thinking about getting a bike

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

does it have vtech?

I remember reading about that.. It was honda's way of getting around some rule in a specific racing class..

8 valves per cylinder had to be fun =D

House>Motorcycle.

even on the pussy scale.

[drunks post/[

the kind of people who buy bikes to be cool or get pussy. The 250 might not make you cool or get you laid, but If that's why you bought a bike, then you suck at life.
I would by a bike for some pussy, would ride it for fun but pussy is a hell of an incentive to. bike= fun+pussy FTW

Honda NSR 250 = two stroke bad ass.

Power wise a ninja 250 = civic LX while a honda NSR 250 = S2000

Ninja 250 = starter bike/girls bike. NSR = motor GP bike.

It's like a mustang 5.0 guy trying to make fun of an F1 car for having such small (3.0) motors.

I'd rock an NSR just for the show off factor. any true bike nut would love to have one sitting in the garage, just like the Honda CBX.
CBX-oarf-xl.jpg

NSR 250 running around a track
YouTube - Honda NSR250 mugello circuit

honda CBX video YouTube - Honda CBX Hammarbacken 2006

Last edited:
the 250 Ninja is a bit confusing for both car and bike people to understand unless you've spent time with it.

It kills Civics. But when you talk about "70mph in 2nd gear is 12,000 rpm" the 250 reaches 12k in 2nd at like.. 40. I don't know if 4th gear is 1:1, but I can tell you that "in 6th, 50 is 60" (50 mph is 6000 rpm in top gear). So at times I'm in a short ratio car hanging out at 3000 rpm, the bike is doing 6000. But in terms of what the motor can / wants to do, 6000 rpm is still in an econo range on the cam. I push it to 9000 rpm and that's when the fun starts. (9000 rpm is about 80mph)

So when I'm shifting a car (Not raping it, but shifting it higher) I'm pulling off gears at about 5500 RPM. I do the same with the Ninja (in ninja terms) and I'm shifting at about 10,000 or 11,000 - I'm beating most cars on the road (I couldn't take out a GTO this morning)

So the 250's public limitations, I believe, are completely a product of those that typically own them. Beginning riders and Women, who don't do what it takes to make them fly.

I'm in the former category still - but I think even when I get out of this phase I'll keep the 250 and see where I can take it. For commuting and the roads I do 98% of the time, it's perfect.

Oh, and I took it on i-95 last night during the rush. Wow, that was wierd.

honestly, i dont know where you guys get off on ridin 250's.....i mean to each his own...but damn fellas i cant help but speak up. It seems as though u guys are so into these little bikes cuz u were to scared to step up to atleats a 600 to begin with and now you have adapted to the 250.....u know ur limits on 2 wheels and u probably get scared of the power of the 250 at times, i bet........Personally, i think, that 250's are nothing more than beefed up scooters. I got my motorcycle indorsement riding a 250, and i just dont see how you guys drive these things so often. I need the extra power to get out of the way of old ladies and shit all the time. But thats me....and i started out on the 7......Like i said before to each his own, but i will leave you all with this. If you had at least a 750, you wouldnt have to worry about getting beat by 98% of the cars on the road today. The 2% applies to the 1100whp ford gt's that whoop 1000's all day. But like i said 2%, that you probably will never see on the road. Go to Stage 6 myspace page and see the videos of that car its ridiculous.... by the way any one live in the Fla. area im getting some work done to my honda and im havent really heard anything repuatble about Stage 6 other than this one car?

honestly, i dont know where you guys get off on ridin 250's.....i mean to each his own...but damn fellas i cant help but speak up. It seems as though u guys are so into these little bikes cuz u were to scared to step up to atleats a 600 to begin with and now you have adapted to the 250.....u know ur limits on 2 wheels and u probably get scared of the power of the 250 at times, i bet........Personally, i think, that 250's are nothing more than beefed up scooters. I got my motorcycle indorsement riding a 250, and i just dont see how you guys drive these things so often. I need the extra power to get out of the way of old ladies and shit all the time. But thats me....and i started out on the 7......Like i said before to each his own, but i will leave you all with this. If you had at least a 750, you wouldnt have to worry about getting beat by 98% of the cars on the road today. The 2% applies to the 1100whp ford gt's that whoop 1000's all day. But like i said 2%, that you probably will never see on the road. Go to Stage 6 myspace page and see the videos of that car its ridiculous.... by the way any one live in the Fla. area im getting some work done to my honda and im havent really heard anything repuatble about Stage 6 other than this one car?
It has absolutely nothing to do with fear. Steve (celerity) just want an economical commuter bike. I wanted one to get re-acquainted with riding in traffic and having a sport bike rather than cruiser.

some people want the practice. some people don't have big egos. some people want to save money.

