1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of upgrading my phone, opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by SlushboxTeggy, Sep 30, 2013.

1. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

First off, my plan is with Virgin Mobile. I love the price, service, and find the customer service more helpful than any that I have dealt with, even if they have an accent. I reccommend VM to everyone.

So currently I have the HTC Wildfire S. HTC Wildfire S (CDMA) Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

Out of the box this phone sucked. Too much bloat on it. Well rather than just replace it, I decided to try to root it and delete what I didn't need. Success. That was awhile ago at this point. The only reason I'm even thinking od replacing it is because I'm running into issues with a lack of memory. Now, I was entertaining flashing a custom ROM, but IDK if I even want to deal with that. Only reason I thought about it is because I'm grandfathered into a $25 a month plan. If I upgrade, I lose the grandfathered price.

So I was not busy at work and was looking at new phones on VM's website. I think I have 2 options.

Virgin Mobile Awe Unlimited Prepaid Awe - No Contract Unlimited Awe Plans | Virgin Mobile

Looks like a good phone. I don't need a Galaxy, I just want to upgrade to something a little better. Reviews seem good, price is certaintly right.

LG Optimus F3 LG Optimus F3. Get a no contract plan with unlimited data and messaging. |Virgin Mobile USA

Looks like one of the best phones on the site without making the jump to a Galaxy. Cost is a little more but still not bad.

So basically I think I have 3 options. Reflash the current or try one of these phones on for size. The specs are certainly better on the newer ones, but I really don't think my current phone is slow, just a little lacking in memory. Opinions as well as options not listed are more than welcome.

2. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

LG... has 4g. obvious choice.

3. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

wildfire doesn't have enough storage to do anything... I wouldn't bother flashing it.

had one, ditched it.

I got sick of not having service anywhere. sprint blows. went to at&t.

4. corvetteguy78

corvetteguy78 Well-Known Member VIP

What are you looking to do on a new phone that you can't do on this one? 4G is definintely worth the upgrade if you don't already have it. SGSIII would be a nice upgrade from what you have but no way in fucking hell would i pay $340 for a old ass phone like that.

you should be able to get an SIII on CL or Ebay for $150 or less and have it flashed to work with Virgin.

That would be your best bet

i don't think rooting your phone really makes sense.

5. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

I have a rooted (cyanogenmod) SII and it blows away my stock sIII that I had that lots its screen somehow in my pocket... after 2 months.

they don't make 'em like they used to... lol

6. SlushboxTeggy

Phone is already rooted. The hard part is done. Flashing a ROM is no big deal. Think I'll give it a shot Friday. If I brick it, or I just don't like it, I'll go about replacing it. Most likely with the LG.

7. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

iPhone 5. Everyone talks crap. But it does everything I want it to do and more. No complaints. (Other than it sucks at making phone calls, go figure)

8. SlushboxTeggy

I'll never support Apple.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted