and wire the fan straight to the kill switch (its push button start) to help it run a little cooler.

You may be surprised. It doesn't work.

the jeep 4.0 in the Cherokee body runs hot. That's what it does. MOPAR failed completely when designing that truck, and they ignored it's problems for almost 20 years.

My dad's had major cooling issues, removing the thermostat did nothing except make it take 10 minutes longer to warm up in the winter. Clayton had a Heep cherokee and he had to redesign the entire cooling system.

Back