Think our Gov't encourages hybrid vehicles?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
another little gift to the oil companies i suppose...

04 and 05 get 2K, 06 gets cut to 500, and then nothing after that...
so much for supporting enviromental protection

Under the Working Families Tax Relief Act of 2004, the deduction amount is limited to $2,000 for cars first put into use in 2004 and 2005. the deduction will be limited to $500 for vehicles placed in service in 2006, and no deduction will be allowed after that year.

Certain Toyota and Honda models qualify for the deduction:

Toyota Prius — Model Years 2001 through 2005
Honda Insight — Model Years 2000 through 2005
Honda Civic Hybrid — Model Years 2003 and 2005
Honda Accord Hybrid — Model Year 2005
Ford Escape Hybrid — Model Year 2005

well, the emissions standards are going up so I guess the hybrids will pretty much be unessicary...

Yeah but the whole idea from a hybrid is they get much better gas mileage.. inturn saving out oil.

theres plenty of oil, and it make the government makes $$ from it (fed tax is like $.30/gal of gas)

so, why would they encourage hybrids for the gas mileage aspect?

Exactly.. now they aren't giving you a tax break.. Everything is about $$.. they promote hybrids for what 2 years?

makes you think they are actually concerned about the people that put them in office.

right, but like I said in the 1st place, the tax break was about "enviromental protection"...and with the federal emissions standards going up, all the new cars will be producing almost the same amount of "bad particles" as those hybrids did.

and they're certainly not going to give *everyone* who buys an '07 model a $2k tax break

-and as far as oil running out, I'd bet they find a way to make a completely synthetic form of gasoline/other oil based fluids long before its all gone

hybrids are about fuel consumption
their low emissions is just a biproduct

fuel efficiency and emissions are not directly related

Actually I think it is just trucks and SUVs that are placed into new restrictions. to be the same as cars.

yeah, but isn't the tax break "envirmental protection"?

I understood that as meaning ultra low-emissions

Quoted post[/post]]
hybrids are about fuel consumption
their low emissions is just a biproduct

fuel efficiency and emissions are not directly related

Excatly.. My crx was getting 41 MPG before it died and you could see the smog cloud forming above it.. (actually it was probably the quart of oil burning off every week)

i think i said enviromental protection and mislead you...

i meant more than just air pollution...

Hybrid vehicles obtain greater fuel efficiency and produce fewer emissions than similar vehicles powered solely by conventional gasoline-powered engines. The deduction amount was set after the automotive corporations documented for the IRS the incremental costs of buying their hybrid vehicles.

it is specifically refered to as Clean-Fuel by the IRS

Back