thinking about getting a bike

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Truth.
I suck at giving advice, I'm like "this is what I like, so you should get it"

Here's what I would do if I had no idea what type of bike I wanted and had some cash to play with.
Buy a cheap used bike and practice enough to pass the test and get your motorcycle endorsement.
Then start shopping around and actually test riding bikes until you find exactly what you want.
Sell the POS bike and buy the one that you know for sure you'll be happy with because you've ridden it and have experience.

My .02 but be warned my advice is usually terrible.

It's wierd, because that's normally the SAME way I am about it. And I did just that - I had cheap bike after cheap bike (Read: Barely working)

And I was ok with it, but I didn't get the whole experience because I was too worried about breaking, dying, or otherwise hurting myself to go far on the bike. I didn't trust them.

The new bike, that was totally easier to handle, has changed my ways. Now I understand that when trying something new, try your best to get something that's guaranteed to give you a good time. If you get something "for the pros" and struggle with it, you'll grow tired of the hobby and at the very best - not be passionate about it.

Harleys are garbage.

I bought one, brand spankin new. Hated it for 2 years and paid a guy to take the damn thing. Never again.

Most people who buy Harleys want to own a harley.
People who buy almost any other bike buy them because they want to ride.

People who like harleys are like people who prefer old cars just because they're old. The antiquated technology fascinates them, and the simplicity of the machine is appealing as it makes working on them actually enjoyable. People who don't mind getting their hands dirty and tearing something completely apart on a regular basis. If all you want is something to ride on without having to ever work on, then yeah, don't buy a Harley. In fact, no one should ever buy a late model harley, they're not even real harleys anymore. Rubber mounted engines and fuel injection do not belong on a hog.

So B, what are you thinking? any idea what you want?

Harleys are garbage.

I bought one, brand spankin new. Hated it for 2 years and paid a guy to take the damn thing. Never again.
from what i understand harleys are worth double if not tripple in Europe because of a long ass waiting list if you have one in hand that you're willing to part with.

i think i'm going to put this off till next year. i got a house to settle into now.

Stop being a pussy.

CBR 1000 RR.
CBR1000RR_Repsol.jpg

Plenty of power to lug your heavy ass around, and looks good to boot. Dont want to do 190? ... Dont. But when all of your friends start taunting you on your moped you're going to go buy a big powerful bike anyway.

I'd Highly suggest buying new. You really have no idea what a bike has been through in its life. No, the previous owner wont be honest about it, either. You couldnt sell a bike if you told people "Yeah, my brother died on that bike" or "I laid that bastard down at 60mph"

Oh, and "Custom Paint" is code speak for "This bike got fucked up at some point in its life". So I'd only look at factory painted bikes in the used dept.

Get the CBR, get some sliders as added insurance, ride it for 6 months, get sick of it, and sell it to me at a hefty discount =D

Just get the Repsol 600 you will love it. You don't need a 1000cc bike B and you can cruise on a crotch rocket you don't need a cruiser.

Honestly, the way I'm thinking here,

If you're not TOTALLY committed to riding a bike, then I wouldn't get one. It seems to me that you want one only because your friends have one, and that's the WRONG reason.

It's not a religion to everybody cel, some people just wanna putt around with their homies, nothing wrong with that.

Were that the case then "Sport bike" would be optional, and no one would be turning their nose up at my 250.

Ever notice how the majority of people turning up their nose at the 250 are fucktards and meat heads who throw out shit like "go big or go home" and "Boey, I was mad stuntin on the highway, flew by this 250 on my back tire, ya heard" the kind of people who buy bikes to be cool or get pussy. The 250 might not make you cool or get you laid, but If that's why you bought a bike, then you suck at life.

Good observations, all of them. On the other hand, the 250 DOES get you laid because honestly chicks don't know the difference between that and a Busa.

You're on a bike, with cool leathers. Mission Accomplished

Good observations, all of them. On the other hand, the 250 DOES get you laid because honestly chicks don't know the difference between that and a Busa.

You're on a bike, with cool leathers. Mission Accomplished
true true. plus, you can use it to teach a girl how to ride. that will get you laid to.
idk, ive owned my bike for nearly three years, i think i've put maybe 500 miles on it.
wow, i've put 500 miles on mine in the last 2 weeks.

The repsol is a sick ass bike. it was made track ready. a little spendy though. but sick ass bike.

I'd buy a bike, but I could only ride 2 months out of the year. That and my woman won't let me :(
She knows me too well.

Texas is pretty nice for riding. I enjoyed the riding part. I didnt enjoy the backfiring, spitting, dying, piece of crapness of the harley though. That took alot of the fun out of it.

Next bike is a CBR 1000rr. Probably a Repsol edition.. But thats at least a year away. Maybe I can pick up a heavily discounted brand new '07 after the '08s come out.

i think you will have to buy a used one. the repsol is hard to keep in stock. that bike is great.

Back