They got me

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
Most of you know I've been a Systems Admin for years. In the [linux] tech world there are 3 types of people.

Old School - Perl/Bash/C. Guys that know every resistor on the board and know how to better manage power diversion than the EE that developed the thing.
New School - Python/Ruby. Love writing insane breath takingly simple applications. OOP is their meme of choice.
Java/PHP - *shudder* they should just jump off a bridge.

I've been in the old school group for as long as I can remember. But now I'm trying to get into the emerging products and engineering team. While my C expertise is good for that position I had to learn a higher level language that wasn't perl. I picked Python (after some quick hits on craigslist in my preferred cities to see whether python or ruby was more popular).

In the last 3 weeks I've written a complete XMLRPC Server and supporting Client to revamp our entire provisioning infrastructure. A file system scanner that scans 580k directories for log files older than a week and deletes them (I had previously written this in perl and python is....32x faster. Literally. And I'm using 10 fewer threads in python), and a command line, script friendly interface for our ticket system. All 3 utilities come in at.....490 lines.

I love you python you've made my life a better easier to read place. I hate you for your required whitespace, but I'll live with that negative to take advantage of every positive of which there are too many to list. Just get better out of the box floating point math so I don't have to convert everything into a Decimal object plzkthx.

python.png

Last edited:
Moving into leading edge application development with a solid Old School foundation will take you far.

we're writing something similar to webistrano here in Ruby. I come from Java world. Fun stuff.

this is not at all what i was expecting
little bit disappointed

I don't even know what the hell this is about, so exit stage left.

It always feels like there are more tech geeks here than there are. Oh well, I think I got my target audience.

I can run the wire, set up a network and get it working, but that stuff you guys do would put me to sleep.

It always feels like there are more tech geeks here than there are. Oh well, I think I got my target audience.
I think the level of depth of the tech geek is in question.

Back