Thinking of upgrading my phone, opinions wanted

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
First off, my plan is with Virgin Mobile. I love the price, service, and find the customer service more helpful than any that I have dealt with, even if they have an accent. I reccommend VM to everyone.

So currently I have the HTC Wildfire S. HTC Wildfire S (CDMA) Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

Out of the box this phone sucked. Too much bloat on it. Well rather than just replace it, I decided to try to root it and delete what I didn't need. Success. That was awhile ago at this point. The only reason I'm even thinking od replacing it is because I'm running into issues with a lack of memory. Now, I was entertaining flashing a custom ROM, but IDK if I even want to deal with that. Only reason I thought about it is because I'm grandfathered into a $25 a month plan. If I upgrade, I lose the grandfathered price.

So I was not busy at work and was looking at new phones on VM's website. I think I have 2 options.

Virgin Mobile Awe Unlimited Prepaid Awe - No Contract Unlimited Awe Plans | Virgin Mobile

Looks like a good phone. I don't need a Galaxy, I just want to upgrade to something a little better. Reviews seem good, price is certaintly right.

LG Optimus F3 LG Optimus F3. Get a no contract plan with unlimited data and messaging. |Virgin Mobile USA

Looks like one of the best phones on the site without making the jump to a Galaxy. Cost is a little more but still not bad.

So basically I think I have 3 options. Reflash the current or try one of these phones on for size. The specs are certainly better on the newer ones, but I really don't think my current phone is slow, just a little lacking in memory. Opinions as well as options not listed are more than welcome.

wildfire doesn't have enough storage to do anything... I wouldn't bother flashing it.

had one, ditched it.

I got sick of not having service anywhere. sprint blows. went to at&t.

What are you looking to do on a new phone that you can't do on this one? 4G is definintely worth the upgrade if you don't already have it. SGSIII would be a nice upgrade from what you have but no way in fucking hell would i pay $340 for a old ass phone like that.

you should be able to get an SIII on CL or Ebay for $150 or less and have it flashed to work with Virgin.

That would be your best bet

i don't think rooting your phone really makes sense.

I have a rooted (cyanogenmod) SII and it blows away my stock sIII that I had that lots its screen somehow in my pocket... after 2 months.

they don't make 'em like they used to... lol

What are you looking to do on a new phone that you can't do on this one? 4G is definintely worth the upgrade if you don't already have it. SGSIII would be a nice upgrade from what you have but no way in fucking hell would i pay $340 for a old ass phone like that.

you should be able to get an SIII on CL or Ebay for $150 or less and have it flashed to work with Virgin.

That would be your best bet

i don't think rooting your phone really makes sense.
Phone is already rooted. The hard part is done. Flashing a ROM is no big deal. Think I'll give it a shot Friday. If I brick it, or I just don't like it, I'll go about replacing it. Most likely with the LG.

iPhone 5. Everyone talks crap. But it does everything I want it to do and more. No complaints. (Other than it sucks at making phone calls, go figure)

Back