This is a load of crap....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

"snowcrash" is a book all about a dude and the art of delivering pizza. that said, i'm curious if there are any rules against being self employed? incorporate, yo. find something you don't mind doing - yardwork? pool care? lay carpet (the flat kind)? anydamnthing. be a personal shopper. something. tell the popo no one will hire your ass so you're working for yourself. show them you can be legit and that when the system won't take you, you'll take care of yourself.

you'd be surprised what $35 (pay to the state to create your business), a stack of fliers, a pair of gloves, a rake and a shovel can do. charge $20 an hour, and go improve some property for some fat lazy americans.

You're entitled to your opinion.

You also are not taking into account that I'm 20 and have every intention of going to school..... but I need to be able to pay for my expenses as it goes.

It's great and all that 90% (or whatever the figure is) of Americans can go without having that black mark on there jacket, but I'm not one of them. So I am facing reality and I have to take it for what it is. Your negativity is useless, cause I have to make it positive one way or another.

Even being a convicted felon and being within that XX% of society who have black marks on their jacket, I've been able to land $14/hr+ jobs numerous times. Keeping them, well that's another story, regardless of the reasoning, it means I'm still worth more than minimum wage.

The people without black marks on their record who can't obtain minimum wage jobs have poor communication skills or lack the resources.

You're not an easy person to converse with and you're very arrogant so I'm just gonna end our convo right here with letting you know I WILL prevail in my job search as well as life.

Yes, I'm arrogant because I think things through. If you have thought of any of the issues I have brought forth to you, I would be very surprised considering the stance you've taken.

Have you thought of the implications of a job search when the country is nearing recession like symptoms and feeling the tightening of a credit crisis?

...or are you just going to say, "Yeah, I've had jobs that paid better in the past, so clearly I'm just going to keep climbing up the ladder despite my criminal history and the current state of economics."

Should a company care that you cannot afford college at this point and should they take a chance on you because now you realized you fucked up ALL OF YOUR LIFE and suddenly say you're ready to earn a higher education?

You'll be in and out of jail, just as I've been saying for the past five years. You're a schemer that gets burned in the end.

Also you can piss off in regards to your negativity comment. Once you realize that its a good, healthy dose of realism and not negativity you'll begin to turn your "luck" around.

You have such poor "luck" as a result of your ignorance. You refuse to accept that you are the cause of many of the events in your life. Researchers should conduct studies on your internal locus of control to answer questions about behavior and denial.

right, I'm not saying what you have to say is entirely wrong and I hear ya, am I taking it for what it's worth...no.

...or are you just going to say, "Yeah, I've had jobs that paid better in the past, so clearly I'm just going to keep climbing up the ladder despite my criminal history and the current state of economics."

That's exactly what I''m going to say and do and that's what's going to happen.

If you want to make ok money, work construction or go get buried in a factory. Other than that ,good luck. Retail and service industry jobs pay minimum wage or slightly better to people with degrees and experience so you are most likely SOL. I am an MBA student and AutoZone will only throw me $7.

Yea, I got a job at a restaurant, go in for "training" on Wednesday and to talk out some details,. $10/hr, I'll stick with it for a little while but I'm definitely gonna keep searching, I'm not too keen on serving food, but I think the position is banquet coordinator or something like that.

Yea, I got a job at a restaurant, go in for "training" on Wednesday and to talk out some details,. $10/hr, I'll stick with it for a little while but I'm definitely gonna keep searching, I'm not too keen on serving food, but I think the position is banquet coordinator or something like that.
You should be happy as fuck if you got a restaurant job for anything more than min wage. Most restaurants pay min wage for servers unless you are doing some kind of fine dining or something. Good job though, atleast you got something. food service jobs like that can be really good if you are committed to getting in school since they usually have semi flexible schedules.

If you want to make ok money, work construction or go get buried in a factory. Other than that ,good luck. Retail and service industry jobs pay minimum wage or slightly better to people with degrees and experience so you are most likely SOL. I am an MBA student and AutoZone will only throw me $7.
If you are an MBA student, then why the hell are you looking for a job at autozone. go apply for a job in your field. Taking out the trash or being a coffe bitch at some company in your field is better than autozone. You're gonna have to pay your dues when you eventually get out of school, might as well start now while you are a student.

If you are an MBA student, then why the hell are you looking for a job at autozone. go apply for a job in your field. Taking out the trash or being a coffe bitch at some company in your field is better than autozone. You're gonna have to pay your dues when you eventually get out of school, might as well start now while you are a student.

We call those "internships".

Some internships aren't paid, depending on the field but some fields, such as accounting, are paid between $20-$35/hr. He might be in a situation where he needs to pay the bills and couldn't find a paid internship.

Even then, as long as you have loans to cover your expenses for the time being, I would be gaining experience and resume boosters in the field. The experience will pay dividends in the future when it comes to job offers.

We call those "internships".

Some internships aren't paid, depending on the field but some fields, such as accounting, are paid between $20-$35/hr. He might be in a situation where he needs to pay the bills and couldn't find a paid internship.

Even then, as long as you have loans to cover your expenses for the time being, I would be gaining experience and resume boosters in the field. The experience will pay dividends in the future when it comes to job offers.
Yea I know what they are called. I'm working full time, on top of school, as a drafter. Having this job right now is going to make me a shit load more valuable than many of my peers who are just putting all of their stuff on loans and not working at all. We do high end residential here, like 5-15 million dollar homes, which has always been what I've been interested in, so it's definitely going to pay off.

I had to work for a long time in a shit job in a restaurant while looking for a job in the arch field, so I know what its like too. it's hard, and discouraging when you keep getting turned down for intern jobs, but when you keep looking while everyone else is giving up is when you end up landing the job.

unpaid internships are bullshit. I would never take one no matter who it was for. I said you are gonna have to pay your dues, like everyone, but theres no way in hell anyone should have to work for free. That's just a shitty company taking advantage of you. Luckily, in the architecture field, there are hardly any unpaid internships though many are well under what the time is worth. In other design fields though, like interior design, thats all there is is unpaid ones.

Last edited:

Because I don't need much money, they are very flexible with scheduling, and the job requirements are minimal, it is ideal. I worked a lot during undergrad and subsequently, took almost nothing from the experience other than the degree. I have now dedicated myself to learning as much as possible. To do this, I need minimal distractions because of the graduate workload. I could commute to Pittsburgh and work a serious full time job but I would be perpetually burned out, my school work would suffer, and I would have no life. I have done extensive cost-benefit analyses behind the Parliament smoke and I have determined that I derive the largest net personal gain by working part time retail. This is taking into account monetary, academic, social, mental, and physical/health costs. I will stay at AutoZone for almost two years so I have something solid on my resume instead of a handful of spotty little jobs. Consistency is a plus, but then again, so is an MBA!

Because I don't need much money, they are very flexible with scheduling, and the job requirements are minimal, it is ideal. I worked a lot during undergrad and subsequently, took almost nothing from the experience other than the degree. I have now dedicated myself to learning as much as possible. To do this, I need minimal distractions because of the graduate workload. I could commute to Pittsburgh and work a serious full time job but I would be perpetually burned out, my school work would suffer, and I would have no life. I have done extensive cost-benefit analyses behind the Parliament smoke and I have determined that I derive the largest net personal gain by working part time retail. This is taking into account monetary, academic, social, mental, and physical/health costs. I will stay at AutoZone for almost two years so I have something solid on my resume instead of a handful of spotty little jobs. Consistency is a plus, but then again, so is an MBA!
Well, that makes perfect sense. Good to see that it is a well thought out decision.

Also, as you progress up in education, you will find that work experience, although still valuable, isn't as big of a deal as it would be if you were to stop at the undergrad level. In that case, you need as much as you can get to distinguish you from the sea of bachelor's toting job seekers.

Also, as you progress up in education, you will find that work experience, although still valuable, isn't as big of a deal as it would be if you were to stop at the undergrad level. In that case, you need as much as you can get to distinguish you from the sea of bachelor's toting job seekers.
i can agree with this. if you have a bachelors, you need more work experience. with a graduates degree, you still need experience, but not as much. on the other side though, if you have more work experience to go along with your degree, you will be in the upper echelon of pay.

i can't agree with you that working at autozone is going to look good on your resume compared to work or an internship in a related field.

what is your ba/mba degree in?

i can agree with this. if you have a bachelors, you need more work experience. with a graduates degree, you still need experience, but not as much. on the other side though, if you have more work experience to go along with your degree, you will be in the upper echelon of pay.

i can't agree with you that working at autozone is going to look good on your resume compared to work or an internship in a related field.

what is your ba/mba degree in?

I have BS in Business Administrations and am working on my MBA (masters in business administrations). And you are right. Autozone won't look "good" compared to relevant work experience or an internship. As was mentioned earlier though, two years at Autozone will demonstrate the same persistence and ability to follow through as a degree. This is among the top things that employers will look for. Most corporate recruiters will hire someone with a bachelor's degree and 4 years at a bakery before they hire someone with the same degree and several six months stints at financial brokerage firms...I am inclined to disagree with this mindset to an extent. Stating my reasons will make this post more long-winded than anyone would care to read. There are good reasons to hire both applicants. Unfortunately, the majority of HR and recruiting professionals would prefer the former...

Last edited:
Back