Thinking about streetable camshafts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tab

Super Moderator
I was just pondering what would be a good all motor streetable cam set. I live four minutes from work, so I don't give a shit about gas mileage all that much. But, I do go stop sign to stop sign a lot, and I'd like more bottom end torque. I still like to spin up the engine on freeway trips. Gimme an earful, even if you talk shit :D
Torque at lower rpms is my main focus, with overall power in mind.

well i talk to several people from this speed shop in california before i bought my camshafts and they told me to get something with stock idle lobes, so i bought crower cams stage 2 a. cant tell you how its working just yet cuz my block isnt done from the machine shop.

Yeah, you'd probably want to stay away from Skunk2, since their cams tend to make more power up high. I don't know much about Crowers. You may also want to look into some custom grinds if you've got a little more money to play with.

Higher compression will also give you more torque throughout the powerband....

I would go for the type S cams along w/ the springs. Internally the h22 type in a type is is the same.
I've seen them on www.passwordjdm.com i think.

:huh:

Type S cams will not give you a good power gain for the amount of money you'll spend. You're only going to see a few horsepower for a $400-$600 purchase.

The Skunk2 Stage 1's retain stock idle and give significant gains. I have not seen a comparison with Type S cams, but for the B series the Stage 1 makes significantly more power than 01 spec ITR cams.

I just put the Skunk2 Stage II's in my whip and I wouldn't suggest getting them if you want strictly bottom end. I did lose a little bottom end after putting them in. However, I dont know of many hondas that make a shitload of power down low. The skunks idle stock and are sick top end... sounds like the vtec pops :eek: Get the stage II's and a portflow valvetrain and youre good to go to bout 8500rpm

i got some info on my crower cams since i sent my head for porting, they are to aggressive for a turbo due to large overlap, so if you are thinking turbo dont go with crowercams stage 2 a

Crane, JUN, Skunk2 all make decent cams but you'll need to upgrade the valvetrain as well. I've seen Crower CAMs destroy a few engines and their retainers rip a GSR head to shreads so I say away from their cams & valvetrain.

Back