This is how a tire should wear.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I didn't quite get that far, but I definitely put some serious side wear on my GSXR before I bought it new shoes.

I hit one road called chuckanut drive, which goes along the ocean on a cliff, and is super windy, on a daily basis. It was the reason I bought my bike, and will be the reason I buy my next one.

Nice, Chuckanut is an awesome road. I try to hit it at least once a week in my rex. What is your average speed through the south end of the twisties?

You can dump thousands into a harley and it still won't touch a 600cc sports bike. And it'll still handle like shit. "Screaming eagle" is a fucking joke. Parts for hundreds of dollars that add a couple of horsepower to a piece of shit rattly shit handling motorcycle. Harley is a brand name. Nothing more.

I owned a brand new sportster custom. It was the biggest piece of shit bike I ever owned. Below the '81 yamaha 650 special that was falling apart. At least the fucking thing started when I wanted it to.

lol at Vrod power,

Chances are if the Vrod pulled the front wheel off the ground, it means the weight distribution is totally out of wack. Those things are very heavy and make very little power based on the CCs. 600cc sport bikes make more hp and weigh a few HUNDRED pounds less, yet, 2nd gear wont pull up on the 600s unless you close the throttle and wack it back open at a very high RPM.

I do think the Vrod is a good looking bike, I'd even go as far to say I'd own one if I could get one cheap enough. But, power/weight? the vrod is nothing but over hyped.

id love a new cbr, but the sportster is free, and its got a lot of power behind it, im not sure what all is done to it, but I know its not power to the max, but it gets the job done. I don't give a shit about harley. I just like the bike. the new shit I wouldn't even touch. Id buy a vstar or whatever the honda cruiser is over a new 88. Id like a shovel if it wasn't so damn unreliable/needy/havetorebuildthetopendeveryyear-ey. there are a few harley riders who don't give a damn about the machine they're on, as long as it goes.

just throwing it out there again but when it comes to the VRSC I like it for the looks. And also throwing it out there my 600 pulls the front through third. at least when my lighter cousin was on it. And it surprised the shit out of both of us.

Is he leaning back taking the bike up to 10K rpm cutting the throttle and wacking the throttle open? Im 160lbs and when riding a bike the way you should when doing a full throttle run on a 600 the front end will pull up a bit in 1st and in 2rd and 3rd it might feel light, but it wont pull up where you need to worry about anything.

With my 600SS I could easily pop the front up in 2nd gear, but it wasnt something the bike would do under normal riding. I had to lean back and force it up. or use the clutch to pop it up.

I've been riding on the street for 8 years now, been on a lot of super sports, the 600s after 100mph they just start to lose steam, I've never had the front come up in 3rd gear more then light steering.

Just like with the vrod, unless hes using the clutch or wacking the throttle open to get it up... something seems weird.

Last edited:
Nope. He was just taking it for a quick spin when I took it down to Dayton to let him see it. It was under hard acceleration of course while shifting at about 10k so just before the low end of the powerband but he wasnt pulling back on it. It was in front of me on the street so I know for a fact the wheel was off the ground. Not full on wheelie but a good few inches. Still surprised us both.

Maybe he dumped two NOS energy drinks in the tank when you weren't looking lol. A friend of mine has your exact bike weighin in at 120lbs and he can't do that without a yut ugh or lettin' off the throttle and punching it(Just as Jeff said).

Jeffie explained my 600 perfectly when it comes to fast acceleration. Roll into 1st and front comes up a bit. Just as it comes down but still super light I hit second and it comes back up for about 3 seconds, then it's just light on third. All the while I'm leanin on the tank of course.

Last edited:
Maybe he dumped two NOS energy drinks in the tank when you weren't looking lol.
ha. forever a classic. did he ever reveal he was kidding or not.
A friend of mine has your exact bike weighin in at 120lbs and he can't do that without a yut ugh or lettin' off the throttle and punching it(Just as Jeff said).

Jeffie explained my 600 perfectly when it comes to fast acceleration. Roll into 1st and front comes up a bit. Just as it comes down but still super light I hit second and it comes back up for about 3 seconds, then it's just light on third. All the while I'm leanin on the tank of course.

maybe I got lucky, maybe he did some unseen move to pull it up. But like I said we were both surprised. he's been on a lot of bikes and rode competitively since he was a kid and didn't expect it. He's around 120 as well. Im at 230 and I definetly can't pull it off unless trying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe_foYhTILw

Sure does seem easy wheelie.... Just like the Harley =0

Can you wheelie a 600 in 1st 2nd and 3rd? yes. but it doesn't do it on its own outside of 1st, and even 1st is not all that much of a wheelie unless you pop it up. The idea of a 600 pulling the front up with ease in 3rd gear at what, around 130mph? its just funny. My 350Z can pull on 600s from a roll. They stop pulling hard around 100mph

My bike weighs about 15-20lbs more then your 600 and makes about 75-80 more hp and around double the torque. My 1st gear has no choice but to wheelie and it's still controllable and easy to ride out unless you're bad on the throttle then it will just buck you off or it will break the rear loose. 2nd and 3rd also pull up but its very easy to ride out. 600SS doing the same... MmmHMmm.....not unless you force it to.

I can picturing you or your cuz riding your bike, leaning all the way back and doing full throttle runs lol.

PULL UPPPPPPPPP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uobfakXBtoA

I don't have a ZX10R but my bike lifts the same way, it will give you an idea of what I mean by a bike that does a wheelie on its own. 2nd gear and 3rd gear also lift on my bike with on choice clearly not as much as 1st gear, but it still lifts. I'm 160lbs.

Last edited:
I dont fuck around too much on my bike. So the thought of me pulling it on full on acceleration will always stay just that, a thought. Ive done maybe two wheelies on purpose, never a stand up, and once on accident (went to neutral on accident shifting to second, corrected that problem too quick while still coming down from a high RPM) in my complete noob days. I dont pull them up because I'm not yet comfortable in my ability to control them once there. Like I said I wanted a full season before I started pushing myself further into the limits or rather abilities of the bike. I've got a lot more to learn on the ground before I go fucking around off it. I'm not youre typical "Ima go out n buy me a gixxer so I can pull sum sick ass wheelies!!!" type of new rider. I know the bikes abilities and my limits are no where near close. I have fun on the bike but I respect it and what can happen if I push it too far.
I dont know how or why, but what I saw.

Be careful! in order to get those 3rd gear wheelies on that 600 of yours, your cousin must be riding the hell outta it!

Nice, Chuckanut is an awesome road. I try to hit it at least once a week in my rex. What is your average speed through the south end of the twisties?

I honestly wouldn't know. I never look down, i'm worried I'm going to get ran off the road by an oncoming car because I usually swash across the yellow from time to time.

Only time I ever dropped my gsxr was into the chuckanut firestation parking lot on the gravel near the apron coming back from a run hauling balls. Low sided and broke my shifter off into my leg, but I was geared up, and had all the propper sliding equipment and quazi rode away.

After watching the video I think I know where each our thoughts went astray. I'm not meaning a slow rise up in the front end as power rolls on. I know what you mean by it doing a wheelie on its own. Mine doesnt do that of course. Im meaning just after the shift it'll bring it up. More of an instant onslaught of torque bringing it up rather than it just being leveraged up as it gains slowly. But again he wasnt slipping the clutch to pull it up it was a normal quick shift.

Back