Thinking About Getting This Car...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
Well, I sold my CRX and I was going to buy an Integra but I haven't had any luck lately so I decided to just roll around with no car and pay off some bills with the money from my CRX. I will get rid of all my debt in about 2 months then I will start saving up again for a down payment on a new car. I think god is telling me to leave the honda scene for a bit until all the thieves move on as well.

Anyway, this is the car i'm thinking about MAZDASPEED3 - Mazda USA

The only bad thing is the slightly detuned motor and they are making it FWD but I can live with that. The only other car I was considering was a new GTi but VW's are so under powered for my liking. I was going to wait for VW to bring the 300hp R36 but vwvortex says the new R32 will be here next year and the R36 will not hit our shores until the next body style comes out:(:eek:
I was also considering a Legacy again but the one I want will be priced near 30k. 2k more and i'm in an STi and I don't want to spend that much. I've read a few articles (car and driver, edmunds) that say the MazdaSpeed 3 will be priced under 25k.

So what do you guys think? I don't think there are any other cars in it's class (I.E. FWD, Turbo w/ a 6 speed, and priced under 25k) that can compete. Yay or nay?

BTW- I tried to make a poll, How the hell do you do it? lol

there's a poll option in the extended paramters on the bottom of the new topic page. scroll down.

FWD turbo with a 6 speed? i don't think there is another car out there like that. maybe a 2.0t audi a3? but thats well over 30.

good looking car. i'm just scared when it comes to buying a brand new car off the lot. looks fun though.

pissedoffsol said:
there's a poll option in the extended paramters on the bottom of the new topic page. scroll down.

FWD turbo with a 6 speed? i don't think there is another car out there like that. maybe a 2.0t audi a3? but thats well over 30.

When I marked that box to make a poll, I added what would be the poll and clicked preview, but when I did that it showed as a regular thread.

Well the GLi and GTi's are FWD Turbo w/ a 6 Speed as well but with only 200hp, no thanks. The MazdaSpeed 3 is going to cost ~$2000 more but with at least 50 more hp and 75 more ft lbs of torque. As of right now this car is on top of the list.

Don't even consider a volkswagen...

The dealer will rape you on parts. I mean like 3-4 times the cost of a comparable Honda Deaer only part.

I'd just get a mazdaspeed protege. I like the body style much more, I can get one for under 15K, the car is lighter than the 3 by a bit, lots of aftermarket and factory support, and one of the stiffest unibodies ever. Have you ever driven a mazda 3? They are nice, but feel too much like a bathtub, and feel heavy - not wrx heavy, but definitely feel heavier. I would've taken my buddy's protoge5 over the new 3 anyday of the week. I like the sound of direct injection though. The new engine sounds dope. not to mention the 6 speed as well, but you really don't need 6 gears if you have a good, close geared 5 speed.
mazdaspeedprotegefront1.jpg

07mazdaspeed3_1.jpg

Last edited:
i wish i had a 7 speed. 6th gear is worthless at crusiing speeds on the highway. i'm at like 4000 rpms at 80.
should be like 2800 or so...

maybe i'll throw some 20s on the sti... lol

sounds like my civic... weird. as for the speed protege, i drove one when my mother was getting her tribute, they are pretty decent cars. although the srt4 does out handle and will smoke it... whatever mazda>dodge. the interiors are really nice and the sound system in the speed Protege is crazy.

yeah, but your civic also tachs out 2000 rpms higher than my car does..... and doesn't have enough power to move itself at that low rpm. it needs to be higher.

I like it. I think it's a good move for Mazda to bring it out!

Bergy- the new 3 chassis is much better than the last Protege. It may not feel like it from the factory, but it will end up much more responsive with the same types of suspension upgrades. It is after all the latest incarnation of the Protege. ;)

IMHO

This car sux. If you want to buy something to modify/skrew around with then just get a used SRT 4 or something.

fuck all that.
mazdaspeed6

but i do kinda like the look of the 3...

bah rx-8...I have a 7 month old son...rx-8 is pointless right now.

an srt-4, no thank you.

Brian you'd rock the mazdaspeed6? lol that car is in a price range with other cars in a whole other league.

The MazdaSpeed Protege is like the 02-05 Si...a disgrace, i'm sorry. and like Cal said, the MazdaSpeed3 suspension will out shine it when it gets the MazdaSpeed treatment. =)

B16RacerN2NR said:
bah rx-8...I have a 7 month old son...rx-8 is pointless right now.

an srt-4, no thank you.

Brian you'd rock the mazdaspeed6? lol that car is in a price range with other cars in a whole other league.

The MazdaSpeed Protege is like the 02-05 Si...a disgrace, i'm sorry. and like Cal said, the MazdaSpeed3 suspension will out shine it when it gets the MazdaSpeed treatment. =)

guess you need a 240 . . . .

B16RacerN2NR said:

Yea dude. I love the speed6. Turbo I4 6 speed AWD... whyyyyyyyyyyy not?

I could afford one, but I choose not to do so.

Back