Thinking About Getting A Credit Card

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Some "store" or "brand" CC's are everday CC's.

Cabela's is a real Visa CC. There are lots of other CC's you can get that are branded that are real CC' like a Marriott CC, Amazon CC, i think Paypal has a CC

True story. I have an Old Navy Visa that you can use anywhere. Shit, I've probably put more non-Old Navy stuff on it than not. I used to have a Meijer card as well that could be used anywhere...

Most of you are confusing STORE CHARGE CARDS with Bank-Backed store-branded credit cards.

Charge cards, like the khols card for example can only be used at kohls. These types require a 'real' credit card to link to to apply for it/etc as its backing.

a store branded card like the cabellas, GM, bmw, or any other card is an actual bank-backed venture with some branding/partnership/rewards program/etc.

I applied for a bank of america credit card, ive been banking with bank of america for years now , just assuming they will give me one idk could be wrong

thats sounds like a good place to start since they do keep your money.
it's very easy to lose sight of what you can borrow and what you physically have so Jeffie is right his suggestions.

don't spend money you don't have or will be able to replenish. follow that rule and you'll be ok.

I usually pay them off in 6 months or even sooner when i have the extra cash. Either way if my minimum is 35 bucks I send them 150-250 because my monthly budget can withstand that.

good move man!

I;ve got a khols, Home Depot, Best Buy card and 1...i repeat 1 misc credit card.

Credit cards aren't meant to help you. They are only meant to hurt you.

Credit is a rating that you get for being an idiot. It is NOT a sign of how good you are with money. If you were good with money, you wouldn't need credit. It wouldn't be part of your life.

Think about it.

Credit cards aren't meant to help you. They are only meant to hurt you.

Credit is a rating that you get for being an idiot. It is NOT a sign of how good you are with money. If you were good with money, you wouldn't need credit. It wouldn't be part of your life.

Think about it.

This is exactly the kind of advice i would warn you to stay away from. Again the country is run on credit. some jobs require you to be able to obtain a credit card. good interest rates will require you to have a good credit history.

not having good credit costs you money.... period. a CC is a good way to start building it.

Just don't get yourself into trouble with it, thats all

CC aren't designed to hurt you. They are designed to make issuers profit. Stupid people let themselves get hurt but not knowing wtf they are doing.
you have the power to not let them take any profit from you, in fact, with rewards, and the idea of using someone elses money free for 30 days, technically, you CAN profit from using credit cards.

The country is run on credit.

Also, the country is full of poor, stupid people.

All I ask is that you sit down and think about this. There are things that the rich do not have:

Direct Deposit
lotto tickets
401Ks
car loans
house loans
most types of insurance (They insure differently... and it's tough as hell to have that kind of scratch in the bank)
opinions on beer
unsecured debt
aftermarket wheels

So if they don't do it - why would you ?

The country is run on credit.

Also, the country is full of poor, stupid people.

All I ask is that you sit down and think about this. There are things that the rich do not have:

Direct Deposit
lotto tickets
401Ks
car loans
house loans
most types of insurance (They insure differently... and it's tough as hell to have that kind of scratch in the bank)
opinions on beer
unsecured debt
aftermarket wheels

So if they don't do it - why would you ?

Fair enough...but those are the upper 1%....trust fund babies, people who got their money from Dad....maybe some of them worked really hard and caught huge breaks in their careers.

But that's not most people. most are people are like me. if you want a house and a car you need to take a loan out to get it.

Of course IDEALLY it would be nice to have cash to buy anything you wanted. it's just not a reality for the other 99% of people in this country.

An

It's bad lol I know it's not a great idea to borrow money, but I'm almost thinking about doing it so I can afford the Teg I was looking at.

But then I remember something my grandfather taught me. He always says to us not to ever borrow unless you can afford to.

While the benefits could be great, it's probably not a great time to get my first credit card. It probably never will be, but I was thinking about getting one since I'll be making a few online purchases/paypal when buying parts. And I'm not sure about using credit with paypal exactly, since I haven't had a credit card before. I'm kinda a n00b when it comes to credit cards.

But in the future, I would like to have credit for sure. I saw how much my grandfather paid for his Nissan. The price was something like 14,500 for his 04 Altima in 2009, and by next year when it should be paid off it will have accrued 3500 in interest on his loan with him up to date on payments the whole time.

Fuck that.

I'm with Cel, skip the credit card. If you can't afford to pay it in cash, you don't need it. The few and far between items you need debt for (a house maybe) your not going to pay with a credit card anyway. Find someone who has house, car, credit card and student loan debt, and ask them to add up how much they pay in *just* interest.

Meh interest sucks yea, but credit cards are a necessary evil.

The day you don't have one is the day you will need one.

lost debit card? went over daily limit? need to rent a car last min because dad is dying and your train derailed?

its going to be THAT day where you wish you had one.

I'm with Cel, skip the credit card. If you can't afford to pay it in cash, you don't need it. The few and far between items you need debt for (a house maybe) your not going to pay with a credit card anyway. Find someone who has house, car, credit card and student loan debt, and ask them to add up how much they pay in *just* interest.

how do you book a hotel? or rent a car? i travel 12-15 times a year for work from NJ to CA. A Credit Card is required to reserve a hotel room...or rent a car or book a flight?

Again if someone has no credit and they are ready to buy a house....good luck with that interest rate with no credit history....talk about paying interest....

And no one here is advising to buy things you can't afford. I'm talking about using a CC as a way to build credit history. Like i said, start with getting a card and just putting gas on it and then pay it off by the due date. You need to have a credit history and it needs to be a good one.

how do you book a hotel? or rent a car? i travel 12-15 times a year for work from NJ to CA. A Credit Card is required to reserve a hotel room...or rent a car or book a flight?

Again if someone has no credit and they are ready to buy a house....good luck with that interest rate with no credit history....talk about paying interest....

And no one here is advising to buy things you can't afford. I'm talking about using a CC as a way to build credit history. Like i said, start with getting a card and just putting gas on it and then pay it off by the due date. You need to have a credit history and it needs to be a good one.

A credit card is not required to book a hotel room, not in any state that I have in anyway. They usually put an extra fee on the card which is refunded back to you after a few days, the same with a car rental. The difference with the car rental is that they may require an additional proof of residence, I show a utility bill.

you can always book a hotel or rent a car with a

DEBIT CARD.

:lol:

Back