2% of cars are 1100whp ford GTs?

Jeezus. Thats a crapload of 1100whp fords. They must have had a special.

Anyway, you sir, are misinformed. A 250 is a perfectly respectable commuter bike. It gets from point A to point B. And it'll break any speed limit on any public road in the US. Its just a basic mode of transportation. And a fun one at that. Great to learn on.

the 250 Ninja is a bit confusing for both car and bike people to understand unless you've spent time with it.

It kills Civics. But when you talk about "70mph in 2nd gear is 12,000 rpm" the 250 reaches 12k in 2nd at like.. 40. I don't know if 4th gear is 1:1, but I can tell you that "in 6th, 50 is 60" (50 mph is 6000 rpm in top gear). So at times I'm in a short ratio car hanging out at 3000 rpm, the bike is doing 6000. But in terms of what the motor can / wants to do, 6000 rpm is still in an econo range on the cam. I push it to 9000 rpm and that's when the fun starts. (9000 rpm is about 80mph)

So when I'm shifting a car (Not raping it, but shifting it higher) I'm pulling off gears at about 5500 RPM. I do the same with the Ninja (in ninja terms) and I'm shifting at about 10,000 or 11,000 - I'm beating most cars on the road (I couldn't take out a GTO this morning)

I've spent some seat time on a 500, it's a nice commuter, If what you want is point A to point B with a little zip. Same could be said for some scooters.

The fact that it kills civics is... oh come on, lol if you think about it if you run an SI you would hardly pull on the car. you have about 1 second difference in the 1/4 mile.
While the bike will pull on cars like the GSR and SI most any other bike will rape them as if they're not even moving.

Just remember harleys are in the same speed class. =)

the Ninja EX250 is a enjoyable ride, but it's really nothing more then a full fairing Vista with better handling. wonderful MPG and runs and runs and runs. Again a great point A to point B.

Just always keep in mind when you're talking to bike guys, the SS guys pretty much drive around in 911s F40s XJ220s and at the lower end.... dodge Vipers. while the ninja 250/500 guys are having fun in their well handling CRX SI.
CRX is a very fun car but once you've spent some good ass time on a SS. It's really hard to go back. It's just very hard to get over the fact that a 2 wheel motorcycle is no faster then most $30K+ or even lightly modded cars like civics.

Point I'm trying to make is while the Ninja is an awesome bike, you really can't appreciate just how much better and well rounded a SS bike is.

People always say a good rider on a Ninja 250 could beat someone on a 600, I often use that saying. however that doesn't mean the 250 rider doesn't have to work that much harder to do it. even on a small track. When I use to have a bandit,there's a large track following for that bike and it can go very fast. however going from a bandit, always feeling slightly iffy in the turns, always having to "readjust" during turns
it really put things in place once I got into SS bikes. I couldn't believe that the only thing I had to do was trust the bike and look where I wanted to go. even if on a 35mph road doing 80. just simply look and the bike follows with total ease.

Again I've had seat time not on a 250 but a 500. and it was a nice little bike. but trust me. you really do have no clue on what you're missing out on. That's a good thing. Because if you did.... =)

Again point A to point B is fun. but hearing about how its so great so often on here really makes it stand out that you haven't spent much time on anything else.
You remind me of myself when I was 11-12 and first got to ride the riding lawn mower, that was the SHIT! damn I loved it. It was like a 4 wheeler to me!

On another note, if you ever make it down south. I'd love to go out riding with you.

I agree with all pro-250 points here, primarily because they are pro-250 :)

I do ride faster bikes. I ride my friend's 900 (bored over and modded) and my friend's very smooth 600ZXR. I've ridden the Triumph Daytona, and a few standard bikes.

I do appreciate the feeling of an SS bike. I do think my 250 is WAY easier to corner with than the 600 or 900 bikes (And definately easier than the 1000 and 1400 Concours' that I've ridden this year). And my bike riding experiences go back to age 16 . I got out of biking because my friend dumped really bad, and my girlfriend begged me not to get on a bike. After years of shitty bikes, I still came into the Ninja 250 pretty green. Riding a shitty bike means less hours of riding, more hours of worrying, not trusting the bike and overall having a shitty time.

