Thinking about a job with the government or military

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
I know someone on here works for the military as a citizen. I just wanted to know how you like the job and working for the government or military and what everyone else thinks about it too.

I know many people who contract with the gov.

working for the gov tends to give you the best benefits and retirement, however people who contract with them tend to make more money.

anyways, your question is pretty open. What did you have in mind, what do you want to do?
Does anything you want to do require you to have a clearance?

Only experience is, I know some acquaintances that do general contractor work for the bases around here. Very good pay for how little they actually do, but to get there, they had to get clearances, and worked their asses off and had serious contacts with the base management to get it.

I work for the government. as a full time employee. Really the only downside is the fact that you work for the government :) What I mean by that is it is a bureaucracy. And some times some very stupid decisions are made. But by the same hand you also have a chance to make a direct impact on some very serious issues. I really enjoy the job more for what I do than the pay, hours or benefits. I am able to give something back to our nations Veterans who have done so much for us. I have a direct impact on these men and woman with my day to day job and I still get to be there for my son as well.

I need a career. Will work with me going to grad school. I'm thinking of doing a short tour with the Border Patrol when I finish grad school, but need to have a government job first.

No particular job. I was referred to USAJOBS.gov. There are a few facilities around me so I wouldn't have any crazy commute either.

Im with the VA and I think Pickles is DoD I believe. If you have any questions I would be happy to help.

where does the border patrol fit in to your final plan?

if it doesn't, don't waste the time. look for a company that you want to work for after grad school, get an entry level job, then get your mba and make through the ranks quickly.

where does the border patrol fit in to your final plan?

if it doesn't, don't waste the time. look for a company that you want to work for after grad school, get an entry level job, then get your mba and make through the ranks quickly.
It fits into the idea that I don't want to live/work in NJ my whole life. Border Patrol is just one of the many things that could fill that category. I want to live/work somewhere else and then return to the east coast. I was going to do this after college to either Chicago or Myrtle Beach but all those plans fell through. Ideally I would actually like to do it in another country, but I don't know how feasible that may be.

As for it "wasting time", I have the mindset that if you enjoyed yourself, learned something, or simply added an experience/a few stories to your life, then it's not wasted time.

Does anyone know about CAD? Computer Aided Drafting? I took a few classes on it in hs and really excelled at it. I was the best in my high school at it. And I enjoyed it.

Well recently I found out that a kid in my class who could barely open the correct program has been making near 6 figures doing it almost since we graduated. I would love to do it, but I have no idea how to get my foot in the door.

As for it "wasting time", I have the mindset that if you enjoyed yourself, learned something, or simply added an experience/a few stories to your life, then it's not wasted time.
then you need to decide if you want to 'enjoy life' or have a career. i agree that it isn't wasted time, but if you are trying to get on a career path, border patrol isn't the way to go, unless of course that is your career path.

there are a lot of options out there, you just have to know where to look. you can be a civilian contractor at ANY military installation. there are hundreds in the u.s. you can join a full time guard or reserve unit if you want to and move there. you can work at a regular company with something you are already qualified for, you just have to be willing to move.

Back