thinking about getting a bike

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BTW this is one of those ugly SV bikes with nothing more then an after market lower fearing, Best part is you still get the much cheaper insurance.

48038060.SV650sFronttwFairingstripe.jpg

sure is ugly

The SV650 looks GREAT with that lower fairing setup. I would rock it.

It does, and for good reason, look very close to the R6 / R1 shapes. I would say that the only problem I have with them is the bubble shield (And the gauges, as I understand from my friend on his 3rd R1, aren't too reliable)

Also, these bikes aren't great for inspiring confidence. The SV650 and Ninja 650s are good for that. The 600RR and ZX600 / ZZR6 are difficult to learn on because of the aggressive moments of inertia. Is it possible to learn on one ? You bet. It's also possible to learn to fly with the SR71 blackbird. No one does it for a reason.

I guarantee if you buy one of these 1000 or track 600s you'll get frustrated before the 2 days is up.

give hime some confidence dont make him scared....dude you have to fail...to learn. Of course the first couple weeks will be scary at times, but as long as you got a good head about you(follow) you should be fine. (aka) Dont try to dont wheelies until you know how tot drag a knee. Just know your limits, and progress from there. the first time you had sex you were terrible, i mean shit i know i was lol. But after a lil practice i am now world renownd as the white mandingo....but thats for another forum...lol jk.....anyway, get something mid size like a 750....its the perfect balance between a 600 and a 1000 which in my opinion isnot only the perfect street bike which is what you want. But its also probably teh best option as far as a starter bike. Cuz a 600 like guys have already posted say that to really get any real power out of the bike you are constantly around redline. which can make the throttle alot more touchy (if you will) around those rpms. Not to mention you will need to be a master of the clutch to really unleash a 600 full potential....which does take some skill. Now a 1000 is just a monster (period) way to much to much tourque for a beginer. all its going to take is your first rainy day, and slow turn....you will try to come out of it and grab to much throttle and high side ur shit. seen it happen a couple times. A 750 does have tourque but woth a powercommander like mine has it smoothes out throttle response so crisp....you control the bike.....not the other way around. Not to mention its not to heavy or to small its the perfect balance for the street. The gixxer was made for the street and the track. the sv was made to go get groceries, and pick ur mom up from getting her hair done. why would you spend thesame amount of money if not more in some cases llike mine, and get a better bike all around for a cheaper price. think of all the incentives with this choice.....sv600....girl says cute bike....can we go for a ride soemtime...............gsxr 750 girl says damn that shit is hot can we go for a ride. See the differnece was that to much for you lill bike guys. tell me how my under tail looks.

you're missing the point.

i don't want to do wheelies.
i'm not the numma one stunna.
i don't want to give random bitches rides.
I don't need to be at 11k rpms to move the bike.

i want to cruise around with some friends

even crusing bro, its better to have it and not need it, than to want it and not have it. just trying to give you a perspective you might be looking at down the rode you know.

even crusing bro, its better to have it and not need it, than to want it and not have it. just trying to give you a perspective you might be looking at down the rode you know.

Most sport bikes with the right riders will run at the very least 11s in the 1/4 even the slow SV1000 will hit low to mid 11s while the SS bikes even the 600s will run 10s all day long with a good rider.

Either way B doesn't want a go fast super sport bike, he needs to get his ass on some random bikes to figure out what he whats for all he knows he might end up with a honda shadow.

give hime some confidence dont make him scared....dude you have to fail...to learn.
That's one of the worst things I've ever heard told to a person whos NEVER been on a bike before. You're like a money happy dealership that has no problem selling a 18 year old guy whos never been on a bike a ZX10R then as the kid leaves the whole store runs to the front to see if he kills himself in the first 50 feet of riding.

Best thing for any new rider is to BE SCARED! as soon as you get comfy on the bike, that's when you go down even more so if you only have a few days or weeks worth of riding. Check out the used market of bikes on ebay or other sites and if you know what to look for you'll find that most every bike listed has been downed. Just look at your bike.......why again did you do a custom paint job? did you crash it or the person before you?

Last edited:
well that is oviouious with id say about 90% of used bikes, but it doesnt mean anything. But tell me this since we are on honda swap. Did you buy your honda and keep the stock paint, if you did its probably an si, and if u didnt it probably is just set up for go which is ur preference, but the point im trying to make here is this.....just because it says custom paint shsouldnt set of any red flags or anything. I new someone that i worked with who painted drag bikes, so i got my own idea together for paint a put iton. I didnt want to be like everyone elese you know on a blue and white gixxer. But dude, you are acting like if you buy a used car theres not going to be any small scartches on it. the same principle applies to bikes, if its used its not going to be perfect. If you really care abotu the guys opinion who takes a magnifing glass to ur bike...well that sounds like a personal problem. Id rather stand out. by the way lets get this straight their is a big difference between crashing and dropping. Anybody who ahs ever had a bike will tell you that they have dropped it before. if they dont they are lying. Ive dropped it, my boys have dropped it.....then i got a phat ass paint job after i learned how to ride and got over my stuntin phase. But it will outrun most 1000's and will fit ur girlfriend nicley on the back.

b4.jpg

My honda has the factory paint and I'd never change it because it would hurt the resale value and unless it's a full all out show or custom built bike, whats the point? BTW my bike is an 02 and it is as clean as it was the day I bought it. Same goes for my 350Z and TL. Z is spotless and the TL has minor rock chips and what not from it being my beater. TL It did have the rear 1/4 repainted due to some jackass that scratched it, and no doubt even though it was a $600.00 repair for a pretty small scratch it will still hurt my resale in the end.

