They're trying to kill us !

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

I was just watching Top Gear, and they had another "What happens when you dump your car in a lake" experiment.

And he died.

He was able to free the door after 30 seconds of struggling, But, before that could happen he had to give the air signal. Divers gave him air, and he was operating on borrowed time.

So what happened ? I immediately and smugly thought "Ah! He didn't check the door locks!" But he did. He was finally able to get the door open about 4 seconds after hitting the bottom of the tank.

The bottom ?

Yes ! As you continue to sink, the pressures on the outside of the car CONTINUE to be greater than inside, and your fate is sealed! So even with the car full of water, holding his breath - The doors were still clamped shut.

Oh my god ! Talk about a fuckin nightmare situation, If I dumped my car into water I would do just that - Unbelt, unlock the doors, try the windows. If the windows short out, I would calmly prepare to swim as soon as the car filled with water. Then, when I was ready to push on the door - It wouldn't goddam open. And I would shit myself.

So he said "Ok, How hard is it to open the doors, with no water in the car?"

They dumped the car in the water. He tested the windows - Nothing. Unbelted, and went to open the door with water up to the glass - And hey hey hey now ! They opened ! Took alittle effort, but the doors opened right up, and he swam to the edge of the tank.

didn't even wet his damned hair.

Those fuckers LIED ON US.

-> Steve

You do know marijuana is an addictive drug with a potpourri of harmful chemicals don't you?

wow that made so much sense to me ! well i guess i wore my decoder ring

What in the fuck did you just say?

Did someone die or no?

Were you trying to get at the fact that experiment disproved the myth?

or have a sharp object and place on the window and give it good jab. it should bust the windows up.

I contend that even power windows will work when the car is significantly submerged.

Havok: How is this thread worthless ?

Get cars with manual windows.. Roll down window, wait for car to fill up, swim to safety.

Thats what I would do, anyway... Breaking a window would probably be extremely difficult unless you had a hammer or something readily available, then you would have to live through the rush of broken bits of glass and jagged edges on the way out.

I have a crazy ass solution: Stay the hell out of the water.

What you were trained to do when a car winds up the drink - is FALSE. That's the point of this.

Apparently, the best thing you can do is simply open the doors and swim to shore. Don't wait for shit - The whole "water in the cabin, hold your breath thing" is a farce.

The doors won't open until a few seconds spent on the floor of the lakebed / bottom. If you plunge into the water, it takes about 30 seconds to sink 25 feet. If you are in 50 foot deep water (The dam near me is 100 feet deep) then you're fuckin dead. The pressures never equate.

have a sawsah ready and cut that shit up.

haha actually they do sell those sharp object things. I forgot what theyre call but, they say you can use a screw driver too. oh what about popping the truck and crawling out? pressure is still to great?

Originally posted by endlesszeal@Sep 15 2005, 08:45 AM
have a sawsah ready and cut that shit up.

haha actually they do sell those sharp object things. I forgot what theyre call but, they say you can use a screw driver too. oh what about popping the truck and crawling out? pressure is still to great?
[post=554914]Quoted post[/post]​

these words make my brain hurt!!11!~

Back