thinking about trading down...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Why not just do what I do to every single turbo rental car I've ever had:

Take razor blade/hobby knife and cut a 3mm gash in the wastegate actuator's boost-line. Presto, more boost.

Alternatively, push pins work well too if you can't find a hobby-knife. But somehow I think B has a lot of razor blades lying around. :p Because he is just THAT emo.

Not to bump an old thread, but I don't want to start my own, how does B like his new Hyundai? I may have missed posts of his but I haven't heard much about how much he likes it now that he has had it for over a year.

3670 on it now.

i don't drive anywhere for work and it doesn't leave the garage basically at all from dec through march, so those are basically all pure pleasure miles.

I like the car. It has some quirks, but what car doesn't?

It needs a re-flash as the top end is dead from the factory(available, i'm just poor) to open up the top end ($699, + 40 hp/+ 60 tq) and it runs rich as hell (10:1 and some have seen in the 9's!). Most have picked up 5-7 mpg along side the re-program. it's totally worth it, I just haven't had the means to do it yet.

needs a bit of camber tweak on the front (available as factory order part, or obvious upgrade to coilovers with camber top hats). Has some mild understeer, mostly at higher speeds because of this. It just doesn't bite correctly. This is typical of all macphearson set ups though.

I hate the oem tires. re050a's. will be putting something better on when these are worn a bit more. hard to just throw out 19" tires the way they cost...

I wish there was a bit more head room. I hear the non-sunroof models have more room. I cant sit in 'race' position with a helmet on. I will have to lounge more than I prefer for real driving (street position)

I love the factory infinity sound system. plenty of bass for my metal. isn't the best for rap/etc, but who cares, i'm white.

brakes are great. They are the largest non supercar brakes on the road. 30m bigger that the sti/3770z/evo/etc with the better calipers too. The pads aren't the best, but those are easily replaced (seriously, the hardest part is taking off the wheel to gain access) by hawk/etc for under $100 for all 4 corners. I'll likely do the pads when i do the new tires as well.

the lsd isn't perfect, but it works. If i were tracking the car, i'd replace it with a kazz (available), but on the street/mucking around, it's fine and works good.

the tranny is a bit crunchy when its cold. some guys have done a fluid change and cured this. I may attempt it in the spring.

clutch is pretty dead, and it has a 57 something odd pound dual mass flywheel. a full clutch kit goes for 1400 -2000 + bucks and up for the car, so i'm holding off until i actually need one, but it needs to go.

a few guys are making mid 400's and a couple on 500 on built blocks. 300 ish is said to be the stock limit (similar with honda motors). The rods are the weak link it seems.

I'm not planning to do anything crazy... hell, nor mild, for that matter for a long time. I want the reflash for 2011, and thats about it. Maybe the camber bolts too (only $60 or so from the dealer). I don't have the means to dump a lot of money on toys right now or the forseeable future.

3670 on it now.

i don't drive anywhere for work and it doesn't leave the garage basically at all from dec through march, so those are basically all pure pleasure miles.

I like the car. It has some quirks, but what car doesn't?

It needs a re-flash as the top end is dead from the factory(available, i'm just poor) to open up the top end ($699, + 40 hp/+ 60 tq) and it runs rich as hell (10:1 and some have seen in the 9's!). Most have picked up 5-7 mpg along side the re-program. it's totally worth it, I just haven't had the means to do it yet.

needs a bit of camber tweak on the front (available as factory order part, or obvious upgrade to coilovers with camber top hats). Has some mild understeer, mostly at higher speeds because of this. It just doesn't bite correctly. This is typical of all macphearson set ups though.

I hate the oem tires. re050a's. will be putting something better on when these are worn a bit more. hard to just throw out 19" tires the way they cost...

I wish there was a bit more head room. I hear the non-sunroof models have more room. I cant sit in 'race' position with a helmet on. I will have to lounge more than I prefer for real driving (street position)

I love the factory infinity sound system. plenty of bass for my metal. isn't the best for rap/etc, but who cares, i'm white.

brakes are great. They are the largest non supercar brakes on the road. 30m bigger that the sti/3770z/evo/etc with the better calipers too. The pads aren't the best, but those are easily replaced (seriously, the hardest part is taking off the wheel to gain access) by hawk/etc for under $100 for all 4 corners. I'll likely do the pads when i do the new tires as well.

the lsd isn't perfect, but it works. If i were tracking the car, i'd replace it with a kazz (available), but on the street/mucking around, it's fine and works good.

the tranny is a bit crunchy when its cold. some guys have done a fluid change and cured this. I may attempt it in the spring.

clutch is pretty dead, and it has a 57 something odd pound dual mass flywheel. a full clutch kit goes for 1400 -2000 + bucks and up for the car, so i'm holding off until i actually need one, but it needs to go.

a few guys are making mid 400's and a couple on 500 on built blocks. 300 ish is said to be the stock limit (similar with honda motors). The rods are the weak link it seems.

I'm not planning to do anything crazy... hell, nor mild, for that matter for a long time. I want the reflash for 2011, and thats about it. Maybe the camber bolts too (only $60 or so from the dealer). I don't have the means to dump a lot of money on toys right now or the forseeable future.

I had a Kaaz 2 way on my 240 and it was awesome. The 30ish minute recommended break in & fluid change suck, but afterwords you have a bulletproof diff. For your transmission fluid changeover, go with GM synchromesh “friction modified”. It was developed to make up for sloppy, cost impaired, unionized automobile manufacturing :).

Back