Thinking about getting a wrx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have azenis the whole way around.

Well, honestly... what do you expect? There is NO excuse for snow tires in the winter if you get snow on the ground. Even once in a while. Your tires are the last thing between you and the ditch, so why skimp? You don't skimp in the summer, so why do so in the winter?

i would imagine that a wrx would do better just ebcause its all wheels drive.

Only marginally, and by that I mean it'll only do better in the accelleration. I gave summer tires a try in the snow on my AllTrac just to see. It had about as much traction as my old Civic did with snows. Turning and stopping were far worse. Common myth: AWD/ 4WD helps you stop and turn better in the snow. This is complete bullshit and is why we have so many massholes in the weeds here in VT during the winter. Ask yourself this: How does the engine's ability to power all four wheels help it stop and turn? Not at all! TIRES, man... tires... THEY are what stops and turns the car. Also, when buying snow tires, buy them one or two sizes narrower. This will put more weight on the contact patch and will allow the tire to cut through the slush and get down to the pavement. Stock size on the AllTrac is 215/50- 15. My snows are 195/60- 15. I chose a very agressive tire with studs. Now, with 250 HP, it's hard to get 'em to spin in 2nd gear. Stopping and braking are on par with what it's like on a dirt road. Tires tires tires tires tires tires tires. I can't say it enough.

All that other stuff about creature comforts 'n whatnot... I hear ya there. WRX is a very nice car. Go for it.

I'd have to marginally disagree. AWD definitely helps with turning in the snow. Why else can I go to a parking lot, throw my WRX sideways, and pull out of it when I want? Granted, tires help ALOT, but I'm running damn near the same tire I was running in the Accord, and I guarantee you I couldn't do what I'm doing now with my WRX. Of course, AWD doesn't make you invincible, like some people think. But if you know how to use it, it's far superior than FWD or RWD in the snow.

Obviously, AWD doesn't help at all with braking, as Loco stated.

hmmm i never thought about all that stuff loco honkey. Fact of the matter is i just want something different and the only car that i am in love with right now other then my hatch is the wrx. I just like the fact that i dont have to get my lazy ass out of my seat to let someone in the back, I think the only other 4 dr sport compact car thats can even compare to the wrx is the mazda 6 but i still choose wrx over those.

I dont drive the hatch in snow to much, right now im driving a 96 intrepid atuo which i hate with a passion

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jan 21 2004, 11:12 AM

Also, a Subaru is much easier to mod (if you want to), and most dealerships are mod-friendly and will go out of their way to help you with aftermarket parts. Also, look at this: I spent $1200 after I got my WRX, and it netted me 65 horsepower. I don't see that happening with a Volvo.

Yeah, I don't see $1200 buying 65 HP in a Volvo either. They're slow, aincient bricks...

Oh, BTW... http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?Cat...=432&RootID=629 Be sure to click on the upgrade specs. :)

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jan 21 2004, 11:22 AM
I'd have to marginally disagree. AWD definitely helps with turning in the snow. Why else can I go to a parking lot, throw my WRX sideways, and pull out of it when I want? Granted, tires help ALOT, but I'm running damn near the same tire I was running in the Accord, and I guarantee you I couldn't do what I'm doing now with my WRX. Of course, AWD doesn't make you invincible, like some people think. But if you know how to use it, it's far superior than FWD or RWD in the snow.

Obviously, AWD doesn't help at all with braking, as Loco stated.

You're talking about parking lot. I'm talking about accident avoidance on the road. Sorry bub, but AWD doesn't mean shit in a panic situation unless you're Petter Soleburg (sic).

Originally posted by b16ahatch@Jan 21 2004, 11:22 AM
hmmm i never thought about all that stuff loco honkey. Fact of the matter is i just want something different and the only car that i am in love with right now other then my hatch is the wrx. I just like the fact that i dont have to get my lazy ass out of my seat to let someone in the back, I think the only other 4 dr sport compact car thats can even compare to the wrx is the mazda 6 but i still choose wrx over those.

