1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about streetable camshafts

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> BA-BB /CA-CD' started by tab, Aug 1, 2003.

1. tab

tab Super Moderator

I was just pondering what would be a good all motor streetable cam set. I live four minutes from work, so I don't give a shit about gas mileage all that much. But, I do go stop sign to stop sign a lot, and I'd like more bottom end torque. I still like to spin up the engine on freeway trips. Gimme an earful, even if you talk shit :D
    Torque at lower rpms is my main focus, with overall power in mind.

2. DesertNightEagle

DesertNightEagle Senior Member

well i talk to several people from this speed shop in california before i bought my camshafts and they told me to get something with stock idle lobes, so i bought crower cams stage 2 a. cant tell you how its working just yet cuz my block isnt done from the machine shop.

3. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

Yeah, you'd probably want to stay away from Skunk2, since their cams tend to make more power up high. I don't know much about Crowers. You may also want to look into some custom grinds if you've got a little more money to play with.

Higher compression will also give you more torque throughout the powerband....

4. defajardo

defajardo Junior Member

I would go for the type S cams along w/ the springs. Internally the h22 type in a type is is the same.
    I've seen them on www.passwordjdm.com i think.

:huh:

5. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

Type S cams will not give you a good power gain for the amount of money you'll spend. You're only going to see a few horsepower for a $400-$600 purchase.

6. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

The Skunk2 Stage 1's retain stock idle and give significant gains. I have not seen a comparison with Type S cams, but for the B series the Stage 1 makes significantly more power than 01 spec ITR cams.

7. pythaguras

pythaguras Junior Member

I just put the Skunk2 Stage II's in my whip and I wouldn't suggest getting them if you want strictly bottom end. I did lose a little bottom end after putting them in. However, I dont know of many hondas that make a shitload of power down low. The skunks idle stock and are sick top end... sounds like the vtec pops :eek: Get the stage II's and a portflow valvetrain and youre good to go to bout 8500rpm

8. DesertNightEagle

DesertNightEagle Senior Member

i got some info on my crower cams since i sent my head for porting, they are to aggressive for a turbo due to large overlap, so if you are thinking turbo dont go with crowercams stage 2 a

9. miikail

miikail Junior Member

Crane, JUN, Skunk2 all make decent cams but you'll need to upgrade the valvetrain as well. I've seen Crower CAMs destroy a few engines and their retainers rip a GSR head to shreads so I say away from their cams & valvetrain.

10. tab

tab Super Moderator

Good Advice, thanks everyone.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted