This makes me sick I hate this crap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
Today driving to work in my free rental "thanks nissan!" I'm fliping thru the stations since I do not have any of my normal presets. Welp, I ran across some tuesday only show that runs from 10-11am and it's about clean air and the news you don't normaly hear about in the paper.

Turns out the last 2 years tree hugers have been trying to get a bill passed that makes Maryland as with 6 other states adopt CA smog laws. law two years they lost but they're reallllllly pushing to get it passed this year.

the mail thing they were pushing for passing this bill is BECUASE right now they say if you want to buy a hybrid car theres a big waiting list becuase the major companies are not supplying enough. also that theres not enough people that want them because with out the harder smog laws people don't care as much.

ok so theres not enough cars becuase toyota/honda/ford can't make enough fast enough so to fix the problem we should force people to pay money every year for an out the ass smog test and by doing that more people will want to buy hybrids in doing so honda/toyota/ford will some how meet the new demaned that they can't curenty meet? wtf.

Some reasons why people don't want hybrids, 1, have to get on a long waiting list so they say. 2, smog test are not hard enough therefor people don't care.

HOW ABOUT COST? IMO hybrids are still very pricy in the end they do pay for themselfs with fuel savings but the up front cost of the car is very high when for the same money you could buy a RSX or Mazda 6 loaded. and get 30+ mpg

bottom line it makes me sick here people go on and on about how cars are killing this planet and now we need to adopt CA smog laws.

Smog test are a total joke. in maryland it cost I believe 16 bucks it was 12 when I first started driving. If you pass great come again in 2 years if not spend X many dollars and we will wave your car passed.

I look at smog test as being like redlight cameras. does it help out the problem... no not realy does it make a shit load of money for the state? yup.

Then you have shit like making the yellow lights shorter so the chance of running a red light is higher the same goes making the test for smog harder to pass so we pay a higher amount to get that waver.........

This is one of the sites they were pluging on the radio show. They said there was a link for a yes to bill "insert # here" we should all go and using their e-mail setup to say NO to bill "insert # here"

http://www.marypirg.org/

Fuckin eh it pissed me off. plus everyone that called in was a total dumb ass that never asked any worth while questions.

heres the e-mail to the gov.... http://marypirg.org/MD.asp?id=122&id3=MD&id4=MDAA&

just remember they are trying to pass this for SEVEN states in our area.

Load their email full of fucked up letters :p , Actually i dont really care cause i already liive in cali and dont have the slightest idea of the freedom you other people have as far as modifying your cars. Yeah CA smog sucks, but its a fact of life when you have lived here all your life.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Dec 8 2004, 03:08 AM
im safe for a while plus with the new baby i will never have to get a smog sticker anywhere in the world
[post=428302]Quoted post[/post]​

?I'm lost how so?

last time I checked no matter what car you have you still need to get it smogged IF you state has smog testing and if your state happens to be one of the 7 that are trying to pass a bill you will HAVE TO pay X many dollars a year to have your car smogged no matter how new it is.

I have a 2003 350Z and I think I'm up for a smog test this summer.
thankfully maryland is only every 2 years. but if it passes it will be every year, chances are it will also cost more and they could make it like CA where you cannot change any parts on your car with out a CARB like sticker......

i am in the middle of building a 54 belair (502) thus its old enough that smog dosn't apply (i don't need seat bealts)

Originally posted by senate_9427@Dec 8 2004, 01:11 AM
Load their email full of fucked up letters :p , Actually i dont really care cause i already liive in cali and dont have the slightest idea of the freedom you other people have as far as modifying your cars. Yeah CA smog sucks, but its a fact of life when you have lived here all your life.
[post=428304]Quoted post[/post]​

Werd, you learn to get around those laws. If your smog tech is also your family friend, that helps.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Dec 8 2004, 03:16 AM
i am in the middle of building a 54 belair (502) thus its old enough that smog dosn't apply (i don't need seat bealts)
[post=428308]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes you're right however I very much doubt you're going to drive that car everyday.
in the state of maryland everything 25 years or newer has to be smogged. if Maryland picks up the CA smog laws then I have no idea how many years it might be.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Dec 8 2004, 01:14 AM
CA guys what does it cost to smog your car?
[post=428307]Quoted post[/post]​

