They're trying to fool us all!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
I just went to bloom Bloom * A Different Kind of Grocery Store for some dinner items. (making fresh tomato sauce with a touch of cream over spaghetti with a ribeye steak on top) anywho, I needed to pick up some heavy cream and I noticed while in the cream department they had half and half, however, there was a catch, it was fat free half and half.... what the heck???? that's like asking for fat free pork bacon how the heck do you pull that off?

Half and Half means half milk and half cream. I guess the milk part could be skim milk, but the cream part would have to be at least 18% fat in order to be called "cream"

So I have to ask myself, what are they selling? half skim milk and half skim milk? wouldn't that be labeled as skim milk?

For a product to be fat free, it has to (by USDA standards) have less then .5g of fat per serving. Maybe the half pint carton had 30 servings in it?

I need to find something better to do with my time lol

maybe it uses some sort of thickening agent to get the same consistency, but without the fat

fat free + diet stuff FTL

maybe it uses some sort of thickening agent to get the same consistency, but without the fat

fat free + diet stuff FTL

Doesn't matter how they do it, you can easily thicken milk in many ways. but

Half in half, is half cream half milk. again cream by USDA stadards has to be at least 18% fat to be labeled cream.

So they're not selling half and half. They're selling half skim mike and half skim milk with god knows what to thicken it and make it stronger tasting.
It should be called half and half substitute.

did you know Cage Free and Free Range mean different things? There's a lot of things in the higher end food markets now trying to capitalize on people trying to be healthier when they eat. Make sure you know the differences... what 'organic' really means... or just know the marketing they're using. Then compare quality with 'regular' store bought goods. I just hate how it 'appears' that thing are something they really aren't. Don't always trust labeling.

The Fda Does Not Regulate The Term Organic. Everything Is Organic Ie Matter Can Not Be Created Or Destroyed So Everything Came From The Earth Or It's Relative Vicinity, Hence Everything Is Organic

Indeed.

and still haven't lost your fire...

agpoker13-owned.JPG

owned!

:bo:

Last edited:
The USDA certifies what's 'organic' and what isn't. but you have to do your own research to see how 'truly' organic it is. ;) After all, I'd rather consult the US Dept of Agriculture over the Food and Drug Administration. I think you're thinking of herbal supplements used for treating ailments. You're right there that the FDA doesn't regulate that... but that's another story.

Ingredients: Nonfat milk, milk*, corn syrup solids, artificial color**, sugar, dipotassium phosphate, sodium citrate, mono and diglycerides*, carageenan, natural and artifical flavors, vitamin A palmitate.

*Adds a trivial amount of fat

**An ingredient not normally found in half and half."

A "serving size" is 2tbs. So as long as 2tbs of the stuff has less than .5g of fat, then they can call it "fat free"

So, a 20oz container (containing 40tbs) of the stuff could contain 10 grams of pure fat and still be called fat free.

But that still falls VERY short of the 10% requirement at 1.765% fat.

Hellllooo false advertizing. Its thickened colored skim milk. labled half n half. End of story.

Ingredients: Nonfat milk, milk*, corn syrup solids, artificial color**, sugar, dipotassium phosphate, sodium citrate, mono and diglycerides*, carageenan, natural and artifical flavors, vitamin A palmitate.

*Adds a trivial amount of fat

**An ingredient not normally found in half and half."

A "serving size" is 2tbs. So as long as 2tbs of the stuff has less than .5g of fat, then they can call it "fat free"

So, a 20oz container (containing 40tbs) of the stuff could contain 10 grams of pure fat and still be called fat free.

But that still falls VERY short of the 10% requirement at 1.765% fat.

Hellllooo false advertizing. Its thickened colored skim milk. labled half n half. End of story.

FDA/CFSAN - Federal/State Food Programs: Milk Memorandum

Is a milk product labeled "Fat Free Half-and-Half " properly labeled?

Yes. A milk product can be labeled "Fat Free Half-and-Half" provided it meets
the requirements of 21 CFR 131.180, 21 CFR 130.10, and 21 CFR 101.62. This would
be a food that uses a standardized name and a nutrient content claim per the
provisions in 21 CFR 130.10.
huh

I love being a skinny motherfucker, sometimes. No dieting, no having to watch out for fat or calorie intakes. I buy what I want and I would have never noticed a half and half, fat free. Hell i'd probably have not even looked at the fat free version if I was getting some half and half.

Back