If a car is newer and has had a paint job that also throws a big flag when you try to sell it, an older car 6+ years with many miles, well not so much.

However a few year old motorcycle with low miles that has (custom paint) as with the gearing changed out. that screams a big yellow flag. wheelies anyone?

I'm in the market for my 7th motorcycle (4th street bike) The only thing I'd buy your bike for is to make a track bike or to strip it down into a street fighter. Too bad I'm looking for a twin. RC51/TL1000 type bike. I came really close to buying an RC51 2 weeks ago but passed up on the bike. =( It had 3200 miles on it but still wasn't up to pair because of dumb stuff like what you have listed on your bike.

Anybody who ahs ever had a bike will tell you that they have dropped it before. if they dont they are lying. Ive dropped it, my boys have dropped it
I haven't crashed a single street bike, and everyday I get on my bike I get on with the thought that today is going to be the day so as always I dress to be prepared for the crash. from my racing boots to my Shoe-I helmet. But it's nice to know that not only have you trashed your bike but also your friends.

i learned how to ride and got over my stuntin phase. But it will outrun most 1000's and will fit ur girlfriend nicley on the back.
Please.... most everyone who talks that shit does nothing more then just that.
I see it day in and day out when I'm on my tiny 600. I just tell them they're cool and say nice bike and let them go because it's pointless to waste my time with them.

First thing is you're pretty bold making a statement about your bike knowing damn well that with the right rider most any bike will beat any bike, My insurance ladies husband is a racing instructor and with out knowing you or how much background you have I would still place $100.00 on a race with him on a ninja 250 that he'd kick your ass all across a small track. as with most "normal" street riders, shit, people say I'm fast as shit but I would never be able to touch him if he was on a 250 on a small track, even if I was on a 1000RR. most people who ride even after 10 years can't even push their bikes near the limits. So for your 750 to beable to say it outruns most 1000s, it just shows your ignorance. that or all your friends who ride the 1000s are squids who can't do anything more then pull a wheelie. "while trashing a few bikes along the way".

Last edited:
The sharks are feeding again.

I'm pretty sure that me, or this guy, or you can all say what we want. It's all opposing sides to the argument.

B will do what B wants to do.

Ultimately, I would like to see B on a bike because he can exercise that reservation about being a jerk on it.

Also, it's important to check out all kinds of bikes. Everything that you want to see. Sit on it (Of course they won't let you take it for a ride). I'm confident that my 250 is easy enough for a beginner to at least move through a parking lot on, and I offer it for a trial run (Again, in a parking lot).

fear the toofitty !

fear the toofitty !

I can almost hear the exhaust sound as B tries to take off for the first time

Vrooommmheeeellllppppp MMMmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

poor toofitty

but I do agree B needs to get his ass on everything he can from shadows to cough cough harleys. just for shits and giggles.

also if you want the full fairing look without the full performance of an ss bike, try a katana. they are full fairing bikes, but have a much more comfortable seat position and riding angle. plenty fast for what youd need and alot more comfortable.

I've ridden a few--the 600 and the 750. After a long ride, it doesn't make you walk like a monkey, and it's more of a sport feel than a cruiser. Not as fast as the 600's like the R6 and 600RR, but it is still fun to ride, and you can find them a dime a dozen because everyone wants "track bikes"...

Just my .02.

.but bottome line if ur going to get a bike and ur not sure the only thing i can tell you is this "go big or go home"

#1 stunna .... every jumbled paragraph I read about you and your boyz pullin ass and stuntin down dat highway thur i can only picture

squid.jpg

then...

squidcrash.jpg

Don't get a sport bike to cruise on.
Cruise on a cruiser, duh.

You can cruise on a sport bike. Any bike you pick should be comfortable on your back and shoulders, as well as your ass. The only thing about sport bikes is that you ... generally... can not get an upgraded seat for them. You're pretty much where they leave you there.

The handlebars on all of them can accept risers, and some like the Ninja 650 and GSR500 have straight-through handle bars. You can, theoretically, put ape hangers on one of those.

I am doing way more long distance riding with my 250 than I thought I would . This will be first in my mind when it comes time to upgrade. But the sport position is still best for my back at all times.

If you're going to be uncomfortable on a bike, you'll be uncomfortable immediately - or within the first 10 minutes or riding. You'll know.

Besides, saying you can't cruise on a sport bike is like saying that you can't tour with a CRX. Of course you can.

Can do, and can do comfortably are not the same.
Like you say, It's a personal preference, but I just imagine B would be much more comfortable on a big twin hog than a crotch rocket. It seems to suit him better.
Plus the Hog's negative quality of frequent maintenance would be offset by the fact that it would be under warranty and he would probably be paying someone to wipe the oil off his crank case.
Obviously a Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki/Fujitsumorikatanatan cruiser would be a more economical choice, but I just love the sound of the loping idle and uneven combustion strokes of a Harley. They don't call em milwaukee vibrators for nothin ;)
Of course now I realize I started this post about comfort and then said buy a Hog. Don't listen to anything I say, I've lost it.

my old roommate weighs 240 and has a kawasaki 636 and it goes over 170mph. your size will be fine. I love my r6. it has all it's power above 10k. so when i'm riding around town and bump the throttle it doesn't shoot out from under me. but when i want to smash, i down shift and rev the fuck out of it. it redlines at 17k.

Harleys suck. I mean, they are great if it's your style - but for a beginner it's uncomfortable, hard to ride, and unpleasant. You need to be dedicated to a Harley.

Back