After the test and certificate that gets sent to the DMV, about 40 bucks if you pass.
If you have a feeling that it isn't going to pass, then they recommend a pretest, which is like 15 bucks. Usually, they just run the pretest, and if it passes, they just go ahead and smog it, and not charge you for the pretest. If it doesn't pass the real test, then your car is identified by the dmv as a "gross-polluter" and yoo get dinged for some ungodly amount of money. I don't know how much, because I have always had a clean bill of health.

Originally posted by jeffie7+Dec 8 2004, 03:14 AM-->
CA guys what does it cost to smog your car?
[post=428307]Quoted post[/post]​
in San Diego, about 25 bucks out the door. But up north in my hometown, its about 75 total. it all depends on the area, bigger cities usually charge less. the machine here is a dyno, too, well kind of.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Dec 8 2004, 03:16 AM
senate_9427
@Dec 8 2004, 01:11 AM
[post=428304]Quoted post[/post]​

Werd, you learn to get around those laws. If your smog tech is also your family friend, that helps.
[post=428309]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup, you gotta find a hook-up here in CA if you want a nice ride

Originally posted by jeffie7+Dec 8 2004, 01:18 AM-->
hcivic.com
@Dec 8 2004, 03:16 AM
[post=428308]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes you're right however I very much doubt you're going to drive that car everyday.
in the state of maryland everything 25 years or newer has to be smogged. if Maryland picks up the CA smog laws then I have no idea how many years it might be.
[post=428311]Quoted post[/post]​

it's 25 years here too.

in San Diego, about 25 bucks out the door. But up north in my hometown, its about 75 total.

Ok great so if we go with CAs smog crap we would go from $70 every 10 years to if it's
$75 every year thats $750 every 10 years with CA smog like test.

btw in maryland we also use the dyno.

Money money money money money money money

I'm sorry what was that about clean air?

maybe that had to do with factories? Come on, lawnmowers polute more then cars

Massachusetts has had California state emissions standards for at least ten years. I don't get what you're whining about. My state inspection is yearly and always $25 a year. Every other year they put my cars on a dyno to do the super check for emissions. Boston is a very densely population area, especially during the week.... and without the smog laws, the air quality would be a lot worse than it is. In the summer, I can still see a decently heavy brown haze on the hot and humid days.

In NYC in the Queens area in particular, they have linked the bad quality to adult onset asthma. I love my lungs, so sorry, I like the smog laws up in Massachusetts. It's not just the kid modifying their cars that's the issue, it's also all the morons that keep older cars without putting the money in to maintain them.... plus the fact that more and more people have cars these days.

And as someone else said, there is always a way to get around the smog check. And btw, I like those no smoking laws pertaining to restaurants and clubs. If you don't appreciate your lungs now, just go up Pikes Peak and try running around the slopes without letting your body adjust to the higher altitudes.

There are two ways to deal with these smog laws.... find a inspection hookup or... work to find a way for properly modded cars to pass. nfn also agrees with you about these laws as they are too general and penalize cars that are actually running cleaner than stock. If your modded car is running as clean or cleaner than stock, that's cool with me. So... I proposed to Matt to organize a group of auto enthusiasts of all car makes to work with these laws. Post in forums and have a writeup in Grassroots Motorsports and other car mags. There should be certified shops in every one of these states that can inspect cars with aftermarket parts and allow them to pass the state emissions board. These shops would have to be above board and no shady dealings or exceptions to the rules. It's time to get off your duff and work with the system, blindly fighting these things is not very productive for either side. One needs to search for good working compromises instead.

i will be daily driving the belair in the summer and the sammi (82) all winter i buy older vehicle cause even after you dump 10g+ into them the insurance is super cheap

Back