this is what happens if you get caught

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It's simple. Don't put my life at risk with your bullshit street racing and there wouldn't be a problem.

You do know that the street scene was born in Southern California, where this took place, right? It's been a huge problem here for many years.
as i said i don't aprove of street racing. maybe instead of crushing the cars (the car is just a machine it can't race without an opperator) they should crush the drivers. there are many responsible people who like fast cars, engine swaps (not illegal engines) guess one bad apple does spoil the bunch.

i don't agree with the street racing thing, but illegal engine or transmission? Too much governmnet is bad government. I really think that the lawmakers infringe upon our liberties too much with shit like this. I understand it's not a perfect world and that the best is trying to be done with a bad situation, but damn that sure is a f'd up way to go about it.
i think they just mean stolen since you can have a BAR'ed swap in ca
i don't think the gov't acting on stolen swaps is bad gov't

Well, I have this theory... don't break the law and no harm will come. But, it's flawed. People who DO break the law can hurt innocent people. That's why they're so adamant about finding all of those who are into the 'street racing' scene. A drunk driver can just as easily kill a pedestrian as a street racer can... that's why both carry heavy penalties. People just don't learn.

^^^(Blanco) exactly why my car is gonna stay stock looking.. if it doesnt look modified, they wont fuck with me.. if they do.. well.. they can kiss my ass because i have my swap BAR'd.. :D

+1 :) I'm worried about exhaust though... but, I guess it's not a biggie anymore. I don't drive the integra. :(

my exhaust looks stock, but doesnt sound it.. hehe.. it looks as if the piping is all hacked up from the owner before.. so i need to have it all redone anyways w/ a highflow cat and resonator

You are COMPLETELY missing the point. It doesn't have anything to do with responsible people because responsible people don't race at 100mph through busy traffic, responsible people don't go to the local industrial park on Friday night to play John Force in front of hundreds to thousands of other stupid kids, and responsible people don't have illegal swaps...whether that be a stolen engine or an engine that is blatantly against the clearly laid out smog laws. I have no sympathy for those people because they reap what they sow. They make my life and the life of every responsible import owner considerably harder because they give the cops a reason to profile us.

well said.

I have yet to get asked to pop my hood. I think the fact that I'm a female and the car looks like ass makes them not think it's a 'street racer' plus, the car really isn't. But, you're right... the cops do seem a bit more apt to pull over a lowered car or one that looks modified... which is sort of unfair, however, you're responsible for what you do to the car.

i have yet to be pulled over in my car period.. they've attempted to give me a front license plate ticket while my car was parked but i had it in the car and showed them so the let it go..

guess i don't understand about the laws there. don't have as strict smog rules. maybe someone could clarify what makes an engine "illegal"

from what i read illegal = stolen
numbers removed from the motors etc

I was pulled over in my car for speeding, but never asked to pop the hood. *shrug*

As for the laws: Blanco is right as far as I can tell. Illegal basically means that if it's not the engine originally installed by the manufacturer, you have to make sure it is compliant with the laws. If it's an engine 'change' using the same series motor and same size (identical to the one originally installed) you just have to tell them so they log the information. Even if you change the motor and it's the same, you're supposed to notify DMV and have a referee check it out so all is documented. I'm sure some have gotten away with a change without notifying the DMV, but I wanted to do it the 'proper' way on purpose.

that's strict, but if you break the law you get what you deserve. if you don't like the laws you have the freedom in this country to try to change the laws leagly. if all the laws are for emissions then so be it, it's a good reason.

I live in vegas for a while and it's a valley city tall mts around it and it really is disqusting when you drive out of the city and look back a the haze of shit that hovers over it, then realise that's what you breath in on a daily basis

I saw an article on this in the LA Times it almost brought a tear to my eye just seeing the cars crushed, I don't necessarily feel bad for them since they were street racing though, keep it on the track peeps....
By the way if you guys want to get fucked with by cops come down to Burbank every other time I drive my Integra I get pulled over, thank God for my bucket daily driver, it's usually because of my exhaust then I ask them whats wrong and they say it's too loud and I say well it's under the legal decibel limit, then I tell them I am an audio engineer and if they want they can come to my work
and I can grab a decibel meter (this is of course not the first few times it happened I was always cool but after awhile its hard) Another Burbank officer pulled me over for my car being too low????? WTF???? He made me pop my hood and he didn't know shit which was probably good for me.

Keep it on the Track and off the streets and you will have no problem except an occasional no front license plate ticket :D

nobody in town even knows who i am, because i dont associate with that group of people.. they meet up and fill parking lots on Saturday nights then the cops come within 20min and then everyone is driving through town getting pulled over.. thats why i cant even have my car modified looking... well, and thieves wont be as attracted to it if it looks stock

. . . occasionally i'll do a 1st and 2nd gear pull but back out at the speed limit or just over.. if its an empty back road then thats a different story

I actualy have a problem with this

heres the thing, and *many* of us are a part of this
we buy used parts on ebay, craigslist, junkyards, ect
we do not know where they originally came from
we did not steal them
we pay hard earned $$ for them
and, we are the end user so we are guilty under the law

I know a guy who bought a motor (B18C1) legally through a junkyard in Mass
He has the receipt w/the VIN from the chassis the motor came from
Problem is, the motor was stolen/swapped in that chassis so the VIN on the motor doesn't match his receipt
Now his (very nicely built) RHD GSR is locked up at the Cranston PD and he cannot get it back, its been there for about 2 weeks now

who should be punished for that...?

for the $3k or whatever he bought the motor for he prob should have called local PD and have em run the serial on the motor and trans
just protection against that kind of investment

carfax is a good idea

the carfax on my stolen car shows
1. stolen
2. vehicle recovered from theft

and then they sent it to be crushed or dismantled without ever telling me
so the carfax might show it as being recovered and sent to be dismantled

Back