Think this customer is gonna be mad?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ScrapinSi

A customer that we have just bought a bunch of new equipment. Well, each piece of equipment is going to be linked through a central sql database.... I just finished running the numbers on what they are going to need for firepower to contain it all...

Minimum of:
Dual Xeon Dual Core 2.6ghz or Greater (Quad Recommended)
16gb DDR2 400mhz (32gb recommended)
1.3tb SCSI Raid Array (Recommending 1.6+tb of storage)
2 Dual Port Gigabit Ethernet Cards
Windows Server 2003 X64

Retail price from Dell... $21k... :huh::eek::cool:

Glad its not coming out of my pocket.

Linux with Oracle or MySQL or Postgres.

Take yer pick.

Linux with Oracle or MySQL or Postgres.

Take yer pick.

We used a linux server at my last office. And thats not a bad build, but dell is reaming you on a server that would cost you about 15k to make yourself (with Win Server 2003 and SQL Enterprise).

We used a linux server at my last office. And thats not a bad build, but dell is reaming you on a server that would cost you about 15k to make yourself (with Win Server 2003 and SQL Enterprise).

Yeah, Dell is shafting ya with that price.

we got about the same from dell a few months ago ~18K.

#1 I aint buyin it, the customer is.
#2, I doubt they pay retail from dell, considering they do a couple million a year with dell.
#3. I dont like building PC's anymore. Too much of a hassle, and no money in it anymore. The big boys can do it so cheap now, it aint worth my time.

Holy Shitballs thats cheap!!

Too bad this customer only buys from Dell & HP for their servers. Thats what happens when you deal with multi-million dollar insurance corporations. They standardize what they buy.

And I guess the software department was talking with microsoft yesterday, and they recommend a Quad Dual Core Processor setup for our application once we are at 100%.

I guess when you are writing 30 lines of code to the database every millisecond from 6 different sources, microsoft wants you to have some firepower
behind it.. Go Figure...

I don't think its my company - we don't use Dell...

Back