Thinking of going Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brc80

Well i rode in my buddys turbo miata last night, and for a junk yard set up it was pretty quick.

So it got me thinking about boosting my car. My set up is a 90 integra with a b16. (i know i have a teg with a b16) When i say budget im thinking somewhere around $2000. My question is, if i wanted to start gathering parts for my budget turbo project, what would you guys use? Power goals are somewhere just north of the 200hp mark. Main think im looking for is mid range and a quick spool because we all know the b16 has no low end at all.

Thanks for the help.

For your requirements, I'd use the following...

Thunderbird Turbocoupe turbo, T25, 14G, or a 42/48 T3 for the turbo.

SMIC from a DSM or an IC from a Probe GT/ MX-6 GT for the intercooler.

Simple log manifold.

Simple downpipe.

Charge pipes that are the same ID as the compressor outlet. I had 1.75" ID charge pipes on my '93 Si hatch and was making over 200 HP on the stock engine, for reference. Small charge pipes = quick spool.

Fuel management can be an FMU because your power goal is low.

Bump your ignition back 2-4° and you'll be fine.

Use plugs that are two steps colder than stock.

Contrary to popular belief, you CAN use high pressure fuel injection hose for the oil feed line, providing you use 360° fuel injection hose clamps. I used this in my hatch and had no leaking issues in the ~20,000 miles I drove it. It weeped some, but the weepage was equivalent to about one drop every 3000 miles. I did my oil feed and return lines for $20 using those materials.

Gauges are good- boost, oil pressure, AFG will set you right.

Most important tool you'll ever have: Your ears. Pay attention to ping/ knock/ detonation.

If you're a cheap bastard about it and Ebay everything, you could have it done for under a grand.

shelby turbo daytona's have nice FMICs. i think i am going to use one of those when i do my project.

any of the turbo's loco posted will be good for exactly whaat you want. try to find a good turbo that is internally gated. if you do any of them should be gated down to the power your stock block can handle.

Yeah i hope i can run low boost on stock internals.

Hey loco I was plannin on running the AFC hack but my goals were similar with his, So I will be cool with an FMU if im going around 200 horses or so? I wouldn't need 450's would I ?

Not to threadjack, but would that setup and those turbos be good for a '90 B18a in a 88 CRX? Thanks

*any* turbo is good. But good, is a personal preference or opinion.

Me, I think they are tiny and a waste of time for the hassel/gain.
others, just want 50 more hp, and a tiny setup is perfect.

with an FMU, you use your stock injectors for the most part. in some rare cases, upgrading to 310s would be pretty much the most. Otherwise, you will flood to holy hell at idle, and generally, run way too rich.

Back