thinking about trading down...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

3. You own a very nice, sensible, clean BMW that I hope by this point is paid for. There is your ticket right there. Its a very nice capable car. It doesn't scream "I'm a cheap bastard". It says "I have taste, and although it isn't new, I take very good care of it and am wise with my money".

No, his BMW screams "I'm too cheap to buy a luxury car, BUT I DRIVE A BMW ANYWAY!!!!!!1!"

His Ti is the exact car that the young, stupid, and did I mention uneducated soldiers would buy as soon as they got to Germany, because their dream was to "own a BMW."

Plain and simple, it's a beater.

i say get the Hyundai Genesis. those cars are badass and with the warranty, its well worth it.

i can also attest to Mazda's being crap. my 2004 Mazda3 S took a shit. i blew a bearing on the crank. i got it somewhat fixed and traded it in and bought a 2009 Ford Focus SE. i didnt buy it for speed or fixing it or any of that. i bought it because its economical, has alot of the options i wanted (minus spoiler and sunroof), its brand new WITH warranty and Ford is the only American car company i trust. anyways, good luck in your new car shopping adventure!! be preparred to sign ALOT of papers...lol

I test drove the Genesis both 2.0 turbo and V6. They both performed great all the way around. Just get into the car with a clean slate. Meaning forget all about the M when going there to test drive it. Matter a fact don't take the m there drive the ti.

Nothing wrong with hyundai, they make damn good cars now. They're no different then honda back in the late 70s early 80s, no one gave a damn about them and thought of them as throw away cars. look at the late 80s and on.....

:werd:

I've said for nearly a decade that Hyundai is the next Honda, and they've been following that progression ever since... They're at about the point Honda was in 1984... Darn good cars but public opinion hadn't quite caught on to it yet (although no Hyundai is as good as the 84-87 civic/crx of course! (got to put that in there... my car could be reading this :ph34r:))

10yr/100,000 mile drivetrain warranty, the 'make your payments for x months'/'return it with no credit hit' things, and the savings every month = win.

Last edited:
I really like the Genisis Coupe allot......i'm assuming your going for the 2.0t Track model?

not that you prolly would ever consider it...but Kia is coming out with the Forte Koup..i think its a tight looking car with a 2.4L 4cyl 173hp 168lb/tq 6spd manaul front wheel drive...Sorta a Scion TC/Chevy Cobalt competitor but i definately think its nicer looking

Kia Cars, SUV, Minivans, & Future Vehicles - Kia Motors America

And yes i NEED AWD. My jobs are 30-40 miles away each way and my hill to my condo is about 65 degrees steep...the Jetta GLI 2.0T with snows could not make it up the hill ..lots of cars end up at teh bottom of the hill and they get rides up by the Condo Assoc truck....

Last edited:
Buy the Hyundai. I like the Genesis coupe in the limerock green but you have to buy the top model to get that color. That sucks. Friend of mine test drove it and he liked it. Best part is, no matter what brand it is or color or anything, 10yr/ 1 billion mile warranty, you don't have to put a wrench on it for years.

rwd with a REAL lsd = win. Also b, i agree that the 2.0 turbo motor is the best choice.

. . . I bet this genesis is fun to drive :)

Last edited:
i just read your first post, and am now typing this, so if its been said, sorry...

mazdaspeed 3 or mazdaspeed 6 :) the speed 6 is awd

they don't make the speed 6 anymore. and i'm not buying a mazda 4-cyl. they all blow up at 80k.

I really like the Genisis Coupe allot......i'm assuming
And yes i NEED AWD. My jobs are 30-40 miles away each way and my hill to my condo is about 65 degrees steep..

Are you kidding me? You mean like 15 degree grade.

99% of trucks won't make it up a 45degree grade, 75% won't make it up a 30 degree grade in 4 wheels.

I'd definetly take a Genesis. But everyone here knows I'd take a Camaro over it any day. I think they have comparable warranties at least when it comes to year/mileages. GM 5/100K, Hyundai 10/100K because who only puts 10K miles on their DD car a year? And the BASE Camaro comes with 304HP AND 29mpg (100 more HP and 1 less mpg.)

If the Posi isnt standard I'm sure theres an option (I cant build one on the work PC for some reason) and it comes with a 6 speed auto with paddles or a traditional manual.

Styling wise I like them both where the Camaro is more the bulky/muscle look (though no where near as bad as the Challenger) while the Genesis is more sleek and sporty. I have gripes on both.

And a little bit back someone said the new Camaro had a live axle rear end. They where simply wrong as it is a true four wheel independant suspension.

IDK, thats my take as biased as it is. I'd still like to drive the two one after another to get a true feel for them. If the Genesis truly felt like a better car, given the choice, its close enough for me to bite the bullet and take one.

Aww who am I kidding, give me the Camaro!!!:D

Just get into the car with a clean slate. Meaning forget all about the M when going there to test drive it. Matter a fact don't take the m there drive the ti.

Hell, I'd take the Dakota

B in a Camaro, I'd love to see that!

At least in 5 years the Gen will be worth 60% its MSRP while the 6cly camaro will be worth like 20%

If you're going to do a camaro at least do the full blown top model, at least you'd have a chance at keeping some long term value.

As theyre both new models I think that remains to be seen. Though as of now it seems pretty sound. There are a lot of people who want a Camaro now that cant buy one. In five years a used base model may be a sought after option. And also maybe in five years we could find out the New Hyundai is the same piece of shit as the old Hyundai. Only time will tell.

And I'm not saying buy the base model only I was just trying to keep it within price and mpg of the 2.0. And the fact that you still get 300HP+ and near linear mpg was just an added bonus.

B in a Camaro would be funny to see.

I hate to say it but maybe even the kids seeing Transformers now will want one then and itll just be within reach of roping the parents into buying one lol.

Last edited:
Hyundai=Future Win. Honda screwed up, Toyota ceased production of the true MR2, Nissan has no 240 replacement (yet), Mazda RX8 sucks arse, well I say go Hyundai. It truly is the best option.

As theyre both new models I think that remains to be seen.

Doesn't matter, Camaro is an American car, outside of hot rods, there's zero chance of it holding its value. Doesn't matter of its not a base model, the fact that it has the bottom of the chain motor = super cool soccer mom car. down the road when someone who wants a camaro that cant afford one now, they're going to buy a V8 model.

Look at the CTS, it is a great car, dirt cheap on the used market, look at the going rate of a 5 year old Z06.....

The odds of the Korean car holding its value better at this point is pretty much guaranteed.

take some pictures of the car. i know there are plenty online, but if you keep looking at it after you leave, it will help you decide.

Back