I was going to upgrade to another bike next year. I was seriously saving up for the $18k BMW K1200S. I was thinking of a liter bike, and something that would give me speed that I would never grow tired of. I wanted to do 120 mph on the highway across indiana / Missouri / Kansas etc.

But my time on the 250 has really changed my point of view. When I ride with my friends, they DO pull away from me with little effort. But even when we're "Racing" (Not on a track, obviously) I only lose a few car lengths. Nothing worth jumping off the bike and running towards a Ducati with another Twelve Thousand Dollars.

Like my Mustang V6 vs V8 argument I had awhile ago: No doubt, it's got more power, but I would use that power like 1% of the time. And it's not worth the premium in purchase price and fuel consumption.

And my friends hate me when we ride, because they can't shake me, I lose them in curvy roads, and they need to stop for gas every 100 miles. I'm good to go for twice that.

So I'm thinking about NOT going to a bigger bike next year. I love this 250. Now on the other hand, if I can get my buddy in New Zealand to crate up an NSR250 for the track.... hee hee

I do appreciate the feeling of an SS bike. I do think my 250 is WAY easier to corner with than the 600 or 900 bikes

Answer this for me. Have you spent any real amount of time on a 5 year old or newer 600SS like an R6, F4i/RR ZX6R GSX-R600? Enough time to trust the bike and know how to ride it?

Spending time on a 2005 Ninja 500 I totally disagree with your statement. Then again if you were on an older 900 that has some miles on it or a 600 of the mid 90s then I'd agree with you.

i have 2000 miles on my 2006 250 and 1000 on my 2007 R6. so i have ample time on both. i find myself more comfortable going through twisties on my r6. the tires size and suspension just feel more comfortable for me. i love my 250, and it would be great to teach a girl to ride on, but i love my r6.

Answer this for me. Have you spent any real amount of time on a 5 year old or newer 600SS like an R6, F4i/RR ZX6R GSX-R600? Enough time to trust the bike and know how to ride it?

Spending time on a 2005 Ninja 500 I totally disagree with your statement. Then again if you were on an older 900 that has some miles on it or a 600 of the mid 90s then I'd agree with you.

2004 Triumph Daytona for a single 20 mile ride, about 8 local rides on my friend's 2000 Ninja ZX6R and my friend's ZXR900 is a hammered 1994. Well, it's not hammered, but at this age it takes more effort to keep it in good shape than I would be comfortable with... even though I was thinking of buying it. For instance, it gets like 25 mpg now.

Oh, and the 900 had a 45 tooth sprocket on it, and was fucking nuts with throttle input. Now it's back to normal and I can actually handle it on the roads.

But, either you don't take corners well, or don't know what to appreciate in a more capable bike.

The point jeffie is trying to make is that if someone is comfortable on a 600 vs. on a 250 they know in fact the 600 will not only destroy the 250 in the turns, the minute you hit a straight away you're a quarter mile further down the track 4 seconds faster than the 250.

I build/fabricate/design custom motorcycles.

I own a 2004 Ninja 250/ 1971 Yamaha CT1 Enduro/ and I am soon to be completing Buell custom. That said...

The Ninja is made for one thing.... getting GREAT gas mileage and being able to out turn just about anything. Itll run a mid 14 second 1/4 in its current setup and thats ALL! That being said...

There are only about 3 bikes currently made that are slower than the 250. In a straight line run you ALWAYS want more power. That also being said...

If I had to do it all over again I would still get the 250... cuz who can argue with 86mpg. On top of the 250, I would get something thatll crack off sub 12 second 1/4s..... the awesome part here..... I get to build it, instead of buying one.

B, get at least a 600.... seriously... don't be a pussy or a squid and you'll be fine.

personally, i would rather have the ninja 250 or 500 than a liter bike...

dont care for big bikes. hell i ride a 750 now, but its slower than balls.

I'm not saying my 250 will trash people in corners, it's just EASIER to corner it, and thus, I'm trashing my friends in corners because corners, on public (shitty) roads are way tougher to take on a heavier bike than they are on a track.

Power down your lasers man.

I'm not saying my 250 will trash people in corners, it's just EASIER to corner it, and thus, I'm trashing my friends in corners because corners, on public (shitty) roads are way tougher to take on a heavier bike than they are on a track.

Power down your lasers man.

I disagree I found that my F4i corners easier then the EX500 I spent time on.
maybe the 250 is better?

either way, I need to find another bike.

Back