thinking about getting a bike

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

appreciate the offer, but if your name fits your location, it will cost me more to even get it here. there's 43124234423 bikes around here. no need to ship one.

getting a bike is more of a group thing. its like when everyone gets a quad and goes riding... but me.
or everyone goes snowmobiling... but me
or everyone plows hot bitches.... but me.

i need the tool to be able to hang out.
within 2 days, i'll either love it or hate it on my own accord.

i have no want for a 1000.
a 600 is fine to just cruise around with. i plan to drive it around 45-60mph most the time.
i have no desire to do 190.
i have no desire to run 10s.

i want to putt around town with some friends on nice nights.

tonight, i was the "chase car" for 6 bikes.
yay.

i'm 260 lbs. a 250 would be like riding a moped.... not to mention i'd look retarded on it. i'm simply too big for it.

SV1000 done.

a good bit cheaper to insure then a 600SS and also more forgiving.
also for all around riding both highways and backroads it will do the job very well.

If you really enjoy riding and are not 100% happy with the SV you can easily sell it and buy something to fit your riding style once you figure out what that is. May it be a Honda 1000RR or a cruiser.

i really don't want a 1000 cc bike.... even if it is a 'crossover' bike. its just too big for what i want.

maybe the sv650 is something to consider.
Suzuki SV650 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pretty cheap too 6499 new? damn

I would never buy a SV650 unless it was only for use around town. Or to be used as a track bike to race in the SV650 class.
If you plan on jumping on and off the highway I'd stick with the SV1000.

Keep in mind a 600SS will kick an SV1000s ass both straight and backroads so don't think of the CCs as being way to much. it just means that you'll sit at a lower RPM on the highways and wont have to downshift and redline the bike nonstop.
the GSX-R600 as with CBR600 have more HP then the SV1000. but the SV1000 has more highway happy torque.

my CBR at 70mph in 6th gear sits around 7500 rpm if I remember right. If I want kick up the fun I'd have to drop 3 gears. 600s under 10-11K rpm = sucks

For all around riding I'd go for the larger 1000 and that's coming from a skinny fu@k =)

Just think of it as driving your car on the highway day in and day out. Do you want a high reving civic that has to be reved to hell just to pass a car or your M3 where you can just leave it in the same gear and push down the throttle.

BTW the idea of you riding a ninja 250.... hahaha that would make the best flag day issue ever.

Last edited:
an sv650 is an excellent starter bike imo. its naked so its a bit cheaper on insurance (not that it matters to you :p) its not an ss bike so its more comfortable ride, but it also has alot of torque, youll be able to keep up with everyone on rides around town and such. theres a couple sv650's and 1 sv1000 in my riding group and everyone loves them. a guy i know with a busa is looking to buy another sv650 as his daily bike because he misses the old one he had. said its alot more fun and practical as a daily bike.

also if you want the full fairing look without the full performance of an ss bike, try a katana. they are full fairing bikes, but have a much more comfortable seat position and riding angle. plenty fast for what youd need and alot more comfortable.

Last edited:
ill say this now that im starting out on bikes and have ridden a fair few....(been riding a month now)

if your going to get something second hand make sure you know the person who is selling the bike (like i did) and that it is in decent condition so you dont need to repair it....

if your going to go new (i dunno what the bike laws are like over there in the u.s)

but here in australia you are allowed to start off with a 250cc MAX

then you get your p's and you can go for 500cc then green p's which then you can go for i think 600cc....

after that your home free...

but i myself rather the 250's rather then the 500's for now ^_^ for the sheer fact i know if i fuck the bike up im fucked and that it doesnt have to much power but gets me to where i need to go

(we cant go over 60 km/h unless on highway then its 80km/h)

2000+ honda 600 f4i

have fun:D
that is all

Rsh1.jpg

Stop being a pussy.

CBR 1000 RR.
CBR1000RR_Repsol.jpg

Plenty of power to lug your heavy ass around, and looks good to boot. Dont want to do 190? ... Dont. But when all of your friends start taunting you on your moped you're going to go buy a big powerful bike anyway.

I'd Highly suggest buying new. You really have no idea what a bike has been through in its life. No, the previous owner wont be honest about it, either. You couldnt sell a bike if you told people "Yeah, my brother died on that bike" or "I laid that bastard down at 60mph"

Oh, and "Custom Paint" is code speak for "This bike got fucked up at some point in its life". So I'd only look at factory painted bikes in the used dept.

