They're trying to kill us !

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

If you have a hatch, sure - Go for it. You definately can't pop the trunk though. Imagine someone sitting on it while you feverishly try the release.

It's a point-break, Punch-break or simply a punch. And they do work underwater with great pressures. CLOSE YOUR EYES. Someone else mentioned that when you break the glass, all the glass comes back on your face, and the water rushing in will be like getting hit in the face with a wet truck.

Best bet, is to get your passengers together (Seatbelts off? Doors unlocked? Try to get your window down) and co-ordinating the exit. If you open your door, they will go down with the car REALLY fast.

If you have a pop-up type sunroof, that would be my escape plan. Open the polaris hatch!

-> Steve

or just never buy a car with electric windows like me :p

( i never really thought about safety, it just so happens that ive never owned a car with electric windows because mainly i am poor)

my said she watched fear factor and you are supposed to wait till the bottom. Apparently the girl that actually did this had an incident after fear factor and said if she didn't go through fear factor she wouldn't have known what to do and died.

But what you're saying contradicts that. Now I don't know what the fuck i'm supposed to do if i'm in that situation.

Who's more reliable top gear or fear factor?

And how will I know how deep the water is till I go in damnit? <_<

lol

Well here is how you tell that you're at the bottom, and the pressure is about to let you out:

You push against the door until either it opens, or you stop twitching.

What I'm more surprised about is that the moment the car hits the water, you can open the door with some effort. That's astounding. I mean why would you just overlook this crucial piece of information ?

Originally posted by IceBolt@Sep 15 2005, 12:22 PM
And how will I know how deep the water is till I go in damnit? <_<
lol
[post=554987]Quoted post[/post]​

Install a fishfinder.. Put the sensor on a stick, 10 feet in front of the car.

There are a lot of "crucial piece"s of information that get myseteriously overlooked by a lot of people. It's nothing new.

i never heard of this "if your car goes into water wait till you hit bottom before trying to get out" crap
fuck that!!!
if my car goes into water im getting the fuck out immediatly
cars generally take a while to sink... im not going to waste all of that time at the surface, only to end up in a situation hoping i can still function well enough while holding my breath under who the fuck knows how much water

or stay home when it rains.....drive only on roads and bridges.....avoid driving on peirs....stay in the desert.....

the chance of you driving into water......and having the car sink is very slim...with the odds against you...you might win a lotto first..... ;)

I don't even know why I am reading this, I own a del sol. 2 latches, and I am treading water.

Well, I should have won the Lotto, because I've hit the drink in the past. Almost ten years ago in fact. I was 21, WASTED, and asked to drive to an afterhours party.

Long story short. An unfamiliar intersection with a forced right hand turn combined with my severely impaired vision/judgment/speed, landed me about 75 feet out in the river Dukes of Hazard style. I mean, I cleared pilings 25 feet out, at street level almost. Road crown and speed......

Myself and passenger hit the water. I flipped for about 5-10 seconds while figuring out what just happened. Moment of clarity: Get the fuck out!!!!

Passenger flips out, can't even get her seatbelt off. I reached across her and removed her seatbelt, then threw her door open. That's right, I saved the girl.....

I went down with the car. I took a deep breath before going. After hitting bottom, with eyes open I had to feel for my seatbelt and door handle. I removed my seatbelt, found the door handle and threw the door open, kicked off and swam to top. I was probably 25 feet down or so.

True story. Embarrassing, but enlightening.

Why the fuck would you stay with your car when its sinking. The second i hit the water my door would fly open or window down. Im not going down with my ship :p

I don't think Tab, or the thousands of other people yearly that drive in soup, have either a choice or a desire to stay with the car. It happens.

Back