This is ridiculous...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hondadude141

¿pɐǝɥ ɹn ɥʇıʍ uıop nɥɔʇɐʍ
Yes I know some of you hate cops and what not, but I just read this story, and it kind of pisses me off. It seems like the University went a little overboard with the final decision, and I really hope that Houston PD takes into consideration, what he did for their fellow officers, and offers him a job.

Cop fired after helping other officers in distress

It was a Saturday on campus when David Sedmak, a Rice University police officer, heard "Officer down, officer down!" on his scanner: Two members of the Houston Police Department had been shot downtown. Sedmak rushed to the scene to help his fellow officers.
But Rice didn't see Sedmak as a hero. Instead, the university fired him, citing "dereliction of duty."

Thoughts?

Personally, the officer did the right thing. He did is "duty" as any respectable human being would. It's too bad as per usual a school makes the wrong decision. It's the only thing they know how to do.

These are the types of guys who make great cops. They don't have to be in their jurisdiction to help, they always feel the need where ever the problem is. I imagine the media blitz will help him work it out with his former employer or a new employer.

was he a rent a cop or real PD. I know at my NYS school we had both rentacops and state police. and you would think the city has enough of a force to handle its own calls.

i think we need more details before any judgement is made.
was he even supossed to be scanning that frequency?
were there other officers responding?
was he just going to check it out for the sake of checking it out?

i didnt read the article, maybe that would answer my questions, derp

He was a rent a cop, but from the article it said that campus security often helped out local PD.

I would imagine he gets his job back. Or he sues them for wrongful termination. It could be the guy has had a history of skipping out to "help" when help wasn't needed or wanted and that's why he got canned. But I kind of doubt that is the case.

Officially, he 'abandoned his post' at the university. What if that was a distraction to have something major happen at the university?

IMO, the university secrutiy shouldn't be on the same radio band as city PD, and there in lies the overall issue. Only dispatch should have access to local PD.

in a lot of places, the university police are legit police, not just rent a cops.

vanderbilt uni has its own police force. and you dont wanna fuck with those guys, lol. they'll fuck you up, you'll be chasing paper trails for years to get your shit fixed.

from what i gathered, their campus police are police, not security guards.
the only thing that he did wrong was not reporting to his dispatch that he was going to assist.

the article i read (not sure if this is the same one) stated that this should have been a simple disciplinary fix, not a termination. but, thats the schools choice, they probably just lost one of their best officers.

in a lot of places, the university police are legit police, not just rent a cops.

vanderbilt uni has its own police force. and you dont wanna fuck with those guys, lol. they'll fuck you up, you'll be chasing paper trails for years to get your shit fixed.

from what i gathered, their campus police are police, not security guards.
the only thing that he did wrong was not reporting to his dispatch that he was going to assist.

the article i read (not sure if this is the same one) stated that this should have been a simple disciplinary fix, not a termination. but, thats the schools choice, they probably just lost one of their best officers.

This.

He's been a police officer for 17 years and hasn't had any discipline problems at all. Kind of rash if you ask me....

They probably share bands with the local PD in case something goes down at the school. The cops at my place of employment have direct access to local PDs dispatch

i think that he should have been repromanded for not letting anyone know but being fired was to much... yet i have to agree that it would be better to make a descision after getting more info...

Hopefully he called his PBA rep. Not enough details to know if its rightful firing or not. Probably shouldn't have been fired.

probably just shit canned him to hire someone younger and cheaper
betcha

once your head is on the chopping block they look for any technicality to terminate employment

i bet they even hired someone and had this guy train them in the last year
i've heard that story repeated way too many times

i think the days of a 20 year pension are long gone, i think cops need to hit 25 years, and they have to work until full retirement age to receive full benefits, even if they hit 25 years at 45
YMMV

according to the article he arrived, and then other officers arrived after him, so he would be the first responder on the scene and may have saved other peoples lives... although he didn't fatally shoot either officer, which is mind boggling for someone so far out there that they shoot themselves in the head.

although he didn't fatally shoot either officer, which is mind boggling for someone so far out there that they shoot themselves in the head.

who cares? im glad he did.
i wish more criminals would do the same when in a tight spot.

saves us money, thanks to his selfless move, we now dont have to pay his court costs, his attorneys fee's, or the years and years of being in the pen.
thanks idiot criminal, i appreciate your kind act in the end.

who cares? im glad he did.
i wish more criminals would do the same when in a tight spot.

saves us money, thanks to his selfless move, we now dont have to pay his court costs, his attorneys fee's, or the years and years of being in the pen.
thanks idiot criminal, i appreciate your kind act in the end.

Haha exactly my thoughts when reading it!

"OFFICER DOWN"
"ILL BE RIGHT THERE GUYS!!"

425.paulblartmallcop.hames.kevin.lc.011409.jpg

B said:
20 years = pension, right? letting go at 17 = woooooooooohooooooooooo

Most of the time you get to draw once you've vested in your union....which most police are union. Most unions only have a 5 to 10 year vest. But he couldn't really draw full until retirement age. I think the youngest is like 52 1/2 in my state but you take some hefty penalties

Last edited:
Back