Get the CBR, get some sliders as added insurance, ride it for 6 months, get sick of it, and sell it to me at a hefty discount =D

Last edited:
the last thing he put a turbo on never ...

:hide::hide::hide:

the ,m3 revs to 8400 y0!!!
There's a difference.

the M3 still has more then 20lb of torque below 6000RPM
Picture your M3 having the torque of a stock Civic HX then after 6K things start to get a bit better more like a Civic SI then after 10K it turns into an F40

point being when you're on the highway if you want to speed up you have no choice but to drop 2-3 gears. just giving it more throttle will give you that 30mph in 4th gear feeling a Civic HX gives you.

While I love how the 600s are high reving bikes and I enjoy riding them, I also stick 95% to back roads and I'm almost never below 7K
Because of that reason I don't ride it more often to and from work because I have to take extra time in order to hit the backroads to work where if I had an SV1000 or other mid sporty torque happy bike I'd ride a lot more often. That's why I'm thinking about buying a 2nd bike.
one for sport and one for going to and from work as with around town.

Last edited:
nope sorry im not joking....

my friend had a cbr and got it turbo'd....didnt cost him to much for the kit and he installed it himself (works on bikes for a living) and it flies now^_^

i ride with a couple turbo bikes, not all that hard to do. can get pretty expensive though. boosting a honda car is cheaper ;)

There's nothing wrong with doing a turbo bike I know a handful of people who have them.

However buying a 9499.99 CBR 600 and turboing it to make it as powerful as the 11499.99 1000RR Is totally pointless you'd spend more on the turbo + time

Then you have the warranty being voided issue, as with reliability issues.
and the fact that most people can't even ride a 600SS anywhere near its limits.
it's a pretty stupid move unless you're a highway queen.

Knowing B he wont buy an older bike, he'll buy something new or MAYBE 2-3 years old. and with the price of a 600 to a 1000 being not far off. whats the point?

Turbo bikes = nothing more then showing off that you have a large penis.

Now stretching an older bike and turboing it (something like a mid 90s Bandit 1200) would make for a kick ass drag bike. but then the bike would handle like shit and wouldn't do anything but go in a straight line.

Turbo bikes do have that "cool" factor but in the end it just makes for a touchy bike.

sv1000 would def fit your size/situation well, and older 600's are not "a lot slower" than new ones

my cbr F3 kept up just fine with an 05 r6(and newer gixxer's etc, my friends bikes not random bikes, street racing=ghey.) , im not saying it is faster, but to someone who isnt a seasoned rider, you couldn't tell/use the difference

+1 for the SV and +1000 for msf/other classes and GEAR

yeah i could understand ur negative persuana about the shipping, but actually u are in luck....i happeb to be a manager for fedex, and if u are truely intrested i will give you my discount which is 75% off heavy weight shipments including the fact that it would be insured because you are getting through the best.....not to mention if its late its free shipping. Please, do not get the sv its a peice of shit tourquey but ugly.....no pharings...i love suzuki but i think they could have done w/o the sv.

one more thing......the reason you want a bike is the same reason i got mine. just to cruise i ahe a truck too i mostly drive, but if i got a date or soemthing or if im going out with tha fellas we take the bikes. but honestly man it doesnt matter if tis just you or 200 hundred other people if u got a bike and you can drive it decently its a pussy magnet. take it from someone who knows persoanlly.....ive experienced some wild times on that thing....seriously bro from riding it to stuntin...to getting girls....that bike has given me so many memories......and being that u are about to get ur first one.......o boy i remember the days...good luck man....but bottome line if ur going to get a bike and ur not sure the only thing i can tell you is this "go big or go home"

Bama, the SV650/1000 is a really good looking bike to a lot of people. each person has their own taste. Sure Suzuki could have done with out it but then again it does pretty good sales wise, enough to have its own racing class.

When you get a bike for higher mileage riding, like two and from work, having a naked bike can be a big plus, I miss when I use to have 5 minute oil chances, now the whole #$#%ing lower
have to come off unless you like dripping oil all over your plastics.

as far as the it has no
As stated before, insurance is night and day. It might be $90 a month for B to insure a 600SS bike where an SV1000 might only cost him $25-30 a month.

if u got a bike and you can drive it

you drive cars.

Back