This Is What A SOHC ZC Is Made Of...

?

• You suck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Damn that head is crusty&#

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phunky.buddha

Mad scientist
VIP
I pulled the head on my SOHC ZC last night (well, this morning) to replace the head gasket. One of my secondary objectives was to verify just what kind of pistons were in the SOHC ZC block. I've been doing research online, and nobody really seems to know- if they say they do, the information isn't from a primary source- it's always "oh this guy said he saw this" or "it has to be this way".

Well, here it is. Click on the picture to enlarge. I made sure to shoot an angle so that you could see the "ZC" and the "PM6" together in one picture. Check out the rest of the pictures through the link if you want to see the crusty head.

LINK

The SOHC ZC uses the exact same pistons as the D16A6. It's actually the exact same engine, but it is rated at a higher power level than the 106hp D16A6. I have information that leads me to believe that the SOHC ZC cam is more aggressive than the D16A6 cam, but I haven't taken mine out to measure it. The SOHC ZC is usually accepted to have around 118-120hp, and I really don't think that a simple cam upgrade (especially from Honda) would have yielded a 10+hp increase. Maybe the ECU is different too, but I have no way to find that out... I'm not running the SOHC ZC ECU.

Comments?

Ah, so that's where I must have been getting the extra power from huh? :lol:

On another note, the previous owner did a pretty ghetto job on the throttle body. It's a larger Integra unit, but he didn't port the intake manifold to match. There's just a huge step in there between the throttle body and the intake manifold, and that's not good for flow. Oh well, it'll all get swapped out eventually.

:)

I quesiton I have a ZC SOHC and the pistons read PM7 is that in any way diferrent :huh: , it is a ZC I'm sure of that, but why PM7 just a simple question ??? Thanks guys

i love how calesta makes every one of his posts a poll :D
those pistons actually dont look that bad considering how old the motor is, i have a b16 short block at my buddies house with pistons that are super crusty

Originally posted by Drenni@May 6 2003, 09:03 PM
I quesiton I have a ZC SOHC and the pistons read PM7 is that in any way diferrent :huh: , it is a ZC I'm sure of that, but why PM7 just a simple question ??? Thanks guys

The PM7 pistons are the domed pistons... they're the same used in the DOHC ZC. If you have those pistons in your SOHC ZC, chances are that your compression is 9.5:1, using the same combustion chamber size as the DOHC ZC, but that's just a guess.

Can you take a picture of your pistons like I did if you have the head off the block? I want graphical evidence that the PM7 pistons came in the SOHC ZC.

:)

Originally posted by B16@May 6 2003, 09:48 PM
i love how calesta makes every one of his posts a poll :D
those pistons actually dont look that bad considering how old the motor is, i have a b16 short block at my buddies house with pistons that are super crusty

Yup, every post as a poll. It's more fun that way. :lol:

The pistons don't look bad because I had just wiped them off with a shop towel before the picture. Go look in my link- you'll see how crusty the head is.

Originally posted by karnash@May 7 2003, 05:05 PM
would this be a better engine to boost over the y8?

If you put a VTEC head on it, like the Z6 or Y8 head, yes. Otherwise, the head doesn't breathe as well as the Y8's, so the SOHC ZC unmodified would not make as much power under boost as a Y8. The bottom end is stronger though, so you do have that in your favor.

Sohc Zc

I have had two DOHC ZC's and the PM7 Pistons Have A higher Dome in a D16Z6 thave give you a 12.0:1 CR and with out knowing the Comp chamber of the SOHC ZC head i would say you are closer to 11.*:1 CR

Back