thinking turbo... but should I??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a jap gsr motor and I'm thinking about going turbo. The thing is the compression ratio is 10.6 and that scares me. If I rip the block to change pistons I know I won't just stop there. I'll want rods, sleeves, cams and everything else I can think of to make this a decade long project, and I don't want to do this just yet.
So I was thinking about just getting a kit and running low boost levels for now. I was thinking about something along the lines of 6psi with 94 and 10psi at the track with 104 octane. Do you guys think this is do-able? I already have a haltech and a buddy that works the dyno. The fuel system is already upgraded. The turbo would be a 46 trim t3/t4 with a .48 AR. What do you guys think?

Turbo's too small.

SC61 or nothing, bud. Seriously.

You could SAFELY make 300 at the wheels at 6-8 psi on that turbo and you'd have a hardon every day you drove the damn thing with that kind of power.

Seriously.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Aug 31 2004, 05:08 AM
Turbo's too small.

SC61 or nothing, bud. Seriously.

You could SAFELY make 300 at the wheels at 6-8 psi on that turbo and you'd have a hardon every day you drove the damn thing with that kind of power.

Seriously.
[post=384152]Quoted post[/post]​

yea cus putting a turbo capable of 600 whp on a car to make less than 300 is the best way to manage lag. right. if you dont mind not having the turbo spool until like 3rd gear a sc 61 is great. otherwise, a properly sized turbo will offer almost as much peak power with a far fatter powerband.

Well i agree with you guys but a turbo that is to big does make like daily driving not so much fun right? I mean from what i thought i understood there is such turbo lag that cant just be underminded by a higher launch and shift point or something correct? I have never driven a turbo car but from alot of well put together games and my own personal opinions based on reading and watching i have what i think is a decent experience of what a turbo car may act like. At lower RPM with a big turbo vs a more "suited to the situation" type turbo IE one not so big wouldint the powerband suffer at lower rpm with the turbo not spooled all the way? If i am wrong in saying so please dont flame just maybe readjust how i am thinking. I have what i thought was a good perception of how a turbocharged car would act on the road as far as the feel of the engine gos. I realise its nothing till you drive it but still......

turbo too small??? I sized this turbo and it seems to be right in the island efficiency ranges from 3500-9000 rpm. It will max out boost all the way up to 28psi. I sized other turbo compressors like the 50 and 57 trim to4e's and they seem to be right on the surge line or way off the islands. I haven't heard of an sc61, but it sounds a little too big. I'm looking for as little lag as possible and around 300-400hp for now.

Alright! I get to use the smilies!

Which one to pick.....

:beat:

I like that one...

Okay. 1st off, what makes a big turbo bad for daily driving? Is it the stock-ish cruise conditions and smooth accelerations? If you want to have fun with the car, you will tip-in. When you tip-in, the turbine wakes up and a whole lot of fun shoves you in your seat. I've driven a car with a terribly undersized turbo. Part throttle boost makes driveability suck. You'll look like a high-schooler on his 1st day of driver's ed when just trying to navigate a parking lot. Don't embarass yourself in front of your friends and buy the right sized turbo.

I'm just speaking with the voice of experience. If you don't want the suggestions of someone who has been down the road you are travelling now, then just listed to the guy saying "Just buy a t3!"

It most certainly won't be me.

And about efficiency and all that BS up to 28psi, let me pose this question:

HOW OFTEN DO YOU PLAN TO PUSH 28 PSI THROUGH YOUR MOTOR?

You don't. EVER. All that does is stress parts. It stresses the turbo's bearings, it stresses the engine itself, and it usually superheats the intake charge, and just causes headaches. You'll run 7-12 PSI all day every day, though, and a turbocharged motor with a slightly too big turbo REALLY starts to get fun and efficient at about 15 PSI, or 1 bar.

An SC61 is the most efficient, large daily driver turbo I'd choose for any B series engine. Hell, I plan on putting one on my 3.5L I-5 in my truck one day. It's got some of the newest technology built into the turbine wheel for fast spool and great top end power.

Trust me, I know what I'm preaching about here.

ok you guys got my ears open. I did a quick search and it looks like precision turbos makes this turbo. I can't really find out anything else. Any information on this thing would be helpful...

Back