I dont drive the hatch in snow to much, right now im driving a 96 intrepid atuo which i hate with a passion

I'm not saying don't buy the WRX. They're great cars. All I'm saying is that before you say your car sucks in the snow, try the proper tires. Hell, I've been driving lowered turbo Hondas in VT winters for the past five years without any problems. This is my first winter with AWD.

Nice find on the Volvos. I guess it's a little more on the top end of things, then. I can spend $3000 at Vishnu, and get myself over 110 reliable horsepower. If you can do THAT with a Volvo, I'll be impressed. :)

I understand your point about panic situations. I didn't realize that's what you were getting at. However, an AWD car WILL be less prone to uncontrollably sliding while in a turn, say, at an intersection, and will be able to make it through that turn quicker and more stably.

Oh, and it's Solberg. :)

With a $3000 budget, I could get well over 200 HP more out of the Volvo, but that's me. That's not including labor. As for

However, an AWD car WILL be less prone to uncontrollably sliding while in a turn, say, at an intersection, and will be able to make it through that turn quicker and more stably.

It is no less prone to going out of control, though, and as you well know, AWD is WAY different than FWD, so unless you know how to control it, it's going to be no better.

Azenis will go absolutly no where in the snow. I left them on my crx during the first snow storm we had in CT this year. I couldn't even get the car to move in the little amount of snow that was left in my driveway after I snowblowed. I got the crx out of my driveway and I couldn't even get my car to move down hill in about 2 inches of snow. I had to tow my crx with my old truck to even get it back into my driveway to put my snows on.
Get some snow tires, they make a difference.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jan 21 2004, 09:47 AM
It is no less prone to going out of control, though, and as you well know, AWD is WAY different than FWD, so unless you know how to control it, it's going to be no better.

That's why I said this earlier:

Of course, AWD doesn't make you invincible, like some people think. But if you know how to use it, it's far superior than FWD or RWD in the snow.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jan 21 2004, 10:55 AM
First off, WRX's were made from '01 on.

Second, 2.5 RS's are somewhat of a dog, unless you put some money into them (read: turbo it). There have a decent amount of power, but I think you'll begin to find them lacking. You can't just "slap a turbo on it", it'll take at least 3 grand, much like turboing a Honda. It's just easier to do, and easier to maintain than a turbo Honda.

Next, that price seems a little high for an '02 with that many miles. My '02 has 32k on it, but I paid a bit more for the many options that were installed.

My advice is to only look for a WRX (not a 2.5 RS), and if you want that '02, try to talk the price down a little. Any options, like carbon fiber interior trim, gauge pod, etc?

They were introduced in March of 2001 as a 2002 model. You won't find a bugeye style WRX with the year 2001 attached to it.

2.5RS models are a dog off the line. 165 hp and 166 ft lbs torque. They run mid 15s so it's like owning a Honda with a bigger engine and AWD.

and yes that price is a tad high for an 02 with that many miles, personally I'd hold out until a WR Blue Pearl comes along, like dohc_vtecaccords. :D

How could I have completely missed this thread?? :hmm:

Oh, and as for the $3k....that's what Vishnu charges for their Stage 2. The thing about that is, all the work has been done for me. I can get their Stage 2 kit (which includes things like a turboback exhaust, uppipe, injectors, turbo, etc etc along with a reflashed ECU), install it, and be making 120 horsepower over stock, fully tuned. Vishnu's stuff costs money. Granted, I can piece together my kit from other companies, equal what Vishnu offers, save at least a grand if not more, and have Vishnu reflash my ECU based on other companies' parts (a nice perk of Vishnu).

Vishnu's stages are a plug-n-play thing....I was just using it as a base reference.

im in love with the wrx's, i love them! cant wait till i can afford an sti! however i had a chance to drive my friends(his father's actually) volvo s60R and let me tell you, that thing is a h00t to drive! it completely surprised me when i drove it(roads were wet) and it is quite on par with the subaru. only problem is it is about $10 grand more than the sti, and not as easily upgraded.

Back